Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Fascinated With Kids Diapers
tenderhearts 10:59 AM 02-08-2011
Ok so do any of you have kids that always NEED to know when you're changing a diaper if it's poopy or just pee and they feel the need to discuss it? Just curious, lately my 5 yr old dcg always asks, did he poop? was he just wet? or if I'm going to go change a diaper she'll say oh I think he's poopy? Just wondering if other kids are like this, Ive never had a child so fascinated by it.
dEHmom 11:00 AM 02-08-2011
Is she wanting to help?

I know my daughter would ask simply because if it was poopy she wanted nothing to do with it. If it was just pee, then she'd proceed with "can I change baby's bum"
Blackcat31 11:11 AM 02-08-2011
Not only do mine ask about what is going on in the baby's diaper, they try to gather round and view the changing like it is some sort of craft demonstration! LOL!!! It has to be an age thing because it seems once they hit about 6 yrs old they stop asking me...
kendallina 11:13 AM 02-08-2011
lol...my preschoolers are like this sometimes. I tell them to go play and not worry about it and they do. If I was changing the dipe of a baby, though, instead of toddlers/preschoolers, then I probably wouldn't mind if they wanted the details . I just don't think it's appropriate for all the kids to be talking about my toddler's diapers when she can understand them .
kendallina 11:15 AM 02-08-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Not only do mine ask about what is going on in the baby's diaper, they try to gather round and view the changing like it is some sort of craft demonstration! LOL!!! It has to be an age thing because it seems once they hit about 6 yrs old they stop asking me...
Tell them if they want, they can do some poo painting! Second thought, don't say that, they're going to go home today and tell their parents you're going to do poo painting with them!
Little People 11:18 AM 02-08-2011
Mine do this too!! I wil even ask them if they want the dirty diaper and my 3 yr old will say "sure". I have ask them if they like smelling it and they will say no way!! haha
jessrlee 11:19 AM 02-08-2011
Yes, sometimes it gets so crazy! I also love the older sibs "My brudder pooped in his pants! He is still a baaaaaby!". Lol! The 2.5-4's LOVE pee and poo! As long as it isn't rude or out of line I let them discuss it. Hey, 80 somethings do it all of the time!
SilverSabre25 11:35 AM 02-08-2011
Love this description!

Yeah, my 3 yo does this. She's the oldest one in my care, and she thinks she's a mini-grown-up.
Preschool/daycare teacher 03:17 PM 02-08-2011
Yes! Most of our preschool age girls do this! It got so bad at one point one of our 5 yr olds would get hold of a toddlers pull up (clean, not used!) and put it on over her pants and say, "look! I'm wearing a diaper! come change me." Oh, and trips to the bathroom are fun with the newly potty trained ones... they all have to watch and see if x peed in the potty, and they all get excited for each other when the other one poops in the potty! They announce it, and the others say, "Yay! X pooped in the potty" Like it's a major acheivement! And yes, we get the "was x's diaper clean, or did she poop?", "Is it poopy?", etc.
LindaMJ 06:48 PM 02-08-2011
Yikes! This one is iffy with me. I think the kids are just naturally curious about bodily functions and the whole process of changing a baby's diaper. However, when the baby gets to be about a year old or so. I don't think they need an audience while they're getting changed. When the little ones use the toilet, I have the door half way closed so they have privacy, because I don't think they need an audience. Some things are private, even if there is curiosity. Not to keep it all hush, hush, but I just tell the kids, so and so needs privacy. What do you all think?
ninosqueridos 07:01 PM 02-08-2011
one time my 2.5yo dcb got close to the changing table as I was changing another dcb's diaper....and he told me, "X's bottom is red - he needs some cream!" I just told him my usual "go play toys"
Abigail 08:29 PM 02-08-2011
LindaMJ, I agree. I would stick to saying someone needs privacy. If all the kids were the same age, I see nothing wrong with changing a bunch of 18 month olds in front of each other like in daycare centers with their diaper station in the main room off to the side. Older kids need to have a sense of security and privacy. I'm not hush hush about it, but sometimes enough is enough, LOL
Tags:diaper, diaper kids talk, poop
Reply Up