Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Discipline Suggestions?
Unregistered 06:33 AM 01-23-2012
Logged out for privacy...

I have a 23mo dcg that has been here for around 6 months now. I'm at a loss of what to do with her because she continually misbehaves (like EVERY day, multiple times/day). Now I completely understand toddlers being toddlers, but it is the exact same things every day, and time-outs don't seem to have any effect on the behaviors what-so-ever.

Some examples are taking toys away from other kids, she's always in someones face or touching them in some way, putting toys in her mouth (when I tell her "no toys in mouth" she will look right at me and LICK it!"). Of course, when this happens the toy gets taken away for the day and she sits in a time-out. As soon as she is out, though, she goes right back to what she was doing before the time-out!

She doesn't seem to follow directions well, even though I try to be as clear and to the point as possible (as few words as I can). I'm just at a loss of what to do to make the days less stressful. This morning she took a toy away from ds and he was trying to take it back and she kicked him in the face...PLEASE help!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
countrymom 07:48 AM 01-23-2012
sounds like someone who is use to getting her own way. Hmm, I hate that part. can you put her in a play pen when she does this and let her play with the toys in the play pen till she can behave. I would put her in it the minute she misbehaves, then let her out, the minute she does it again, put her back in. Eventually she'll get that the behavior is inappropriate.
Ariana 07:51 AM 01-23-2012
Could you try telling her what you WANT her to do instead of not what to do? I always say "out of your mouth" instead of "no toys in mouth". This might work but I have a feeling this kid is used to having negative attention at home so feels this is the only way to get attention at your house as well. I would try to get down to her level and tell her why her behaior is not appropriate (they can understand quite a bit at this age) show her how her behavior is affecting others "look you hurt little jimmy, he's crying" and teach empathy by giving the person she hurt positive attenton.

I would also try catching her doing something good and praising her decriptively. "Wow you really did a good job sharing there, Jimmy is so happy you shared with him" etc. Don't just say "good job" but actively tell her what she did that was good and make sure to get to her level. She sounds like an angry child so books about expressing anger might help as well.
tbutler 08:07 AM 01-23-2012
I agree with Arianna. Also, when other kids are playing with toys nicely or playing nicely with their other day care friends, praise them too so she can see the positive behavior and a positive reaction from you. I usually say " I love how Johnny's playing nicely with the cars in the car center. I love how Jane is sitting nicely ready for our day to start (circle time)." it. May take a sec for her to catch on, but it usually works.
Unregistered 08:10 AM 01-23-2012
I've tried numerous variations of saying no toys in the mouth, all seem to end with the same result. Which, putting the toys in the mouth isn't quite as aggravating as her blatantly doing what I told her not to do while looking at me...it's almost as if daring me to do something kwim? I'll try to make a more conscious effort to praise her good behaviors, though. I'm going to bring out the spare pnp and put her in there when she is acting out. I'm open to trying anything...especially since what I've been doing doesn't seem to be working
Reply Up