Crystal 05:12 PM 02-07-2012
Interesting research on spanking:

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/sp...m-canada-study
daycare 05:41 PM 02-07-2012
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Interesting research on spanking:

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/sp...m-canada-study
maybe thats whats wrong with me...lol

sorry, I need to go read it. Thank you for posting, I saw it on yahoo this morning, but did not get time to read it. Only had one kid today too....
Unregistered 06:25 PM 02-07-2012
im just wondering how they got there study materials..... what were they spanking the kids.....????lol
Mary Poppins 06:33 PM 02-07-2012
Thanks for sharing. I happen to live in a state where spanking is legal at home, at school and at daycare.

I would never use corporal punishment on a child in my care and I can't believe the law would allow me to but it sure does!
SilverSabre25 08:06 PM 02-07-2012
does anyone have a link to the study itself? I am curious about how they actually conducted it.

(I absolutely agree with them! I'm just a nerd )
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
does anyone have a link to the study itself? I am curious about how they actually conducted it.

(I absolutely agree with them! I'm just a nerd )
Here is the link to the CMAJ (Canadian Medical Association Journal) that published the article. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/161/7/805.full

It has a bit more in-depth info than the news article.
familyschoolcare 06:30 AM 02-08-2012
What I find interesting is the way they detrimined that the children where spanked or not, they asked them. So what does that say about the children that where spanked when younger but do not remember. I have one of those. My youngest has not been spanked since about age 3 or 4 and does not remember any of it. I wonder if that makes a differnence.
Kaddidle Care 09:19 AM 02-08-2012
I have started and stopped so many times in reply to this article.

I don't agree with it and think it's a bunch of hog wash.

That said, there's a big difference between a swat on the behind and a downright butt beating.

In my generation's day we were all given a swat when we didn't behave, we were taught to respect our elders and while there was the occasional wild child in school, it wasn't like the children of today.

When I first started working in a Daycare my eyes were opened big time.

Just my (not so humble) opinion.
BigMama 09:27 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Thanks for sharing. I happen to live in a state where spanking is legal at home, at school and at daycare.

I would never use corporal punishment on a child in my care and I can't believe the law would allow me to but it sure does!
Legal?! For real? Is it commonly practiced? I would go ape $@*% if someone spanked my child at school!
Kaddidle Care 09:29 AM 02-08-2012
20 States Allow it:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0934191.html

I feel it's strictly a parent's decision. Although Catholic schools have been smacking rulers on knuckles for years. Not sure if they still do it or not.
Country Kids 09:33 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

That said, there's a big difference between a swat on the behind and a downright butt beating.

In my generation's day we were all given a swat when we didn't behave, we were taught to respect our elders and while there was the occasional wild child in school, it wasn't like the children of today.

I second this!
Country Kids 09:37 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by BigMama:
Legal?! For real? Is it commonly practiced? I would go ape $@*% if someone spanked my child at school!
You must have not gone to school when this was commonly practised. I was in school in the 80's-Junior High and High school and received a swat one time in science for chewing gum. My one and only!!! The teachers, Principal and parents back then all meant business. When you where told to do something it better have been done. This was public school also.

Can you imagine what would happen today if the kids would be swatted for using cell phones in school! I bet when a teacher would say no cell phones it would actually be inforced!
Heidi 10:11 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
You must have not gone to school when this was commonly practised. I was in school in the 80's-Junior High and High school and received a swat one time in science for chewing gum. My one and only!!! The teachers, Principal and parents back then all meant business. When you where told to do something it better have been done. This was public school also.

Can you imagine what would happen today if the kids would be swatted for using cell phones in school! I bet when a teacher would say no cell phones it would actually be inforced!
It is NOT legal in WI, and I would be pissed if someone spanked my child (although I have, on occasion, when they were little).

When I was in 8th grade, we had a science teacher that was ex-marine. He kept a tight reign on his classroom. There was a paddle hanging on the wall, although it was not legal to use it.

One day, we were watching a film strip (remember those?) and he was called out of the room for a family emergency phone call. We were told to sit tight and watch the movie. DONT MOVE!

When he came back a few minutes later, Frick and Frack (the class clowns), had decided to randomly mix chemicals in the back of the classroom.

Mr. Teacher walked in, saw what they were doing, and before we could blink, had that paddle off the wall, and paddled both their butts right in front of the whole class!

Oddly enough, it was NEVER brought up again, and I am pretty darn certain those boys did not tell their parents about it. Had they told WHY, I'm pretty sure the parents would have backed the teacher, if not given them another paddling at home!

Like, I said, I would be pissed if a teacher hit MY child, unless they did something like that, and then I would be more shocked at my child's behavior than at the teacher's reaction.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:55 AM 02-08-2012
well I am 34 yrs old and I got spanked when I was little. Im pretty sure I deserved it too.

And i didnt turn out to be horrible child. I was actually a pretty good kid that never felt the need to make my mom mad.

I never snuck out, skipped school, all that stuff.

When my own kids were younger (minus my Stepson) they got wacked on their butt too. They know to be respectfull.

My stepson on the other hand has called cps on me 7 times for sending him to his room.

He even threatened to call cps to my face, and I said let me dial it for ya, and while your talking i'll pack a bag for ya too.

He was the most horrid child I have ever had to deal with. why? because his mother let him get away with everything.

He is now living with her full time and she can deal with the mess she created.

my point is, i will never spank someone elses child.

My own kids are not abused, and they are very respectfull.
My3cents 11:02 AM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Today kid's are encouraged to chew gum. It helps with concentration on testing and focusing. I read somewhere that kids that were allowed to chew gum during testing scored higher then those that did not.

I am against abuse, and think spanking is personal between the parents. I will say there is a big difference between a swat and beating a child. I also think there is a time and a place for it. I think there is a big lack of respect issue in our generation of children, and a gimme gimme world. I think to many children are allowed to be adults before they are potty trained-

Common sense issue- but because so many don't have common sense these days, its easier to protect the idiots-
Crystal 02:19 PM 02-08-2012
I didn't spank my own children and would never do so with a DCK.

On one hand I agree with the study and I disagree with spanking. However, I still think that, within reason, parents should be able to discipline thier children as they see fit. We all have our own philosophy of child rearing and I don't think it's "big brother's" business, so long as the line isn't crossed into abuse territory.

I am really curious to see what they end up doing with this and what the outcome will be because of this study, if anything at all.
mac60 03:12 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:

I agree with you 100%.
AfterSchoolMom 05:21 AM 02-09-2012
I agree with Kadiddle Care and Mac60. Sorry, I know it's not popular opinion.

I would never spank someone else's child. I have and will spank my own, and they know it. We also have a very loving and close relationship...and they're both incredibly smart. They also know how to follow rules and how to respect adults.

If someone else can produce well mannered, respectful children without spanking them, then that's great! I feel it's a personal family choice, as it should remain.
SilverSabre25 06:14 AM 02-09-2012
My opinion on spanking aside...

I think that the big key--and one that no research study *I* know of has addressed, is how the spanking is carried out and how often the child is spanked. Spanked for every little misbehavior, the way we redirect daycare kids, with no talk or explanation, almost certainly has a more deleterious effect than spankings given mainly for major offenses, with explanations (the way you're supposed to talk before and after a time out).
MrsB 06:23 AM 02-09-2012
I definately think that is a personal desicion too. I think it depends on the child too. I have 4 and 1 of mine gets the point with the spanking. The other 3 it just isnt effective. I think parents need to remember that what works for one child wont work for another.

I live in a corporal punishment is allowed and parents can give authorization to others to use it too whether it be a daycare provider or teacher. Although I have been in situations where I thought to myself, if this was my kid a swat is what she needs to get her attention that I mean business, I wouldnt dream of it. Instead I have strict guidelines, am always consistent, and I Follow through.

I think part of the problem today is parents have a hard time telling their kids no and following through. Parents want their kids approval. Almost like they are looking for affirmation from their kids that they are a good parent. Which is just crazy. They ask their kids to do something instead of telling them to do it. Sometimes I want to scream at parent, "Hello! Your children are looking to you for guidance and direction, not where kids and parents sit down and come up with a plan on how they are going to be raised!" I am not really sure why parents approach raising their kids with this attitude. I am guessing, but maybe out of guilt because they spend so many hours out of the home?

I'm sure alot of you have the same thing, where the kids are for the most part well behaved when they are with you, and then mom/dad walk in the door and they turn into someone completely different! What cracks me up is watching a parent sit there and reason with a 2 year old! LOL. Now that right there is my comic relief for the day!
countrymom 06:42 AM 02-09-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I agree with Kadiddle Care and Mac60. Sorry, I know it's not popular opinion.

I would never spank someone else's child. I have and will spank my own, and they know it. We also have a very loving and close relationship...and they're both incredibly smart. They also know how to follow rules and how to respect adults.

If someone else can produce well mannered, respectful children without spanking them, then that's great! I feel it's a personal family choice, as it should remain.
I agree too. I seriously think that if more parents learned to discipline their children better there wouldn't be so many mouthy, rude.....you get the picture, kind of children. I mean, who tries to hit their mom in subway because she didn't get mayo on his sub, and he was 9yrs old.
Kaddidle Care 04:01 PM 02-09-2012
Forgot to add that I would not spank someone else's child. That is up to the parent(s) to decide.

I would not be happy if someone else (in school) spanked my child either although I did tell family members with my first that if he did anything bad enough they had my permission. This was said in front of him to make sure he didn't try any stunts.
littlemissmuffet 05:44 AM 02-10-2012
I was spanked as a child and I'm no worse off for it. As a matter of fact, I was never spanked for the same reason twice

I will spank my own child. I have spanked my sister's children. I would never spank anyone else's children, however, and I would be livid if I found out that anyone outside my family (school, daycare, etc) spanked my child.

I agree with the PPs who say it should be a personal decision.
Unregistered 07:38 AM 02-10-2012
I was never spanked as a child and also was a very obedient and good kid. There are other ways to discipline kids besides spanking, it just takes more time and patience.

Unless you are a perfect human with a doctorate in psychology there is no way to know how spanking has affected your life.
Michelle 09:19 AM 02-10-2012
Prisons are full of people that were never spanked or spanked too much,beaten,etc.
A really good book on discipline is Dare to discipline by Dr. Dopson and also The Strong Willed Child.
I had a friend that was beaten so severely as a child that she refused to discipline her children at all and the oldest was arrested at 11 and both have been suspended from school and kicked out of every daycare they were in... including mine.

So, there is a happy medium and not every child needs to be spanked, just depends on the child. There is a right way and a wrong way to spank.
Love, hugs and talking needs to follow.
Tags:punishment, spanking
Reply Up