Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advertising
MsLaura529 01:30 PM 02-11-2013
Hi. I am sure this thread has already been done before, and I apologize for repeating it, but I'm just wondering - what was your most successful avenue for geting calls/interviews/kids?

I am playing the waiting game right now - sent in my license application over a week ago, so now I'm just getting anxious about when and how to start up.

I am planning on putting up fliers in some of the libraries, dance studios, grocery stores, etc. I know that our local paper is about $50 for a month ad, so I'm not sure about doing that... any other ideas would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks!
Laura
MarinaVanessa 01:38 PM 02-11-2013
Referrals used to be my most successful way to get new clients but lately it's been a combination of different online advertiseing which I work all together (website, Google Local, free Google Business listing, creative Craigslist advertising etc.).

I do all of the following and then create a Craigslist ad last. Thats how I've been getting all of my new clients.
butterfly 01:45 PM 02-11-2013
Register with your local referral agency.

Register with your state listing.

When I started I put an ad in a free local paper - was very cheap and I got lots of calls from that.

Put it on your facebook - tell all your friends.

I know some that have good luck with craigslist. In my area, it looks like a lot of creepers that advertise on there, so I haven't personally done it. - Other areas have great success though.

I would say I got most of my clients from word of mouth.

I see lots of ads posted at the gas stations, laundromat, library, kid's thrift stores...
MsLaura529 03:11 PM 02-11-2013
Thanks ladies. I'm a bit leery of the craigslist advertising ...

Oh, the kids' thrift store is a great idea - we just had a local one open up.

Ok, and one more question - do you think I should start putting out fliers now, even though I don't have my license yet? I know I can't take kids yet ... but maybe if parents are doing interviews for a couple months ahead? Would you think it would be safe that I could advertise that I would be open in March?
SunnyDay 03:20 PM 02-11-2013
I feel like Craigslist is today's version of a newspaper ad. The people you find there aren't going to be any weirder than the newspaper, in my opinion.

Our clients are all word of mouth referrals or from Craigslist. I am also in MI
Patches 05:03 PM 02-11-2013
I would say 95% of my calls are from craigslist
rmc20021 06:38 PM 02-11-2013
Nearly all of my calls have been from Craigslist also. When I first reopened January 2012, I had one child for my first 9 months who had gotten my name from the DHS website.

Finally, I discovered Craigslist and that is how I've gotten all my kids as well.
I recently created a website, a facebook page for my daycare, ordered business cards and put up fliers. But I still think Craigslist is going to be the way to go in the small community I live in.

Not once, neither this time around or when I had daycare when my own daughters were little. did I ever get a call from the local newspaper.
Starburst 07:49 PM 02-11-2013
They have some good ideas here, and they have lots of advice and activities for new providers

http://www.simplydaycare.com/daycare-marketing.html
NeedaVaca 05:22 AM 02-12-2013
I have gotten 100% of my DCK's from Craigslist
melilley 05:45 AM 02-12-2013
Hi! I'm from MI too! I just opened and I have put my ad on CL and that's what I've been getting calls from. There are weirdo's out there, but I honestly haven't gotten any so far. In this day and age that is where people go to look for childcare. Just have them email you first then you can kind of screen them. I did put my # and have only gotten calls for childcare, thankfully no non childcare calls. Also like MV said, make a website and put that you have one in your ad. I've gotten compliments from parents who call me. There's also www.childcarecenterus.com where you can advertise your home daycare, but you need a license first. Also, when you get your license, the state will put you on their list of licensed providers. www.greatstartconnect.com is a great tool and you will be on there too when you get licensed. I'm not sure how many parents actually go to the state's site to get referrals though but at least your name is out there! Also, make business cards. I made 250 of them through Vistaprint and only paid $5.99! I don't think many people look at the classifieds in paper newspapers anymore, so that may be a waste of money. I looked in ours and there wasn't even a section for childcare.
What area are you from?
GoodKarma 07:06 AM 02-12-2013
The majority of my calls are from my website.
Little Star75 08:46 AM 02-12-2013
All my kids are from my Craigslist advertising and I post my ad under the Childcare section. If you list it somewhere else most likely you have to pay.

It's ok to start advertising 2 months before however, make sure to state that on your ad and flyer. I did the same when I knew I was starting. I started advertising in April but didnt start until June (with one family). I got my licensed till July which was ok since you are allowed to care for one family before getting licensed so it worked out for me.

Good luck
butterfly 09:39 AM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by MsLaura529:
Thanks ladies. I'm a bit leery of the craigslist advertising ...

Oh, the kids' thrift store is a great idea - we just had a local one open up.

Ok, and one more question - do you think I should start putting out fliers now, even though I don't have my license yet? I know I can't take kids yet ... but maybe if parents are doing interviews for a couple months ahead? Would you think it would be safe that I could advertise that I would be open in March?
I would say it's fine to advertise early as long as you are sure of your open/start date. I did this when I advertised too. I put something like "new in home daycare opening Aug. 2..." As long as the parents know they can't start immediately and you are certain that your license will be complete by whatever date you decide.
MsLaura529 04:51 AM 02-13-2013
Well, looks like craigslist is the way to go so far, haha. I put an ad on there yesterday morning, stating that I am still working on getting my license and will not be open until early spring of 2013. I received two e-mails yesterday, one just asking about my rates, and the other one is for a part-time 1 yr old who I e-mailed back and forth with a couple times, answering her questions, and she wants me to call her as soon as I get my license so she can come over for an interview! I know not to get my hopes up about it yet, but I was shocked that it started so quickly.
Tags:advertising
Reply Up