Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>3 Month Old - Used To Bottle Propping
craftymissbeth 09:46 AM 02-25-2014
I have a 3 month old dcb whose parents ONLY feed him his bottles by sitting him in his bouncer or car seat and prop his bottles. Literally any time he makes a peep he gets a bottle propped in his mouth.

I obviously will NOT do this, but it seems like he's so accustomed to having a bottle in his mouth that he's extremely unhappy unless he's eating.

I've already expressed my concerns and educated the family on how dangerous what they're doing is.

My question is: how do I get him out of the habit of getting a bottle every time he cries? Today I tried a modified version of nannyde's infant schedule of tummy time to get him good and exercised, a 6 ounce bottle, thoroughly burped, diaper changed, woombie on, and a nap in the pack n play.

They don't do tummy time at all at home. He rarely leaves his seats.

For the most part I can see how if I keep this up it will help, but he can't be calmed down even after he's had a 6 ounce bottle unless you stick another in his mouth. He won't take a pacifier.

Any thoughts?
ColorfulSunburst 10:08 AM 02-25-2014
I can recommend for his parents to start constantly to sit on a sofa. And if they try to ask about something they have to get not what they want but food. 3 months non-stop.

MCC 10:08 AM 02-25-2014
NO advice, but I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 month old here, and his parents are doing the exact same thing with the propping of bottles, and feeding every time he cries.

This morning I asked DCM when he last ate, and she said, "oh, on the way here" I ask what she meant, and she said "I propped a bottle while he was in his car seat".
Annalee 10:11 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:
NO advice, but I'm in the same boat. I have a 6 month old here, and his parents are doing the exact same thing with the propping of bottles, and feeding every time he cries.

This morning I asked DCM when he last ate, and she said, "oh, on the way here" I ask what she meant, and she said "I propped a bottle while he was in his car seat".
This is happening more and more due to the fast-paced lifestyles of families. It does make it difficult for providers. Luckily, all my kids are over one right now, so NO bottles. I see the bottle issue not getting any better soon!
craftymissbeth 10:19 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by MCC:

Yup. My dcb gets fed a bottle on the way over... propped up by a blanket
mountainside13 10:35 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I have a 3 month old dcb whose parents ONLY feed him his bottles by sitting him in his bouncer or car seat and prop his bottles. Literally any time he makes a peep he gets a bottle propped in his mouth.

I obviously will NOT do this, but it seems like he's so accustomed to having a bottle in his mouth that he's extremely unhappy unless he's eating.

I've already expressed my concerns and educated the family on how dangerous what they're doing is.

My question is: how do I get him out of the habit of getting a bottle every time he cries? Today I tried a modified version of nannyde's infant schedule of tummy time to get him good and exercised, a 6 ounce bottle, thoroughly burped, diaper changed, woombie on, and a nap in the pack n play.

They don't do tummy time at all at home. He rarely leaves his seats.

For the most part I can see how if I keep this up it will help, but he can't be calmed down even after he's had a 6 ounce bottle unless you stick another in his mouth. He won't take a pacifier.

Any thoughts?
Have you tried different types of binkeys? It took me trying 6 different brands when I was in your situation. Good luck!
craftymissbeth 10:41 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
Have you tried different types of binkeys? It took me trying 6 different brands when I was in your situation. Good luck!
Good idea!
nannyde 10:49 AM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by Annalee:
This is happening more and more due to the fast-paced lifestyles of families. It does make it difficult for providers. Luckily, all my kids are over one right now, so NO bottles. I see the bottle issue not getting any better soon!
I don't think it is because of fast pace life. I think it's because it's easy and it stops the baby from crying.
Bookworm 04:50 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I don't think it is because of fast pace life. I think it's because it's easy and it stops the baby from crying.

renodeb 10:56 AM 02-26-2014
Thats so sad that they dont hold the baby when feeding him? I would probably help if the parents would stop propping at home. A lot of parents don't think of tummy time because most babies dont like it and fuss. Hang in there.
Blackcat31 01:20 PM 02-26-2014
Give them the schedule YOU are trying to place the baby on. Tell them they must follow it too or you won't be able to keep their child.

Tell them you WILL be able to tell if they are or aren't following your suggestions....it won't be hard to.

If they truly want to do what is best for their child, they should at least be open to advice from someone who DOES know about taking care of children.

I wouldn't normally request DCF's follow MY schedule but for those families who simply don't have a clue or are the epitome of lazy, I absolutely feel it is okay to do.
Tags:bottle, bottle - propping, crying, infant, infant - crying, irresponsible parents, lazy, no cry parenting
Reply Up