Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dck taking the summer off - anticipating bad return.. Help!
Indoorvoice 07:11 AM 06-03-2015
So I have an 18 month old here who I had to work very hard with on getting her to nap and just generally being a part of a group. She is very coddled at home and has a hard time not being center of attention. It was a lot of work, but she actually naps on her own now and plays with toys. Dcm is a teacher and is paying a holding fee to keep dcg home for the summer. I'm guessing it's going to be tough when she comes back and I won't be able to spend as much time getting her back on our schedule because I have an infant here now. I would feel bad terming her when she comes back since they'll be paying all summer to hold her spot. Dcm is not willing to send her a few times during the summer for my drop in rate so I don't know what do. Should I talk to Dcm about my concerns? What is a gentle way to say this? Or should I just give her the benefit of the doubt?
NoMoreJuice! 07:13 AM 06-03-2015
Your instinct is probably correct...you will have a heck of a time retraining when dcg returns from having all that attention to herself. I would probably not say anything, but give her 30 days when she returns to settle in or term.
AmyKidsCo 07:27 AM 06-03-2015
Honestly, why borrow trouble? She'll be 3 months older when she comes back and maybe it won't even be an issue. Not to mention, when we're looking for problems we always find them, so I'd take a positive attitude and see what happens in the fall. You can always readjust later.
NoMoreJuice! 07:48 AM 06-03-2015
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Honestly, why borrow trouble? She'll be 3 months older when she comes back and maybe it won't even be an issue. Not to mention, when we're looking for problems we always find them, so I'd take a positive attitude and see what happens in the fall. You can always readjust later.
I changed my mind, I like her answer so much better!

I am so negative today. Must be the weather (flooding)
NightOwl 08:04 AM 06-03-2015
Ditto! It could go either way. So just go into fall with a positive attitude and she may surprise you.
daycarediva 08:38 AM 06-03-2015
I agree, the older they get the more they appreciate the independence of daycare. I would see how it goes in September. Of course, if it turns bad, and she doesn't adjust, give the appropriate notice and term.
hope 08:41 AM 06-03-2015
I agree with what PPs have said about thinking positively. You can not assume that it will go badly. I would however have a talk with dcm. I would tell her that sometimes kids come back from break where they are the only child and have a hard time adjusting back to group care. Let her know your worries about nap time. Leave it at that then. If the child comes back in the fall and can't adjust then you have given dcm the opportunity to avoid tje issue. Its on her then.
Play Care 09:28 AM 06-03-2015
This. I have mostly teachers kids and have yet to have an issue with returning kids. If anything they are usually older, wiser and more fun.
Indoorvoice 09:57 AM 06-03-2015
Thanks for your input everyone. I have a tough time staying positive with this family, so it's a good reminder to hear from you to not always expect the worst.
Blackcat31 10:05 AM 06-03-2015
This^^ was what was going through my head as I was reading the original post.

I am a positive person by nature and I think the MOST used phrase that comes out of my mouth is usually "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it"

...until then, enjoy the scenery.
Fiddlesticks 10:21 AM 06-03-2015
I have several teacher's children (I am working toward summers off) and I worried about this in the beginning, but so far it has not been a problem, I have had five different children go through this, with returning ages at 8 months/20 months/2 1/2; 12 months/2years/3 years; 6 months/18 months; 5 months/17 months; and 9 months/21 months (all of these children have had multiple summers off) and the only adjustment period was my own going from summer schedule to school schedule. 😄 So maybe she will come back happier to be there, you never know.
Leigh 11:06 AM 06-03-2015
I have a child who had last summer off (he just turned 2 when he left). Upon return, he had a few weeks of whining and adjustment, but he was soon back in the groove.
kitykids3 12:53 PM 06-03-2015
I have a 13 mo old that will be gone for the summer too and he's always been a clingy not wanting to do it himself type. The same thought had crossed my mind, but I figured I'd wait and see how it goes. He can be retrained and will be older.
Reply Up