Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Young 2-Year-Old Lying to Mom or Is DCM Lying?
Indoorvoice 12:47 PM 01-20-2016
I have this young 2 yo dcg. Just turned 2 in Nov. She does have very good verbal skills, but I would be surprised that her comprehension is at the level of making up lies to her mom. Dcm comes in nearly everyday with these crazy things that her 2 yo is telling her about me. Today it was "Ms. Indoorvoice says sucking thumb is yucky." I do only let her suck it in a certain spot and then we wash immediately but I doubt I tell her it's yucky. Yesterday she apparently told her mom that I called her a dummy and threw her shirt in the trash! I don't know if I should totally believe that this little 2 year old is saying these things, but then why would dcm be bringing this up to me and how should I respond? It's so awkward! I don't want to say your daughter is a liar, but I'm not going to stand there and act like it's ok either. Any insight /advice?
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I have this young 2 yo dcg. Just turned 2 in Nov. She does have very good verbal skills, but I would be surprised that her comprehension is at the level of making up lies to her mom. Dcm comes in nearly everyday with these crazy things that her 2 yo is telling her about me. Today it was "Ms. Indoorvoice says sucking thumb is yucky." I do only let her suck it in a certain spot and then we wash immediately but I doubt I tell her it's yucky. Yesterday she apparently told her mom that I called her a dummy and threw her shirt in the trash! I don't know if I should totally believe that this little 2 year old is saying these things, but then why would dcm be bringing this up to me and how should I respond? It's so awkward! I don't want to say your daughter is a liar, but I'm not going to stand there and act like it's ok either. Any insight /advice?
Start telling mom all sorts of outlandish things DCG tells you about her.

Watch how quickly mom changes her tune.
racemom 05:05 PM 01-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Start telling mom all sorts of outlandish things DCG tells you about her.

Watch how quickly mom changes her tune.
Or when she tells you these things, Laugh and say yes, she tells me outlandish things you do also! Leave her wonder what dcg has said to you.
MissAnn 05:49 PM 01-20-2016
I had a boy lie about something here and the mom pulled him out. I was appalled that she did not believe me....what he said did not happen and was actually not possible. I don't put up with kids who lie. It's a deal breaker for me and I let parents know this. Too risky.
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 01-21-2016
Two year olds are making up stories, 6 yos would be lying. Big difference.
I had a 3 yo dcb tell dcm once that all I fed him was bread and water. Then a current dcg would come in with a new scratch or something and I'd ask her how she got her boo-boo. Her answer was daddy did it or grandma did it, which dcm and I knew was NOT true. Kids make up stories. I wouldn't put much stock into what dcg is saying and just lightly approach it with dcm saying little ones tell stories all the time, it's when they get older that you have to be more mindful.

I also had a 6 yo dcb tell me 1 of my SA touched him inappropriately which we found out to be a lie. He was talked to by both me and dcm as to how serious that was of an accusation. I added that report to his folder.

So yeh, there is a definite difference. Dcps who will believe everything a 2 yo says need to take a course on child development.
MissAnn 06:32 AM 01-21-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I had a 3 yo dcb tell dcm once that all I fed him was bread and water. Then a current dcg would come in with a new scratch or something and I'd ask her how she got her boo-boo. Her answer was daddy did it or grandma did it, which dcm and I knew was NOT true. Kids make up stories. I wouldn't put much stock into what dcg is saying and just lightly approach it with dcm saying little ones tell stories all the time, it's when they get older that you have to be more mindful.

I also had a 6 yo dcb tell me 1 of my SA touched him inappropriately which we found out to be a lie. He was talked to by both me and dcm as to how serious that was of an accusation. I added that report to his folder.

So yeh, there is a definite difference. Dcps who will believe everything a 2 yo says need to take a course on child development.
Exactly! When Parents believe that two or three-year-old it can be very damaging and your program! A lie like that closed my program while an investigation occurred. A lie like that closed my program while in investigation occurred.
Indoorvoice 06:54 AM 01-21-2016

I agree. In this case, the dcm hasn't come out and told me that she believes these things, but she just reiterates these stories to me everyday. I don't know why she feels the need to tell me and I'm thinking little dcg isn't actually bright enough to be making all these claims against me. I'm wondering if dcm is making these stories up, but I can't figure out the purpose behind it. Maybe she suspects I'm doing something wrong and trying to get me to admit something, or is she trying to get me to see how smart dcg is? I just don't get it! Like today she told me dcg told her I wouldn't let her have drinks. Obviously that's ridiculous, so why would dcm even say that to me? I just blank stared at her. In my experience, if I ask dcg something, she looks away and won't answer accurately, so I'm having a hard time believing dcg is telling dcm these extremely detailed stories. She's 2! I'm trying to decide if this is harmless and dcm is just weird and desperate or if I need to term.
rosieteddy 09:14 AM 01-21-2016
I would look the child in the eye and say "that sounds like a story to me,is that something you dreamed about or wished had happened?".Then I would tell Mom that she needs to trust me. I would never throw a shirt away ect she is validating the childs stories. Probably making the child want more attention the more outrageous the stories are. There was a provider closed down for a story.It nearly ruined her childs life.This can be very damaging if it continues.
Ariana 05:00 PM 01-21-2016
I have a DCM that does something similar but it's mostly that her child is talking in complete sentences and is developmentally heads and tails from where he is when with me. I usually just smile and nod. In your case I would say something like "why is she saying these things....very odd"
Heidi 03:39 PM 01-22-2016

Tags:lying
Reply Up