Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Strict Are You About Your Sick Policy?
Indoorvoice 11:12 AM 03-18-2016
So let's say a dck stayed home with a fever one day. The parent calls you that same day and says dck hasn't had a fever since 10:00 am without meds and they'll be back tomorrow at 7am. So technically child hasn't been fever free for a whole day, but they were out a whole day from daycare. Do you make them stay home the whole next day or let them come back?
daycarediva 11:20 AM 03-18-2016
Did they have meds AT ALL that day? If they had a fever, and were given meds at 10am (or honestly, at all the day prior) I would not count that as symptom free. With NO meds given, with a normal appetite and behavior (and if I trusted the parent completely) I would let them return.
MunchkinWrangler 11:27 AM 03-18-2016
That one is hard. I agree with Daycare Diva, how well do you trust this family. If you don't I would make them stay out another day. Fevers don't break that easily most of the time.
Indoorvoice 11:48 AM 03-18-2016
This is a family who "forgets" policies and constantly pushes boundaries. They said "dck is doing good, will be back tomorrow." Rubbed me the wrong way. Everything I can think of to write back sounds angry.
DaveA 11:50 AM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
This is a family who "forgets" policies and constantly pushes boundaries. They said "dck is doing good, will be back tomorrow." Rubbed me the wrong way. Everything I can think of to write back sounds angry.
In that case I would say follow policy to the letter. If it was a family that I've had really good luck with I would probably have no problem with it.
MunchkinWrangler 11:57 AM 03-18-2016
What does your policy say, remind them it is 24 hours symptom free. Do you have a time you don't allow drop offs after?
Blackcat31 12:28 PM 03-18-2016
So let's say a dck stayed home with a fever one day. The parent calls you that same day and says dck hasn't had a fever since 10:00 am without meds and they'll be back tomorrow at 7am. So technically child hasn't beven fever free for a whole day, but they were out a whole day from daycare. Do you make them stay home the whole next day or let them come back?
I am super strict about my illness policy.
I firmly believe I have little to no illness because of it.
I have 12 kids daily, age 13 mos to age 5 and live in Minnesota so trust me when I say that (very little illness) is a big deal.... lol!

I would tell the family that being fever free without meds since 10 am is NOT a FULL 24 hours and since I require a FULL 24 hours (not 20 or 22 but 24) the child may not return.

Of course, I have a "back up" clause in my illness policy (24/48 hour rule) that would certainly impact the parent's decision to bring the child or not.

If they sent the child the following day and the child was sent home, they would be excluded for 48 hours and not be allowed to return without a Dr's note.

If they choose to not push my policy of requiring 24 FULL hours, they would be golden to bring the child and not face the possibility of missing additional time out.
Snowmom 01:27 PM 03-18-2016
I'm strict.
Mean strict.

I'd still exclude.
The child had a fever TODAY. I don't care what time it was, it was still today. Give them time to recover and we'll see you in 2.

Although... expect to NOT be told next time.
childcaremom 01:43 PM 03-18-2016
Originally Posted by DaveArmour:
In that case I would say follow policy to the letter. If it was a family that I've had really good luck with I would probably have no problem with it.

I would stick to the 24 hour rule and check his temp at drop off.
childcaremom 01:43 PM 03-18-2016
I would exclude the full 24 hours. And reiterate that it's 24 hours without any meds.

Then, when he is clear to come back, check his temp at drop off.
daycare 01:57 PM 03-18-2016
I would still exclude as well. Not only is the child still possibly contagious, the child's immune system is still not fully recovered if they had fever the day before, no matter what time it was.

So if dck comes back tomorrow, they are not only setting up others to get sick, but they are setting their child to get sick again possibly with anything do to his immune system not having the chance to fully recover.

My health county coordinator says fevers really should be a 48 hour clearance for all kids....again for that kid's safety and the safety of all others. I just follow what she says.
Tags:contagious, sick policy
Reply Up