Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Same Sex Siblings???
youretooloud 10:37 AM 04-12-2011
I was just thinking about this last night.

In the past 12 years, out of all of my sibling sets, only four of them have been a Brother/sister set. One of those four have different fathers.

All the rest (over 20 sets) have been all same sex siblings.

Is there anything scientific about that? Or is it just some odd occurance I have, and nobody else has?
nannyde 10:57 AM 04-12-2011
I haven't had that but I don't have sibs much.

I have had three of four of my kids be left handed. That is very weird since only one in ten people are left handed.

I've had a left handed kid run for almost five years. Very weird.
youretooloud 11:00 AM 04-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I haven't had that but I don't have sibs much.

I have had three of four of my kids be left handed. That is very weird since only one in ten people are left handed.

I've had a left handed kid run for almost five years. Very weird.
Hmm.. I have three kids who are left handed. One is an identical twin, and her twin is right handed.. the other two are fraternal twins, and they both seem to prefer the left hand, but they are still very young... so it's hard to say for sure.
Michelle 11:28 AM 04-12-2011
yes I have experienced that too!
and when theres a boy/girl set... there is almost always a different father, never thought of it though
MsMe 11:53 AM 04-12-2011
I have 3 boy/girl siblings, 1 girl/girl, and 1 family with 3 boys.
Missani 11:58 AM 04-12-2011
I don't know, but I have 2 boys. Before doing daycare, I worked in a small office with about 15 women (and one man-poor thing!). Of all of us that were mothers, only one had boy-girl. All the others had boy-boy or girl-girl. We all had 2 children. Strange.

As far as my dcks, I have two sibling sets and they are both boy-girl. So, I suppose that doesn't help you.
WImom 12:01 PM 04-12-2011
In my own family I have two girls. Then everyone else in the family that has two kids only (from boths sides of our family) all have 2 boys. So we have 6 boys and my two girls. I find that so wierd.

For daycare kids though both my sibling sets are boy/girl (one is set of boy/girl twins) and one other family has a school age boy and then a girl that is here.
Abigail 12:04 PM 04-12-2011
This isn't dck's but of my family one of my sisters has two boys and my other sister had a girl and 3 younger boys. We came from a family of three girls and my DH is from a family of 3 boys....what do you think we'll have? LOL
Country Kids 12:25 PM 04-12-2011
My dck families are like this=1 girl + 1 Older brother (same dad)+2 older brothers (twins/different dad than younger two) Next family=2 brothers Next family=3 girls Next family=3 boys (2 different dads) Next 2 families=Only children

My husband is the youngest of 6 boys. First son had 1 son/2 daughters, Next 3 sons had 2 daughters each, Next son had 1 son,1 daughter then a set of twin boys. Then with wife #2 a daugher My husband and I had 1 daughter, 1 son, 1 daughter then another son.

My family goes girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, boy, girl (I know kind of hard to believe but its like my husband and mines minus 3 children)
Michelle 01:09 PM 04-12-2011
my husband and I have 3 boys and 3 girls born in that order
(Brady bunch) but unfortunately we don't have an Alice to clean and cook
TBird 07:50 AM 04-13-2011
Okay.....not to sound "yucky" (I'm about to talk about sperm) but this could be scientific.

Since the man's sperm determines the sex of the baby by providing the "X" or the "Y" chromosome to go with the mom's X, it could be possible that the "hearty" (and heavier) X chromosome (which makes girls) is making it to the egg...... or the (faster) Y chromosome (which makes boys) is making it to the egg all the time in these specific families with same sex children. And let's not forget that the X sperm which makes females live a little longer than the Y sperm which makes males. It just seems that maybe the families with two girls or two boys may be determined by the temperature of dad's __________, life of his sperm, etc.

OK.....SOOOOOOOO SHUTTING UP NOW....THE UN-DOCTOR HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
youretooloud 07:58 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
And let's not forget that the X sperm which makes females live a little longer than the Y sperm which makes males.
Isn't it always like that? You never see women jumping off the second floor stairwell on a skateboard. It's no wonder the female sperm lives longer... the boys are off video taping their stupid stunts.
boysx5 08:08 AM 04-13-2011
the three siblings that I have had in care have all been same sex they do say the more children you have of the same sex you will keep on having for me that proved true I have five sons wouldn't try again for fear of twin boys
Meeko 08:28 AM 04-13-2011
I had two boys....then a ten year break and then two girls!
dEHmom 09:09 AM 04-13-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Okay.....not to sound "yucky" (I'm about to talk about sperm) but this could be scientific.

Since the man's sperm determines the sex of the baby by providing the "X" or the "Y" chromosome to go with the mom's X, it could be possible that the "hearty" (and heavier) X chromosome (which makes girls) is making it to the egg...... or the (faster) Y chromosome (which makes boys) is making it to the egg all the time in these specific families with same sex children. And let's not forget that the X sperm which makes females live a little longer than the Y sperm which makes males. It just seems that maybe the families with two girls or two boys may be determined by the temperature of dad's __________, life of his sperm, etc.

OK.....SOOOOOOOO SHUTTING UP NOW....THE UN-DOCTOR HAS LEFT THE BUILDING!!!
This is a theory, but not scientifically proven If the man is lets say, trying to ummm, pull out faster, it's a girl. If he's making sure the sperm is released as close as possible to the egg then it's a boy.

That's my 2 cents...

My mom was 14th born, 11 girls 3 boys in that family.
My dad was 1 of 2 boys
My own- 3 kids girl, boy boy

1 dcf 2 boys
1 dcf 1 girl another girl due any day
1 dcf 3 boys
rest are all only children.
Tags:siblings, siblings - same gender
Reply Up