Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Physical Contact Among Sibs..What Do You Allow

So, in the past, I have always had a "no wrestling" policy. It has never been a real issue until now.

4 of the 5 children in my group are sibs. 4, 3, and 14 mo twins. They like to "hug". mostly the toddlers. But all day long, I am repeating "gentle hands" and "ok, that's a hug, now enough...wrestling is not ok here". Or, "lets go play with toys now"

The "hugging" more often leads to hair pulling and biting than not. My other dcb, 18 mo, has a head full of curls, and is smaller than the twins. I am constantly rescuing him from being pinned on the floor by the head.

A table is a place to crawl under...and then someone else does too, thus another wrestling match.

When one or two children finally do get involved in an activity, it never lasts more than 5-7 minutes before someone is climbing on them, and once again, it's Monday Night Raw.

I am about ready to make 5 mini rooms in my playroom and seperate them all! Or, take the 18mo out of the room, pad the walls, remove the toys, and let em go at it all day long....

What are your limits on physical play? Do you differeniate by age or for sibs?

Go play with toys...go play with toys...go play with toys....arrrgggg!

I think I am just venting....l
Old 09-27-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Ugh I have this too.

I have had siblings before but two years ago a DCB had a little sister.....since she has been 1 yr old they have been ALL OVER eachother. She sits on him, jumps on him, pulls on his arms. He thinks it is really funny and they are allowed to do it as much as they want at home.

I have also had a problem with 'power range' play for a few years too. This sibling group only makes it worse. I am at my wits end as well....so if you find a way to make it stop let me know.

I also find it interesting that my male/male siblings do not play this way. (I have 3 sets)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:54 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
So, in the past, I have always had a "no wrestling" policy. It has never been a real issue until now.

4 of the 5 children in my group are sibs. 4, 3, and 14 mo twins. They like to "hug". mostly the toddlers. But all day long, I am repeating "gentle hands" and "ok, that's a hug, now enough...wrestling is not ok here". Or, "lets go play with toys now"

The "hugging" more often leads to hair pulling and biting than not. My other dcb, 18 mo, has a head full of curls, and is smaller than the twins. I am constantly rescuing him from being pinned on the floor by the head.

A table is a place to crawl under...and then someone else does too, thus another wrestling match.

When one or two children finally do get involved in an activity, it never lasts more than 5-7 minutes before someone is climbing on them, and once again, it's Monday Night Raw.

I am about ready to make 5 mini rooms in my playroom and seperate them all! Or, take the 18mo out of the room, pad the walls, remove the toys, and let em go at it all day long....

What are your limits on physical play? Do you differeniate by age or for sibs?

Go play with toys...go play with toys...go play with toys....arrrgggg!

I think I am just venting....l
There's your answer. Superyard them and separate. You can always take them down as the kids GET that they can't be rough. When you have physical behavior like that you have to separate them physically.

Tags
sibling interaction, siblings