Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Question My Letter To Parents.. Please Read And Give Feedback

"Dear Parents,

I feel like I have been overly flexible with my hours since the start of my daycare six months ago. I understand that everyone has different hours at work and may need earlier or later drop off and pick up times. However, in trying to accommodate everyone's individual needs it has become consistently inconsistent. That being said I am changing my hours. Not only will this ensure more quality time for your kids with you, but more quality time for me with my family.

Beginning Monday, March 19th, 2012 My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm. If you require additional time at drop off or pickup you will be charged $1 per minute of service provided before or after the above quoted time, due each Friday with original determined payment. I will need to be notified at least an hour prior to you being either early or late.

Please understand that just because I work from home does not mean that I am always here and available. We make plans and when you are early or late those plans have to change to accommodate you. Not communicating is not an option and is grounds for immediate termination.

Sincerely,

Me"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:18 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo View Post
"Dear Parents,

I feel like I have been overly flexible with my hours since the start of my daycare six months ago. I understand that everyone has different hours at work and may need earlier or later drop off and pick up times. However, in trying to accommodate everyone's individual needs it has become consistently inconsistent. That being said I am changing my hours. Not only will this ensure more quality time for your kids with you, but more quality time for me with my family.

Beginning Monday, March 19th, 2012 My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm. If you require additional time at drop off or pickup you will be charged $1 per minute of service provided before or after the above quoted time, due each Friday with original determined payment. I will need to be notified at least an hour prior to you being either early or late.

Please understand that just because I work from home does not mean that I am always here and available. We make plans and when you are early or late those plans have to change to accommodate you. Not communicating is not an option and is grounds for immediate termination.

Sincerely,

Me"
hmmmmm I will let others chime in on this,but I think its too complex....Simple is the best way go.

Also, always give at least 2 weeks notice to all families to be fair. UNless it is a State regulation then it will take effect immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
hmmmmm I will let others chime in on this,but I think its too complex....Simple is the best way go.

Also, always give at least 2 weeks notice to all families to be fair. UNless it is a State regulation then it will take effect immediately.
Oops! I forgot to change the date! Yes I agree on the 2 weeks thing! The other letter I wrote up is very short and simple...

"Dear Parents,

Effective March 26, 2012, My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a $1 per minute late fee after closing.

Sincerely,

Me"

Thanks to some advice on my other post

Im sure they will have a problem with it, but i can address that when it comes up!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo View Post
Oops! I forgot to change the date! Yes I agree on the 2 weeks thing! The other letter I wrote up is very short and simple...

"Dear Parents,

Effective March 26, 2012, My hours will be 7:30am - 5:30pm.

Please make a note of this.

I will also be implementing a $1 per minute late fee after closing.

Sincerely,

Me"

Thanks to some advice on my other post

Im sure they will have a problem with it, but i can address that when it comes up!
If they have a problem with it, then they are not the parents you want....Please trust me on this. I have had horrible parents in the past who did this to me and they just made my life and my families life you know what..

PLEASE put your foot down and don't let them take advantage of you.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
If they have a problem with it, then they are not the parents you want....Please trust me on this. I have had horrible parents in the past who did this to me and they just made my life and my families life you know what..

PLEASE put your foot down and don't let them take advantage of you.
I know exactly what you mean! And thanks for the advice! i want this letter to go to them today. I don't care what they say or the problems they have. i have bent over backwards to accommodate their special needs and when they take advantage of me I just get livid. Its not worth the energy anymore. I just want to be professional and prepared for the war
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

The letter is way to long. Simple is best.

Do you have problems with more than one family? If it is just the one family then I would not give the letter to everyone. Your other timely families will be....."huh? What is she talking about?" Also unless you have an actual conversation with the trouble mom there is a good chance that she will think that the new rules don't apply to her.

I wouldn't say anything about consistently inconsistent or anything along those lines. It might come across as whiny. Sorry.

Way, way to long. Keep it simple and give 2 weeks notice. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

The second one is better.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
MrsB's Avatar
MrsB MrsB is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 590
Default

Since technically this is a change in contract rules, the day after you give it to them, have them sign a contract update agreement form. That says that they agree to abide by the new rules.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

I agree! I think the short simple one is to the point. I am going to email it to her and print it out to be signed with 2 weeks effective date. Thanks Guys! I didn't want to sound emotional or anything. That happens to women a lot. I have to catch myself
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-14-2012, 01:24 PM
renodeb's Avatar
renodeb renodeb is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reno, Nv
Posts: 837
Default

I agree, simple is best. I have a habit of being to wordy when a send out notes to.
Debbie
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
MamaBear MamaBear is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 666
Default

Yes definitely the second letter is better. Simple and to the point. Its none of their business really why your changing hours. If they ask you can tell them I guess... but its better just simple. Nice. Good luck - I hope all your parents are cool and not going to be buttheads about it.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
Yes definitely the second letter is better. Simple and to the point. Its none of their business really why your changing hours. If they ask you can tell them I guess... but its better just simple. Nice. Good luck - I hope all your parents are cool and not going to be buttheads about it.
Everything worked out. I sent the short email. All of my parents except her were really cool about it. My problem dcm had a fit. Her husband called me and asked if this was my way of trying to get rid of them and I said no, this is my way of trying to get you to pick up dcg on time! Lol

We agreed I would stay open an a extra half hour just for them at an increased rate. My husband and I talked about it and really couldn't see a downside to sending the letter. They would either be early, find someone else, or pay more. They chose pay more. I like dcg so I'm happy with the outcome

Also glad I sent the email about my hour change in general. My other families were already really good about pick ups and drop offs, but this just reiterated that I'm serious about being on time and communicating!

Thanks for your help guys
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:12 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I would never place hrs. of operation in contract!! Parents will take advantage of this time to the fullest!! Place in work and commute times only!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-15-2012, 06:25 AM
countrymom's Avatar
countrymom countrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 4,756
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momma2girls View Post
I would never place hrs. of operation in contract!! Parents will take advantage of this time to the fullest!! Place in work and commute times only!!
yup have to agree, its so much better since I started doing this.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM
momma2girls's Avatar
momma2girls momma2girls is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: midwestern
Posts: 2,156
Default

I have been doing this for about 5 yrs. now, and what a difference this has made. There are MANY< MANY providers that have gone to this. If I didn't do this, I would have teachers, say they need till 5:00 or 5:30pm every evening for pickup- SERIOUSLY????????
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 PM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

Well ladies and gentlemen (if you're reading), the dcf decided to give notice today. Can't say I'm too bummed. Time to start looking for a replacement!

Goodbye drama! Hello fresh new family! I've learned a lot from this dcm. A lot that I will not do or put up with again!

Thanks again for all the support you guys are great
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo View Post
Well ladies and gentlemen (if you're reading), the dcf decided to give notice today. Can't say I'm too bummed. Time to start looking for a replacement!

Goodbye drama! Hello fresh new family! I've learned a lot from this dcm. A lot that I will not do or put up with again!

Thanks again for all the support you guys are great
Trust me, you ALWAYS learn the most from the difficult/dramatic families. Years from now you will be able to re-read your handbook and you will always remember which families made you make certain rules. Somehow those ones always stick with us...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-16-2012, 08:51 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Trust me, you ALWAYS learn the most from the difficult/dramatic families. Years from now you will be able to re-read your handbook and you will always remember which families made you make certain rules. Somehow those ones always stick with us...


SOOO SOOOO true..I can recall why I had to set certain rules by remembering my bad families.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
sahm2three's Avatar
sahm2three sahm2three is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,113
Default

I could have written this post this morning. This is the same issue I have been having. It has gone as far as families who are normally scheduled for M-F, who tell you that the child will not be there a day or two, and then try to bring them. I have TRIED to explain to the families that on our lighter days, we try to use those days to schedule appts for our own kids or ourselves. So they MUST stick to their schedule. Why is this so hard to understand??
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

yup, it works! Stick to your policies and you get better families, one way or another. there's no down side in my book.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Soupyszoo's Avatar
Soupyszoo Soupyszoo is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm2three View Post
I could have written this post this morning. This is the same issue I have been having. It has gone as far as families who are normally scheduled for M-F, who tell you that the child will not be there a day or two, and then try to bring them. I have TRIED to explain to the families that on our lighter days, we try to use those days to schedule appts for our own kids or ourselves. So they MUST stick to their schedule. Why is this so hard to understand??
Families like that and my late dcf are selfish and all about themselves. I don't think they think you even have a family because it doesn't pertain to them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drop off policy, early arrival - policy, letter samples, parent notification

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Head Lice Story Part Two ... please read and give in put (long sorry) familyschoolcare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 46 05-30-2012 04:46 PM
Need Feedback On Letter Please marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 01-27-2011 11:03 PM
I Read This And I Think We Can All Relate To This Advice momatheart Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 01-27-2011 04:39 PM
My Contract For You To Read... Abigail Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 01-03-2011 11:06 AM
OMG - I Can NOT Believe What This Parent Did After Terming Services sierrastreasures Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 41 10-22-2010 02:11 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:19 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming