Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default Follow-up Letter to DCP - Help Needed

I previously posted (yesterday I think) about a DCP "yelling" at me regarding concern about their child potentially getting hurt at my home & how if said child got hurt they would have to pay $$$$ out of their own pocket for ER visit, etc. The parent's tone irritated me & was uncalled for, almost insinuating that they expect their child can't ever incur an injury while in my care. Now I feel like I have to walk around on pins & needles to appease this parent. I want to let them know that how he approached me was uncalled for & remind them about the emergency form consent they signed that states they have to pay for all fees incurred & hold me blameless if their child gets hurt while in my care. Please help - how does this sound (to be noted - DCP conducted this meeting with me when he dropped off the kids & later my own 9-year-old child said - "Mom, so & so's dad is MEAN!" I am also struggling with whether I want to keep this family or not - I am mad that said parent got angry with me while my children watched, probably thinking this is normal. I don't want to put up with a parent who will blow their lid at me.

"Dear Trash-Mouth Parent:

After our conversation on Thursday I wanted to remind you of the emergency consent form you signed for Billy & Tommy's care. By signing this form you agreed to hold me blameless for any accident that occurs with the boys while in my care. This form also states that you will be responsible for all fees associated with any accident that occurs while the children are in my care.

I also wanted to let you know that if you have concerns to please bring them up to me on the phone or call to set up an appointment. The hours I provide care is not an appropriate place to discuss any issues you may have as I am busy caring for the children.

Sincerely,
Me
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:34 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Suggestions, anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,802
Default

Don't remember if you mentioned that the parent yelled at you and said you would be paying for injury to their child in yesterday's thread. After reading this thread I think the letter you should be writing is a termination letter.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2012, 06:59 PM
seebachers's Avatar
seebachers seebachers is offline
Mostly lurking member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 117
Default

Dear trash-mouth parent,

After much deliberation, I have decided that I am no longer in the position to provide the quality of care for Billy and Tommy that you seem to require. I do my very best to make sure that all my daycare children are given the utmost care but it is common for minor injuries to occur from time to time and even the freak accident to happen to the best of caregivers.

The tone of the converstation that we had regarding the safety of Billy and Tommy has caused me much concern as I am unaccustomed to being made to feel inadequate in my abilities. To have the confrontation happen in front of my own children as well as daycare children was both insulting and embarrassing. I feel that this alone will cause issues with being able to effectively communicate with you from here on in and I feel that it would be best to part ways.

It is with much regret that I will have to terminate services with you on ___________.

Sincerely,

Me




Also hand him a copy of your two weeks notice for termination along with this letter and have your ad ready for the newspaper.

P.S. The ideas are a bit scattered cuz I was honked off at him.....but you get my drift. He needs to be handed a termination letter. Nothing more.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:28 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Don't remember if you mentioned that the parent yelled at you and said you would be paying for injury to their child in yesterday's thread. After reading this thread I think the letter you should be writing is a termination letter.
I may not have mentioned it - I was very scatterbrained while typing. He didn't really "yell" but he definitely raised his voice & his tone was demeaning & belittling IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebachers View Post
Dear trash-mouth parent,

After much deliberation, I have decided that I am no longer in the position to provide the quality of care for Billy and Tommy that you seem to require. I do my very best to make sure that all my daycare children are given the utmost care but it is common for minor injuries to occur from time to time and even the freak accident to happen to the best of caregivers.

The tone of the converstation that we had regarding the safety of Billy and Tommy has caused me much concern as I am unaccustomed to being made to feel inadequate in my abilities. To have the confrontation happen in front of my own children as well as daycare children was both insulting and embarrassing. I feel that this alone will cause issues with being able to effectively communicate with you from here on in and I feel that it would be best to part ways.

It is with much regret that I will have to terminate services with you on ___________.

Sincerely,

Me




Also hand him a copy of your two weeks notice for termination along with this letter and have your ad ready for the newspaper.

P.S. The ideas are a bit scattered cuz I was honked off at him.....but you get my drift. He needs to be handed a termination letter. Nothing more.


THANK YOU A TON - your verbage is perfect!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Heidi's Avatar
Heidi Heidi is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 6,858
Default

Dear trash-mouth parent,

After careful consideration, I am hereby terminating childcare services for your family effective_________________/

The tone of the converstation that we had regarding the safety of Billy and Tommy has caused me much concern. I am unaccustomed to being made to feel inadequate in my abilities, since at no time during the past (xx months or years) have any serious injuries occurred to either your children or any other in my care.

The confrontation in front of my own children, as well as daycare children was both insulting and embarrassing. I feel that this alone will impede our ability to effectively communicate in the future, and therefore think that it would be best to part ways.

I wish you and your family the very best in the future. We will miss Billy and Tommy (if you feel that). Insert info on balance due, etc....

Sincerely,

Me


Just another way to word what seebacher wrote....
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:21 PM
MizzCheryl's Avatar
MizzCheryl MizzCheryl is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 478
Default

Terminate!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-23-2012, 05:46 AM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I may not have mentioned it - I was very scatterbrained while typing. He didn't really "yell" but he definitely raised his voice & his tone was demeaning & belittling IMO.
It's not yelling but sometimes talking the way he did is worse than yelling. You don't need to be yelled at or lectured to. Especially in this particular case - the child from what it sounded like twisted the ankle a bit. These things happen!

Toddlers fall a lot because they have big heads and little bodies. They are, plain and simple, top heavy and are pretty prone to accidents.

If his conversation made you cringe every time you thought this child might get a bump or scratch, then he did his job of intimidating you.

Do NOT put up with that. If he doesn't like it and doesn't trust you, there's the door. Or, like the others have said, you can term.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM
MommieNana4's Avatar
MommieNana4 MommieNana4 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Maryland
Posts: 134
Default

Terminate and call your licensing agent to advise of situation.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

I'm just wondering if you gave them the letter yet?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-25-2012, 06:40 AM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

I sent a revised form of the letter on here. I would have given it to them in person but I only have this family 2 days a week & they don't come back until Wed. They e-mailed me back & seemed very apologetic. I agreed to give them another chance. I did make it clear that if I am ever approached in that manner again they will be terminated on the spot. It felt good to stand up for myself & good to give them a second try.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofboys View Post
I sent a revised form of the letter on here. I would have given it to them in person but I only have this family 2 days a week & they don't come back until Wed. They e-mailed me back & seemed very apologetic. I agreed to give them another chance. I did make it clear that if I am ever approached in that manner again they will be terminated on the spot. It felt good to stand up for myself & good to give them a second try.
YAY!!! Good for you!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Mom&Provider's Avatar
Mom&Provider Mom&Provider is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 378
Default

I think if a parent had offended me in such a demeaning way, not to mention that there is no way I could promise their child would never get an injury while in my care, the family would have to go.

Kids get hurt. They fall, trip and bump heads all while we (and their parents!!) are within 1 foot of them! It happens...they are little, learning to walk, run and play...it's what happens and part of being a kid. If they don't trust you are doing your best to avoid an accident then I think you have to say good-bye!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
letter samples, liability, policy, policy - liability

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Withdrawal/Termination Letter Opinion Needed my3ps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 07-23-2012 04:12 PM
Abigail Or Anyone? Need A Term Letter! marniewon Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 02-10-2011 11:00 PM
Letter Requesting Payment cillybean83 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 01-04-2011 11:09 AM
Letter To Variable Hrs Mom-Help Me Write It! legomom922 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 26 01-02-2011 07:53 PM
Need Help Wording a Letter momofboys Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-22-2010 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming