Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:14 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default Help With Puppy Letter To Parents..Xl Breed

We have to let parents know anytime we add an animal to our home.

We are getting an English Mastiff puppy in a few weeks, so excited but a little worried about parents being concerned with her being so big. We currently have a beagle/basset mix that everyone loves, he's very laid back and lazy. So this new dog will be quite different size wise.

I will be crating her atleast until trained and then gating her away from daycare (I have seperate daycare space). I want the parents to know this but not make them think that's because she won't be good with kids. (It's due to her size). I was also thinking it might be a good idea to put a little info about English Mastiffs to ease their mind.

Anyone care to help me with wording? Espcially those with very large dogs?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:43 PM
crazydaycarelady's Avatar
crazydaycarelady crazydaycarelady is offline
Not really crazy
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,447
Default

I foster dogs a lot and I never inform the parents beforehand. The dogs aren't with the dckids so I don't feel the need to let them know.

I would just be careful if you do a letter that you don't make it seem like you are nervous or there is a reason for anyone to be scared.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

But Mastiff's aren't typically good with kids, especially ones who aren't a part of their immediate family.

If the dog won't be around the children in any capacity I'd either say nothing or only casually mention it if/when they happen to hear it and become aware of it's presence.


Please be sure to check with whoever has your homeowners insurance policy though. They are a breed that may end up increasing your premiums drastically, especially while you're doing daycare in the home.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Our licensing requires us to give parents in writing anytime we add a new pet. I will probably just make it short and sweet then just saying we are adding a dog and that they will be crated due to being a puppy.

I'm not worried about her not being good with the kids..I don't even really like my lazy beagle/basset by the kids. You just never know. Luckily are current dog sleeps all day so unless he smells food he likes he stays in the other room. I just didn't want it to seem odd that one dog can be allowed and the other not, KWIM?


Willow - The breeder has 4 kids, we have 2 kids, and we plan to socialize her every chance we can outside of our house. I've never heard that about the breed, just the opposite, actually. Good tip on the homeowners policy, I will have to check into that.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-28-2013, 12:59 PM
MsLaura529's Avatar
MsLaura529 MsLaura529 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 850
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
But Mastiff's aren't typically good with kids, especially ones who aren't a part of their immediate family.
This is surprising to see, as I've always heard the opposite about mastiffs.

When I'm showing prospective parents my daycare (and our large shepherd/husky/retriever mix is barking away upstairs) I always say, "Yes, we do have a dog. He is gated off from the daycare. I don't do this because he's dangerous. He's great with kids and will still stick his nose through the gates to try to give them kisses and see if they'll give him any food. I do it for my own piece of mind, because he's large, and this way he's not in the way".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Every Mastiff enthusiast I network with does not recommend them for families with young children due to their size and inherent protective nature (which frequently transfers over into behaviors like resource guarding).

I know of none who would ever sell any of their pups into a licensed family daycare home due to their natural inclination to guard home and family even when socialized and trained to the nines.

Even coming from stellar breeding temperaments can slip once they hit maturity and all it takes is a single bite from a dog that size to cause serious damage, or worse.

If size is what you're after I'd be much more inclined to go with something like a Saint or a Newfie.


All that said, to each their own.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:12 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

As far as explaining why I too keep all of my dogs separate from the kids in my care, I always explain it's to protect my dogs because far too many children don't know how to properly approach and handle them.

It's an across the board rule that protects me and my dogs liability wise.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM
youretooloud's Avatar
youretooloud youretooloud is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The desert.
Posts: 1,956
Default

Both my homeowners and daycare insurance has a list of about seven dogs you cannot own if you want to use their insurance. But, Mastiff isn't on either list. They were German shepherd, Pit Bull, Husky, Dobermans, Great Danes (I thought that was odd) Chows and any type of wolf breed. (Akitas, Alaskan malamutes, Huskies)

Honestly, instead of a note, i'd just start telling them about the puppy, and how excited you are to get this great dog.

Congratulations on the puppy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Lavender's Avatar
Lavender Lavender is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 196
Default

Mastiffs, like most bully breeds, tend to be very protective of their people and their property. They are not always the easiest breed to be inviting new people around all the time. Of course the temperament of each is different, but many do have an innate desire to guard which when combined with their large size can be of concern. I would simply let your parents know about the new dog, his background, and the measures you will be taking to make sure he is kept separate from the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

I tell ALL my DCF's about my large breed dog and he doesn't even get to come to daycare!

Like my large breed, I think they can be great with kids but it seems their protective side is what makes people nervous.

My dog would be a threat to OTHER people's kids......if he was protecting HIS/MY children.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I tell ALL my DCF's about my large breed dog and he doesn't even get to come to daycare!

Like my large breed, I think they can be great with kids but it seems their protective side is what makes people nervous.

My dog would be a threat to OTHER people's kids......if he was protecting HIS/MY children.

See and I think people tend to see this as a bad thing when it's not necessarily. It's merely a breed trait. Doesn't make the breed bad, it's just something that needs to be recognized, respected and managed is all. Acknowledging lineage isn't condemning it, you are super right to do just that BC.



If a breeder tells a buyer lines are something other than exactly what a breed was designed to be they are either ignorant or lying just to make a buck off litters and unsuspecting families. It's super common in the retriever/bird dog world and it drives me nuts......"yes this retriever/pointer/flusher will be a fantastic couch potato if that's what you want him to be, a walk around the block a couple times a week will be all he needs to stay happy!".......and then a year later the poor buyers don't understand how or why they ended up with a neurotic drywall/garbage/furniture eating psycho zoomie bull in a china shop train wreck. The dog ends up unhappy, the owners end up unhappy, the kids are put in a dangerous position with what is tantamount to a wild animal around them in their own home and everyone loses.

Mastiff's are on many insurance carriers "dangerous" dog lists because of their inherent tendency to protect home and family. Again, not that there is anything wrong with that, heck I'd love to have a Neo myself and still might someday, but with how many people come and go right now I wouldn't feel right putting myself (liability wise) or that breed of dog (knowing how it would likely feel) in that position at this point.




youretooloud - how sad that insurance companies obviously have no idea "Northern/Arctic/Spitz" breeds aren't at all "wolf" breeds anymore than a chihuahua is a "wolf" breed.....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM
LittleD's Avatar
LittleD LittleD is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 394
Default

How about something like:

Dear DCP,
we are excited to announce the future arrival of our new addition, Spot! Spot is a (sorry forgot breed) and will be coming to us when he/she is X weeks old. Spot will be caged away from the children so he/she can have a nice quiet place to get used to our home and family. As he/she gets older we may/may not allow spot periodic access to the daycare kids, as new puppies can be exciting to children!
Here is an information sheet on our new puppy! We are so excited to welcome him to our family!
Sincerely,
Me!
(Include a fact sheet with letter)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM
youretooloud's Avatar
youretooloud youretooloud is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The desert.
Posts: 1,956
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD View Post
How about something like:

Dear DCP,
we are excited to announce the future arrival of our new addition, Spot! Spot is a (sorry forgot breed) and will be coming to us when he/she is X weeks old. Spot will be caged away from the children so he/she can have a nice quiet place to get used to our home and family. As he/she gets older we may/may not allow spot periodic access to the daycare kids, as new puppies can be exciting to children!
Here is an information sheet on our new puppy! We are so excited to welcome him to our family!
Sincerely,
Me!
(Include a fact sheet with letter)
I like that.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-28-2013, 07:38 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleD View Post
How about something like:

Dear DCP,
we are excited to announce the future arrival of our new addition, Spot! Spot is a (sorry forgot breed) and will be coming to us when he/she is X weeks old. Spot will be caged away from the children so he/she can have a nice quiet place to get used to our home and family. As he/she gets older we may/may not allow spot periodic access to the daycare kids, as new puppies can be exciting to children!
Here is an information sheet on our new puppy! We are so excited to welcome him to our family!
Sincerely,
Me!
(Include a fact sheet with letter)
Thank you! This sounds great!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Laurel's Avatar
Laurel Laurel is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 3,148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youretooloud View Post
Both my homeowners and daycare insurance has a list of about seven dogs you cannot own if you want to use their insurance. But, Mastiff isn't on either list. They were German shepherd, Pit Bull, Husky, Dobermans, Great Danes (I thought that was odd) Chows and any type of wolf breed. (Akitas, Alaskan malamutes, Huskies)

Honestly, instead of a note, i'd just start telling them about the puppy, and how excited you are to get this great dog.

Congratulations on the puppy.
My insurance has a similar list but Bull Mastiff is listed on mine. Not sure if this is the type of dog the original poster means.

Laurel
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-28-2013, 10:30 PM
mamac's Avatar
mamac mamac is offline
Tantrum Negotiator
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youretooloud View Post
Both my homeowners and daycare insurance has a list of about seven dogs you cannot own if you want to use their insurance. But, Mastiff isn't on either list. They were German shepherd, Pit Bull, Husky, Dobermans, Great Danes (I thought that was odd) Chows and any type of wolf breed. (Akitas, Alaskan malamutes, Huskies)

Honestly, instead of a note, i'd just start telling them about the puppy, and how excited you are to get this great dog.

Congratulations on the puppy.
Yikes! Your insurance company would have had NO problem denying me insurance for my dog! (that I unfortunately no longer have) He was a half Husky- half Chow, Pit Bull, Shepherd mix. But he was the sweetest dog ever!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-29-2013, 04:44 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Are you prepared to lose families over it? I hate to say it, but I would pull my kids. Don't shoot me, I LOVE animals, but it isn't worth the risk.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Breed specific legislation here is so tough that some areas ask owners to DNA their dogs to prove their breed.

I'd be extremely nervous unless I had some sort of proof exactly what breed this is. This is inky because I had a friend who lives in a city with BSL and years ago they got a dog they though had no pit bull etc in. That was before tha BSL. Well, 8 years later, their neighbor reported they had an illegal breed and they agreed to DNA to prove the dog was what they though it was and the test proved the dog had some of the illegal breed and they had to get rid of the dog. That would be so tragic after all that time.

That being said, I'm the type that is Leary of thinking " oh this dog never will come into contact with the children " and not making plans of other scenarios and then something happens and the dog gets lose. Accidents happen, even with the most careful of plans.

If its a dog I would have to worry if that one in a million loose event happened, I'd be very nervous.

Of course, any dog has potential and should be treated that way. But some have more potential for damage than others.

OP, I agree with the PP letter, but be prepared for parents who may not be happy, even if you say the dog will never be with the children.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 AM
slorey's Avatar
slorey slorey is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Are you prepared to lose families over it? I hate to say it, but I would pull my kids. Don't shoot me, I LOVE animals, but it isn't worth the risk.
I agree. My dd was bit by a lab when she was 2 and needed 6 stitches! Thankfully it was only her hand, but I do not trust any dog around children anymore. If a lab who are supposed to be good with children can bite, anything can. We do not have any animals, despite the pleading from my children and that decision is primarily because I do not want the liability of something happening to one of my dc kids. But also because I don't want the added responsibility right now. My 3 kids and 5 dc kids give me enough to do already!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-29-2013, 08:52 AM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorey View Post
I agree. My dd was bit by a lab when she was 2 and needed 6 stitches! Thankfully it was only her hand, but I do not trust any dog around children anymore. If a lab who are supposed to be good with children can bite, anything can. We do not have any animals, despite the pleading from my children and that decision is primarily because I do not want the liability of something happening to one of my dc kids. But also because I don't want the added responsibility right now. My 3 kids and 5 dc kids give me enough to do already!
My dd was attacked by a pitbull, they couldn't close her wound because she needed muscle repair and skin grafts. She has a lot of scars from it, and it was a neighbors dog and up until that point, very friendly to us/their 3 small children. It even slept with their 3 yo every night.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:02 PM
slorey's Avatar
slorey slorey is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 200
Default

That must have been awful for you and her! I was stressed enough about our situation and that wasn't even very serious. I don't trust pit bulls. I am sure there are many out there that are good dogs but there are also too many that aren't. My daughter is 7 now and I still freak out if she wants to pet a strange dog, even if the owners ok it. Her scar is barely visible. It is on the palm of her hand and it looks like one of the other lines on her palm. to you and your daughter for having to go through that!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have a boxer/mastiff mix. He stays in the garage during daycare hours not only because I would never risk it but his tail is LETHAL!! It gets te back of my knee all the time and has gotten my one year old face a few times! it feels like someone snapped a towel!!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-29-2013, 12:23 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,543
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorey View Post
That must have been awful for you and her! I was stressed enough about our situation and that wasn't even very serious. I don't trust pit bulls. I am sure there are many out there that are good dogs but there are also too many that aren't. My daughter is 7 now and I still freak out if she wants to pet a strange dog, even if the owners ok it. Her scar is barely visible. It is on the palm of her hand and it looks like one of the other lines on her palm. to you and your daughter for having to go through that!
Thank you! I am so glad your dd is ok! My dd is a tough cookie and she is STILL an animal lover, stood in court telling the judge (at 7, almost 8) that she didn't blame the dog, she blamed the owner for not keeping him chained/fenced in and was genuinely sad that they euthanized the dog. She volunteers at an animal shelter and wants to be a veterinarian. Everytime she leaves to go volunteer it's like half of my heart goes with her. You know how that feels! EEK!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-29-2013, 01:19 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have a boxer/mastiff mix. He stays in the garage during daycare hours not only because I would never risk it but his tail is LETHAL!! It gets te back of my knee all the time and has gotten my one year old face a few times! it feels like someone snapped a towel!!
That is something to consider too.

My dog is so large that simply leaning on a full grown adult can knock them over.

When he is running, he cannot stop on a dime and often over shoots his mark and pile drives into who or whatever is nearby.

He wags his tail and can knock you off your feet. He doesn't mean to but just playing with a kid is like wrestling a full grown adult from the kid's perspective.

The first thing our vet said was if you own a big dog, you HAVE to establish control right away because once he reaches full grown weight/size, you will no longer be able to physically manage him so he HAS to know how to listen.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

I grew up with Great Danes (and Boxers, we always had at least 2 dogs) and holy cow did it hurt when they got you with their tail! It was like getting whipped with a plastic jump rope! Getting knocked over by them just became par for the course as a kid (we had 3 Danes and a boxer for years)! But its definitely something to consider when you have small children around, especially ones that are not your own.

I love dogs, sometimes more than people , but with this business I've started to look at the "liability/risk" in everything we bring into our house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
That is something to consider too.

My dog is so large that simply leaning on a full grown adult can knock them over.

When he is running, he cannot stop on a dime and often over shoots his mark and pile drives into who or whatever is nearby.


He wags his tail and can knock you off your feet. He doesn't mean to but just playing with a kid is like wrestling a full grown adult from the kid's perspective.

The first thing our vet said was if you own a big dog, you HAVE to establish control right away because once he reaches full grown weight/size, you will no longer be able to physically manage him so he HAS to know how to listen.
Sometimes I feel like I'm playing chicken with my dog; will I move first or will she actually be able to stop without slamming into my legs? Most the time I lose and move!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:07 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
Are you prepared to lose families over it? I hate to say it, but I would pull my kids. Don't shoot me, I LOVE animals, but it isn't worth the risk.
I'm hoping not to. I do have a dedicated space just for my daycare (inside and outside) so really to me there isn't much risk the dog will ever come in contact with the kids even after she is not crated (she would be gated to my living room/kitchen) or if she is outside. The only time the parents would see her at all would be when they enter but she would be gated/crated away - daycare is to the right of my front entry way.

I probably won't list the breed on my website, just that I have two dogs not allowed in the daycare space. That way they can meet them when they are here interviewing and not form an opinion before hand.

Waiting to hear back from insurance to see if it will cost more.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Jmho, I wouldn't offer to let potential families meet pup or your dog.

I don't offer that as part of my interview process anymore than I'd let them poke and prod my own children.

If the dogs will not come into contact with anyone they are none of a mere visitor's concern.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Lavender's Avatar
Lavender Lavender is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 196
Default

I just want to make sure you know that an intention to keep a dog separate is a little less certain with a large dog than it is with a smaller dog. We have a bullmastiff mix (so much smaller than a full-grown English Mastiff but still 90lbs) and he has gotten out from areas he was supposed to be confined to several times. Our dachshund mix has NEVER gotten out. EVER. He is also the sweetest, gentlest dog there is (I've seen him play ever so gently with a guinea pig before) but I have no doubt that if he ever felt one of his people were in danger he would do whatever was necessary to protect them. Bully breeds are in general very protective of their people and their property.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
I just want to make sure you know that an intention to keep a dog separate is a little less certain with a large dog than it is with a smaller dog. We have a bullmastiff mix (so much smaller than a full-grown English Mastiff but still 90lbs) and he has gotten out from areas he was supposed to be confined to several times. Our dachshund mix has NEVER gotten out. EVER. He is also the sweetest, gentlest dog there is (I've seen him play ever so gently with a guinea pig before) but I have no doubt that if he ever felt one of his people were in danger he would do whatever was necessary to protect them. Bully breeds are in general very protective of their people and their property.
Lol its funny you say that about your dachshund, ours is the SAME way. He's the barker too. But he'll run through the house with our pet rat attached to his head having the time of his life and daddies rescue kittens like no other. But he is protective more towards children. No he's never bitten a grown up but once the UPS man was going to high five my son and Shorty did growl. Of course, now the FedEx and ups man bring doggie treats and all is well in his world lol.

I think the important thing is that while small dogs sometimes do bite, their bite typically doesn't do the harm of that if a bigger dog. My two dogs stay out with the kids though. My jack russel mix is an ESD dog and Shorty the weenie doggie sits by my special dcg every minute she's here. Both dogs also spend all outside time with us because they kill snakes.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Lavender's Avatar
Lavender Lavender is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Lol its funny you say that about your dachshund, ours is the SAME way. He's the barker too. But he'll run through the house with our pet rat attached to his head having the time of his life and daddies rescue kittens like no other. But he is protective more towards children. No he's never bitten a grown up but once the UPS man was going to high five my son and Shorty did growl. Of course, now the FedEx and ups man bring doggie treats and all is well in his world lol.

I think the important thing is that while small dogs sometimes do bite, their bite typically doesn't do the harm of that if a bigger dog. My two dogs stay out with the kids though. My jack russel mix is an ESD dog and Shorty the weenie doggie sits by my special dcg every minute she's here. Both dogs also spend all outside time with us because they kill snakes.
Everything I said was about my male dog - the 90lb bullmastiff mix - except for the part about my female dachshund mix never getting out. LOL She is 7lbs so they are way different in size.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender View Post
Everything I said was about my male dog - the 90lb bullmastiff mix - except for the part about my female dachshund mix never getting out. LOL She is 7lbs so they are way different in size.
Lol my weenie dog is 14 lbs and can jump a child gate. As a matter of fact, he just jumped the child gate to my bathroom where the kittens are. Me and my kids were sitting in there while they were eating their canned food and shorty just HAD to get in there so over the top he went right into my lap lol.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
As far as explaining why I too keep all of my dogs separate from the kids in my care, I always explain it's to protect my dogs because far too many children don't know how to properly approach and handle them.

It's an across the board rule that protects me and my dogs liability wise.
I do the exact same thing for the same reasons! Nothing to do with my dogs being dangerous... Everything to do with the dck not being kind! And a dog is still an animal!!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Jmho, I wouldn't offer to let potential families meet pup or your dog.

I don't offer that as part of my interview process anymore than I'd let them poke and prod my own children.

If the dogs will not come into contact with anyone they are none of a mere visitor's concern.
Amen!!! I do say I have dogs in case of allergies but that they do not interact with the dck... I have had more families upset my dogs aren't with their kids than the other way around.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

I'd take a bull mastiff around my kids than a jack russle any day!!!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
I'd take a bull mastiff around my kids than a jack russle any day!!!
Any typical jack russel mix.... Maybe...l but not my Roxie ... She got the best part of both breeds. And none of the negative. Thank goodness.

My daughter picked her when she was two years old. The psychologist said she needed a therapy dog. In comes Roxie. Not three months later, she took a snakebite that was meant for my daughter. We lived smack dab in the middle of a rather large city. I was not three feet away. She survived. She's certified. My daughter is alive because of her.

Fast forward now 8 years. I'd trade my husband for this dog. And the difference she's made in the life of my daughter and every other person or child she comes into contact with.

My mom got a full blooded jack russel one time years ago. Oh . My. Gosh. She couldn't handle him and had to rehome him for everyone's sanity. Wasn't a bad dog was just so HYPER.

Roxie got the awesome benefits of the rat terrier parts and is an excellent hunter. She actually high hops like a deer. She loves to chase deer too as a matter of fact. She is very small like the terrier mixes. She got none of the hyper of the jack Russell part of her lineage.

She also loves to ride mowers and four wheelers and anything that moves. The kids ride her in the wagon for HOURS on end. She loves to ride on the outside toy baby stroller too. When my dauber was little she would snap her in the pretend baby swing and Roxie would sit there dutifully with a baby bib on and never move.

Of course, I've never allowed any child to hurt her and for that she is not scared of any child. I don't allow any child to pick her up other than my daughter ever. Same goes with my weenie dog.

If I get a new family ill put shorty in my bedroom at drop off and pick up for a few weeks just to minimize the barking, and then after about twenty minutes I let him out and he greets the kids with slobber.

Flame me if you want, but its true. He's also excellent at cleaning up crumbs on the floor lol.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
Amen!!! I do say I have dogs in case of allergies but that they do not interact with the dck... I have had more families upset my dogs aren't with their kids than the other way around.
Same here.......I always get the "but my kid LOOOOoooooVES dogs! She rides the one at her grandmas like a horsey, does it's hair with barbie brushes and clips, dresses it up in dolly clothes and they are just wonderful together!" If I say it's ok would you make an exception for her??!

What I want to say is - domesticated or not dogs are still just animals, ***not children's toys*** I don't believe in subjecting mine to crap like that and frankly you should be counting your lucky stars the dog is as tolerant as it is to put up with that ridiculousness, most aren't and should never be expected to be. They deserve far better. Buy your kid a stuffed animal and teach her to leave the poor thing in peace or at least learn how to play and interact with it properly.

Instead what I always say is simply - No
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-30-2013, 12:59 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Heard back from DC Insurance and no additional charges, the english mastiff wasn't on their prohibited list. Licensing said it was okay too, I just needed to inform parents in writing and add to insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
Heard back from DC Insurance and no additional charges, the english mastiff wasn't on their prohibited list. Licensing said it was okay too, I just needed to inform parents in writing and add to insurance.
I want to see pictures when you get him/her!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-30-2013, 01:26 PM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Thanks, will do!! She is 7 weeks now so I should be getting her in June.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
WImom's Avatar
WImom WImom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,639
Default

Just wanted to post a picture our English Mastiff puppy per request. Her name is Zoe and she is 12 weeks and we've had her for 2 weeks now. It's going good, she LOVES kids. No one left either. Everyone says they can't believe how calm she is for a puppy. I am keeping her in a crate out of the daycare during the day but having my hubby take her outside during pick up some days so she can have some socialization with the kids/parents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zoe 9 weeks 2small.jpg (103.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo (5)smallzoe12weeks.jpg (39.7 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM
NeedaVaca's Avatar
NeedaVaca NeedaVaca is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The Middle
Posts: 2,248
Default

Oh my gosh! How CUTE!!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-27-2013, 09:56 AM
Lyss's Avatar
Lyss Lyss is offline
Chaos Coordinator :)
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 1,361
Default

So cute!
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:17 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
Just wanted to post a picture our English Mastiff puppy per request. Her name is Zoe and she is 12 weeks and we've had her for 2 weeks now. It's going good, she LOVES kids. No one left either. Everyone says they can't believe how calm she is for a puppy. I am keeping her in a crate out of the daycare during the day but having my hubby take her outside during pick up some days so she can have some socialization with the kids/parents.
Oh my goodness!! Could she be any cuter?!?!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
As far as explaining why I too keep all of my dogs separate from the kids in my care, I always explain it's to protect my dogs because far too many children don't know how to properly approach and handle them.

It's an across the board rule that protects me and my dogs liability wise.
I have five dogs and this is exactly why they aren't with the daycare kids... When I interview usually they hear the dogs and I say: yes I have dogs but they don't interact with the kids except for the occasional walk. I've never had people be concerned about what breed they are and most are disappointed the dogs won't be with the kids-
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Any typical jack russel mix.... Maybe...l but not my Roxie ... She got the best part of both breeds. And none of the negative. Thank goodness.

My daughter picked her when she was two years old. The psychologist said she needed a therapy dog. In comes Roxie. Not three months later, she took a snakebite that was meant for my daughter. We lived smack dab in the middle of a rather large city. I was not three feet away. She survived. She's certified. My daughter is alive because of her.

Fast forward now 8 years. I'd trade my husband for this dog. And the difference she's made in the life of my daughter and every other person or child she comes into contact with.

My mom got a full blooded jack russel one time years ago. Oh . My. Gosh. She couldn't handle him and had to rehome him for everyone's sanity. Wasn't a bad dog was just so HYPER.

Roxie got the awesome benefits of the rat terrier parts and is an excellent hunter. She actually high hops like a deer. She loves to chase deer too as a matter of fact. She is very small like the terrier mixes. She got none of the hyper of the jack Russell part of her lineage.

She also loves to ride mowers and four wheelers and anything that moves. The kids ride her in the wagon for HOURS on end. She loves to ride on the outside toy baby stroller too. When my dauber was little she would snap her in the pretend baby swing and Roxie would sit there dutifully with a baby bib on and never move.

Of course, I've never allowed any child to hurt her and for that she is not scared of any child. I don't allow any child to pick her up other than my daughter ever. Same goes with my weenie dog.

If I get a new family ill put shorty in my bedroom at drop off and pick up for a few weeks just to minimize the barking, and then after about twenty minutes I let him out and he greets the kids with slobber.

Flame me if you want, but its true. He's also excellent at cleaning up crumbs on the floor lol.
That is a very good example of breed vs personality in any dog! I am so glad you have such a wonderful dog and its fantastic that she helps with your daughter! When you find a dog like that- that fits into your family so well it is such a blessing!! Give roxy a treat from me . I love great dog stories so thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willow View Post
Same here.......I always get the "but my kid LOOOOoooooVES dogs! She rides the one at her grandmas like a horsey, does it's hair with barbie brushes and clips, dresses it up in dolly clothes and they are just wonderful together!" If I say it's ok would you make an exception for her??!

What I want to say is - domesticated or not dogs are still just animals, ***not children's toys*** I don't believe in subjecting mine to crap like that and frankly you should be counting your lucky stars the dog is as tolerant as it is to put up with that ridiculousness, most aren't and should never be expected to be. They deserve far better. Buy your kid a stuffed animal and teach her to leave the poor thing in peace or at least learn how to play and interact with it properly.

Instead what I always say is simply - No
Amen !! Lol- dogs are animals and kids are kids... So unless I control the situation 100% it isn't going to happen!

Also- on a side note- sorry for basically double posting my opinion on this post! Forgot I already did!
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
That is a very good example of breed vs personality in any dog! I am so glad you have such a wonderful dog and its fantastic that she helps with your daughter! When you find a dog like that- that fits into your family so well it is such a blessing!! Give roxy a treat from me . I love great dog stories so thanks for sharing!
Awe... I'll give her and Shorty a pupperoni stick from you. Unfortunately her breed has teeth issues so she can't eat bones but loves pupperoni lol. My daughter is great at picking animals. She picked Shorty too years ago lol.

Matter of fact, she's responsible for picking anything we incorporate in our family. She's very intuitive with animals. We always laugh because people say a few of our cats are ugly. But we don't pick animals by color. We pick them by how they get along in our family unit.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 AM
mema's Avatar
mema mema is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: It's hot, no cold, no hot :)
Posts: 1,873
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WImom View Post
Just wanted to post a picture our English Mastiff puppy per request. Her name is Zoe and she is 12 weeks and we've had her for 2 weeks now. It's going good, she LOVES kids. No one left either. Everyone says they can't believe how calm she is for a puppy. I am keeping her in a crate out of the daycare during the day but having my hubby take her outside during pick up some days so she can have some socialization with the kids/parents.
So cute! Look at that little face
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Familycare71's Avatar
Familycare71 Familycare71 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 1,693
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
Awe... I'll give her and Shorty a pupperoni stick from you. Unfortunately her breed has teeth issues so she can't eat bones but loves pupperoni lol. My daughter is great at picking animals. She picked Shorty too years ago lol.

Matter of fact, she's responsible for picking anything we incorporate in our family. She's very intuitive with animals. We always laugh because people say a few of our cats are ugly. But we don't pick animals by color. We pick them by how they get along in our family unit.
Amen!!! I had the ugliest chihuahua ever but I miss him so much!!! And I find that people who are good with animals are also good picking out the good humans too .
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christie71 View Post
Amen!!! I had the ugliest chihuahua ever but I miss him so much!!! And I find that people who are good with animals are also good picking out the good humans too .
You are very correct!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dog, letter samples, letter to parents, pet notification, pets in daycare

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Would You Term A Good Child Due To Bad Parents? PolkaTots Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 01-08-2013 02:22 PM
help with letter to parents WImom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 12-21-2012 09:29 AM
Letter to remind parents about holiday closing? Brooksie Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 12-06-2012 05:13 PM
"My Child is Gifted" Parents Hunni Bee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 12-03-2012 06:02 PM
Letter to Parents Kym2098 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 12-03-2012 07:22 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming