Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Day And New DCM Is Late...This Is Going To Suck
cillybean83 03:22 AM 01-10-2011
So I took on a kid that is supposed to get here between 5:30 and 6am, it's 6:03 and she isn't here and hasn't called, normally I wouldn't be ticked by this but I volunteered to open 30 minutes early at 5:30am just for her, and now she didn't even show or hasn't called to say she's going to be late.

Sometimes I feel like not answering the door and later being like "oh I'm sorry..I didn't realize your time was valuable since apparently mine isn't"
Bizzymom1111 03:34 AM 01-10-2011
So sorry. That sucks! Parents can be so rude. Did she even consider that you woke up extra early just for her? People these days are getting so selfish.
cillybean83 03:38 AM 01-10-2011
if she doesn't show up or call by 6:30, i'm putting a note on the door that says "i waited for you for an hour, sorry but this isn't how i run my daycare, good luck"

I don't need the money that bad
Danielle 03:45 AM 01-10-2011
Have you called her? Maybe she was in an accident or something.
Bizzymom1111 04:29 AM 01-10-2011
So did she show up? It really makes me wonder what some people are thinking when they do these things. How hard is it to make a 30 second phone call? Or email/text, saying you changed your mind? I never realized how rude people are until I started daycare. I had someone completely not show up or call for an interview the other day, after I scrambled my own kids through dinner and spent extra time cleaning that day. Ugh.
cillybean83 04:36 AM 01-10-2011
nope, she didn't show and she didn't call. I called her a few minutes ago and she was like *insert ditzy voice here* "oooooooh, yeahhhhh....uuuuuum I was GONNA call but like, I didn't wanna call all early, I was gonna wait til like niiiiiiiiine or something"

oh. my. god. are you freaking kidding me??!

So I told her that in the future she needs to call before her scheduled drop off time so I can like, ya know uuuuuuuum, SLEEP! grrrrrrrrrr

There is 2 inches of snow on the ground she didn't want to leave her house, so she called in to work, on her first day.

Yeah, I'm done.
momofboys 04:36 AM 01-10-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
So I took on a kid that is supposed to get here between 5:30 and 6am, it's 6:03 and she isn't here and hasn't called, normally I wouldn't be ticked by this but I volunteered to open 30 minutes early at 5:30am just for her, and now she didn't even show or hasn't called to say she's going to be late.

Sometimes I feel like not answering the door and later being like "oh I'm sorry..I didn't realize your time was valuable since apparently mine isn't"

Ughhhhhhhh!!! Dislike!!!!!!! I would be mad. Early drop-offs that never show/call are my biggest pet peeve. I hope you called & found out what was going on & I would be sure to mention that you got up early JUST FOR THEM!
safechner 04:41 AM 01-10-2011
I would be upsetting if they are not show up. How rude is that!! Glad you made a call but you are right you are done with them.
Bizzymom1111 04:48 AM 01-10-2011
nope, she didn't show and she didn't call. I called her a few minutes ago and she was like *insert ditzy voice here* "oooooooh, yeahhhhh....uuuuuum I was GONNA call but like, I didn't wanna call all early, I was gonna wait til like niiiiiiiiine or something"

So I told her that in the future she needs to call before her scheduled drop off time so I can like, ya know uuuuuuuum, SLEEP! grrrrrrrrrr

There is 2 inches of snow on the ground she didn't want to leave her house, so she called in to work, on her first day.

Yeah, I'm done.

Wow. Seriously? WTH? I'd definitely be done too. "yeah..ummm.. I didn't want to call
early..." why the h$@! not? You got up early because SHE was supposed to be there. Does she think you sleep until the doorbell rings? Wow. Sorry you had to deal with this.
countrymom 05:27 AM 01-10-2011
well, I would let her go, obv. she doesn't need care that bad and since you said that you don't need money that bad. wow, thats early, what does she do that she needs to drop her kid off that early.
Lilbutterflie 05:47 AM 01-10-2011
This is exactly why I have added to my contract that if they do not come at their normal drop off time, and I have not heard from them; I will assume they are out for the day and make other arrangements.
cillybean83 06:05 AM 01-10-2011
neither one of my daycare kids came today because of the snow, it's kind of ridiculous IMO, there are 2 inches of snow, and the main roads are all clear.

the one who comes really early works in a hotel her hours are 6-2:30, I don't think that job will last though, I can't believe she called in on her first day!

My husband thinks I should give her a pass since it's the first day and the weather is "bad", but he's a softy, I think it was flat out rude that she didn't call. Her excuse was that she didn't want to wake anyone up, well she's on my facebook page, send me a message there! Plus, everyone's known all weekend that it was supposed to snow, she could have called yesterday and said "if it snows, I won't be coming", it isn't rocket science
Little People 06:15 AM 01-10-2011
neither one of my daycare kids came today because of the snow, it's kind of ridiculous IMO, there are 2 inches of snow, and the main roads are all clear.

the one who comes really early works in a hotel her hours are 6-2:30, I don't think that job will last though, I can't believe she called in on her first day!

My husband thinks I should give her a pass since it's the first day and the weather is "bad", but he's a softy, I think it was flat out rude that she didn't call. Her excuse was that she didn't want to wake anyone up, well she's on my facebook page, send me a message there! Plus, everyone's known all weekend that it was supposed to snow, she could have called yesterday and said "if it snows, I won't be coming", it isn't rocket science
Hi cillybean83, I am in TN too!! We got about 5 inches where we are. I only have 2 DCg's both from same family today. Dcd dropped off and said side roads were pretty bad. My DH boss called us this morning and said they were closing for the day .
Sorry your new dcm did not have the respect to call you.
AfterSchoolMom 06:22 AM 01-10-2011
Do you have any kind of no show or late drop off fee in your contract? If not, I'd add one. If so, charge it right now!!!!!

Parents really don't stop and think about things from our perspective.
momofboys 06:24 AM 01-10-2011

Yeah, I'm done.
Translation: She did not want to be inconvenienced to get out of bed & call you so rather she inconvenienced you making you get up early & wait for nothing. I would be done too! Yikes!
Keri246 08:00 AM 01-10-2011
Cillybean

After 22 years in the business I can tell you this. Every time a potential DCM as well as an existing DCM asks you to do something you generally do not do you need to pause for a moment and decide just how you will TEACH them you EXPECT respect. IMO they are really asking you "just how much respect do you really want from me and just how much do you really respect yourself?" Therefore I take a breath, and then start by setting the guidelines. I never, never just say "yes". I will tell them what I expect from them to get this from me and continue by telling them if they don't stay within the required exception's guidelines I will not be able to pull it off. Then I make it very clear it is just this one time. If it is an ongoing thing like opening I let them know first that if she can't get here at the required time it goes back to the usual time I open as her requested time obviously must not be that necessary. If she does not call then shows up, show that you respect yourself and your time enough that there will be a $1.00 per minute fee she needs to pay at the door in cash before dropping off. This will let you know just how little she respects herself and her money. You don't need those DCM's. In this case I would have said, "You know I don't open until 7:00 and I need and respect my time so if you do the same and get here at 6:30 - 6:35 I will do it at a nominal fee of $_____/wk extra. If you don't call to let me know why you aren't here on time or here at all. The price will go up every time you are late or goes back to the 7:00 time, which ever is best for me." This guarantees respect for you, shows she must respect you as much as you respect yourself and when she doesn't follow through it shows this was a bad choice on your part to take her on. If this continues she probably at that point is showing you she isn't cooperating because she can't as she has so little respect for herself she couldn't possibly have any for you. Take on someone else.

Please don't lose sight of what is really going on here. We are working with the public who, most of them, have never had to be respectful and weren't taught to be. If we want respect for ourselves and our time and family we must clearly set that into your words we have with them. Make it clear. After all if they had the nerve to change your well thought schedule to begin with, that tells you right away they don't understand respect. Especially if they go on to abuse your agreement. Get rid of her!
QualiTcare 09:00 AM 01-10-2011

Yeah, I'm done.
it sucks that she didn't call. my guess would be that she's young and she really didn't know if she should call so early. i personally wouldn't write her off. now you've told her "yes, you should call," so give her time to screw up now that you've made it clear.

on another note, i live in TN and i grew up in the city, always saying, "i don't know why county schools and everything in the county is always closed - there's barely any snow blah blah blah" now i live in the county and i know why everything closes

my kids were out of school thursday, friday, and today. my roads look pretty clear, but this is a HUGE county! when it snowed a few weeks ago, there was barely any snow, but the roads were solid, THICK ice. just sayin - when you say "there's only 2 inches of snow" it makes the girl sound "ditzier" than she might really be to people who don't live around here.
Kaddidle Care 02:11 PM 01-10-2011
I would be expecting payment for those 2 hours if not for the whole day. Don't let her skip out on you with that one.

Not wanting to call you early was lame when you were expected to be ready at 5:30 AM.
boysx5 02:49 PM 01-10-2011
oh don't you know that they think we just sit home and wait for them to come to us I have one family who I love but they never come at a scheduled time drives me nuts
momatheart 03:20 PM 01-10-2011
I wonder if she will keep that job.If I was her employer I would replace her ASAP if she pulled that on her first day. I am sure too they have a draw full of applications due to this economy. Then again I live in the Midwest so 2 inches of snow is nothing.
MarinaVanessa 11:35 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
Translation: She did not want to be inconvenienced to get out of bed & call you so rather she inconvenienced you making you get up early & wait for nothing.
Let's not forget that she obviously called her work to tell them she wasn't going to work ... she could have called right then. She already had the phone in her hand. I'd be dunzo too.
Tags:bad day, late arrivals
Reply Up