Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>New Handbook/Policies... Charge Existing Clients For Deposit?
Holiday Park 06:48 AM 12-15-2012
In my new handbook it says when a person starts their child with me they must pay a deposit for the last week of care. I never charged my existing clients any kind of deposit at all to pay for their last week of care (with the stipulation they give 2 weeks notice) .

WWYD ? I would like to tell them this is required since this is what I do now and never charged them this when they originally signed up. Or should I just leave it alone?
Ok,just noticed i posted in the wrong section. So I will ask this. Parents who use in home daycare: Would you feel this is fair ? What are your thoughts? If I required it,they would be able to make weekly payments of $25.00 ,and not have to fork over the whole amount (for the last week of care deposit) all at once. Also,they will be getting 2 weeks notice before the handbook comes official, so it starts in January. This way if they disagree or choose to leave my care,they will also be getting time to look elsewhere before their signature is required on the new contracts.
gag 11:37 AM 12-22-2012
Originally Posted by Holiday Park:
In my new handbook it says when a person starts their child with me they must pay a deposit for the last week of care. I never charged my existing clients any kind of deposit at all to pay for their last week of care (with the stipulation they give 2 weeks notice) .

WWYD ? I would like to tell them this is required since this is what I do now and never charged them this when they originally signed up. Or should I just leave it alone?
Yes, a non-refundale deposit is common for last week, and if they pass a bad check they have to replenish the deposit. Tell them, when you give the 2 week notice, pay that 1 week and deposit pays for the last week 2. All at once, or $50 per week for 4 weeks is what I do. It's not like it's costing them, just paying ahead.
Abigail 06:42 PM 12-22-2012
I'm a provider, but I don't charge for 2 weeks anymore. I finally just used up the last families' pre-paid amount and it FEELS GOOD not to know I have "unearned money" sitting in the bank. I changed my contracts for my families after a few months in business from 2 weeks prepaid (which was over time up to 12 weeks to pay it all) just to a registration fee of $50 per child which is a one-time fee. Any family I currently had enrolled who signed the new contract I told them they do not have to pay that registration fee.

I have thought of other issues in my contract I need to change, but that was after I gave it out a week ago to all parents so notes for new year! UGH you think everything is perfect and find out later it isn't. ha ha.
Blackcat31 01:37 PM 12-23-2012
If you are now implementing a deposit but haven't done so in the past, I would only charge newly enrolling families the deposits.

I personally, would not charge any current familis a deposit. As a parent I would be a bit upset if you came to me after the fact and said "Oh I am now charging a deposit and you have to pay one."
If you do want to charge ALL families a deposit, I would charge new families the deposits BEFORE starting and maybe give the current families the option of paying their deposits in bi-weekly or weekly increments such as an additional $25 per week until they reach the equivelent of what their two week deposit would be.

Hope that helps
Mama 06:36 AM 12-27-2012
I've had to implement a deposit into my contract after a troublesome DCM kept pulling her son without notice to save money. I made changes and had her sign the new contract and pay the deposit before letting him back after the second time. I didn't make any of my existing families bind to that and just had all new families coming in do it.
Tags:deposit, handbook - revisions
Reply Up