Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM
AllDeezBabies's Avatar
AllDeezBabies AllDeezBabies is offline
Cuteness overload lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 197
Default Child Wants To Do What He Wants...

...When his sibling is here. I have a 2 year old boy who comes full time and his 11 year old brother is here early on Fridays. ANYTIME brother is here, he feels he can do what he pleases with hopes of his big brother "saving" him. I usually lay down my "law" and get him to comply; he'll get combative but with bad behavior comes time out.

Today he refused to eat and nap and screamed at the top of his lungs during naptime. My other daycare babies couldn't even sleep.

While this was taking place mom calls and I inform her that he has been acting out all day and refuses to nap.

Her reply "he needs a sippy cup to take to the cot with him so he can sleep". I never used this sippy cup while he was in my care I shelved it and didn't bother it anymore as with all my other dck's.

I calmly advised her that this won't resolve the issue I never had to do so I shouldn't have to do it now. When his brother is NOT here he acts like a little man. If I start this and he acts out again it will become a trend and that makes providing care for him a little harder. She became frustrated and stated she will hang up now because she can't stand to hear him cry.

He didn't want the sippy cup (he never EVER asks for his cup while here) he wanted his brother and now he is up snuggled under his brother wide awake, he didn't take a nap and I'll wait on mom to pick him up so he can give her hell when he gets home.

I feel like I'm not handling this the right way. What am I doing wrong??? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies View Post
...When his sibling is here. I have a 2 year old boy who comes full time and his 11 year old brother is here early on Fridays. ANYTIME brother is here, he feels he can do what he pleases with hopes of his big brother "saving" him. I usually lay down my "law" and get him to comply; he'll get combative but with bad behavior comes time out.

Today he refused to eat and nap and screamed at the top of his lungs during naptime. My other daycare babies couldn't even sleep.

While this was taking place mom calls and I inform her that he has been acting out all day and refuses to nap.

Her reply "he needs a sippy cup to take to the cot with him so he can sleep". I never used this sippy cup while he was in my care I shelved it and didn't bother it anymore as with all my other dck's.

I calmly advised her that this won't resolve the issue I never had to do so I shouldn't have to do it now. When his brother is NOT here he acts like a little man. If I start this and he acts out again it will become a trend and that makes providing care for him a little harder. She became frustrated and stated she will hang up now because she can't stand to hear him cry.

He didn't want the sippy cup (he never EVER asks for his cup while here) he wanted his brother and now he is up snuggled under his brother wide awake, he didn't take a nap and I'll wait on mom to pick him up so he can give her hell when he gets home.

I feel like I'm not handling this the right way. What am I doing wrong??? Please help!!!
hmmm I have never had this issue but that is only because I don't take kids older than 5.

I would be telling the 11 year old what the rules are and everyone is expected to follow these rules. He also needs to be told that when he is at your house that little brother does not get special privileges and needs to follow the rules just like everyone else. When he sees his little brother acting this way, big brother needs to tell him to follow the rules.

DO NOT negotiate under any circumstances. If you do, you are opening a can of worms for a battle every time. If its nap time, then its time to nap. Period. Big brother has to go in a different room and let little one sleep.

I would be telling the mother this as well so that she understands that it only happens when BB is there....
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:16 PM
AllDeezBabies's Avatar
AllDeezBabies AllDeezBabies is offline
Cuteness overload lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
hmmm I have never had this issue but that is only because I don't take kids older than 5.

I would be telling the 11 year old what the rules are and everyone is expected to follow these rules. He also needs to be told that when he is at your house that little brother does not get special privileges and needs to follow the rules just like everyone else. When he sees his little brother acting this way, big brother needs to tell him to follow the rules.

DO NOT negotiate under any circumstances. If you do, you are opening a can of worms for a battle every time. If its nap time, then its time to nap. Period. Big brother has to go in a different room and let little one sleep.

I would be telling the mother this as well so that she understands that it only happens when BB is there....
This is the thing, BB seemed very irritated that the little boy wanted to come to him when it was time for him to follow directions. When I gave direction and his BB followed up with "Ms. Daycare Lady" said go do XYZ, he'll scream to the tippy top of his lungs. BB is always compliant and he understands that his little brother must follow directions.

As far as how he acts when BB is here, I told mom this. I let her know before how he behaves when BB is here. This time she says, "Something must be hurting on his body because I never heard him cry like that before".

I never offered him that cup and I told her I won't start that trend. This is simply not how I run my business. I let him stay up because he was a huge destraction to the other children. I have to find a better way to deal with this because he cried so hard and loud my other littles cried.

But today on this Fabulous Friday, little, cranky, no-nap man shall work mothers nerves for the remainder of the day
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies View Post
This is the thing, BB seemed very irritated that the little boy wanted to come to him when it was time for him to follow directions. When I gave direction and his BB followed up with "Ms. Daycare Lady" said go do XYZ, he'll scream to the tippy top of his lungs. BB is always compliant and he understands that his little brother must follow directions.

As far as how he acts when BB is here, I told mom this. I let her know before how he behaves when BB is here. This time she says, "Something must be hurting on his body because I never heard him cry like that before".

I never offered him that cup and I told her I won't start that trend. This is simply not how I run my business. I let him stay up because he was a huge destraction to the other children. I have to find a better way to deal with this because he cried so hard and loud my other littles cried.

But today on this Fabulous Friday, little, cranky, no-nap man shall work mothers nerves for the remainder of the day
would it be possible for you to still have him nap in another room???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

She has never heard him cry like that before because she has obviously not ever told him no.

As far as big brother goes, why not encourage big brother to tell the little one to go lay down? Have big brother more or less shun him and not give into little brother's wishes to cuddle and play.

Once little brother figures out big brother does NOT want to play or cuddle with him, he might be more inclined to follow the rules.

When he DOES follow the rules, have big brother praise him for doing so.

I understand the big sibling/little sibling thing but this seems to have become the norm now in most families and I honestly think it is because the bigger sibling spends ALOT of time at home occupying or playing with the younger ones per parent requests.

I had a similar situation a few years back and it came out that mom and dad expected older sister to be repsonsible for the younger one a lot more than she should have ever had to be. ESPECIALLY when the age gap is big.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
AllDeezBabies's Avatar
AllDeezBabies AllDeezBabies is offline
Cuteness overload lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
would it be possible for you to still have him nap in another room???
Yes but the room is to the farthest part of my home. I would feel very uneasy with having him there and I'm unable to keep an eye on him and vice versa.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I think that BC hit the nail on the head here......



"She has never heard him cry like that before because she has obviously not ever told him no. "



and as a parent of children with a huge age gap, I do admit that my older kids help take care of my little guy quite a bit. they are not required to, but they just do......
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies View Post
Yes but the room is to the farthest part of my home. I would feel very uneasy with having him there and I'm unable to keep an eye on him and vice versa.
do you have a baby monitor with video? I used to have one of these for a problem sleeper that I had.... I had to put them in a PNP at the age of 2 and have them away from the group. I used the monitor and checked in physically every 10 min or so......

I used the CIO method with little to no reminder that it was nap time...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:36 PM
AllDeezBabies's Avatar
AllDeezBabies AllDeezBabies is offline
Cuteness overload lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
She has never heard him cry like that before because she has obviously not ever told him no.
As far as big brother goes, why not encourage big brother to tell the little one to go lay down? Have big brother more or less shun him and not give into little brother's wishes to cuddle and play.

Once little brother figures out big brother does NOT want to play or cuddle with him, he might be more inclined to follow the rules.

When he DOES follow the rules, have big brother praise him for doing so.

I understand the big sibling/little sibling thing but this seems to have become the norm now in most families and I honestly think it is because the bigger sibling spends ALOT of time at home occupying or playing with the younger ones per parent requests.

I had a similar situation a few years back and it came out that mom and dad expected older sister to be repsonsible for the younger one a lot more than she should have ever had to be. ESPECIALLY when the age gap is big.
@ the bolded, when I told her this before, oh she swore to the holy heavens that she can be so strict with him and how "she don't play". It's clear he is spoiled rotten.

What if I said that we have tried BB encouraging him and it doesn't work?

Mom has volunteered her time here a few days when she was off work because of a work injury and she saw with her own eyes how he acted a complete fool. She wouldn't take charge and I had to take charge, when it came to bad I had to ask her to leave. I had to remind her of this today.

But the sibling expectations is exactly what this case sounds like because when BB is here, he does not want to be bothered with little brother at all. And is quite elated when he has to do something so he can no longer be his shadow.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
AllDeezBabies's Avatar
AllDeezBabies AllDeezBabies is offline
Cuteness overload lover
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
do you have a baby monitor with video? I used to have one of these for a problem sleeper that I had.... I had to put them in a PNP at the age of 2 and have them away from the group. I used the monitor and checked in physically every 10 min or so......

I used the CIO method with little to no reminder that it was nap time...
I don't have one but this may be my next investment. Does it hook up to the TV or something?? I don't know much about the video monitors.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,320
Default

I had this same issue at my old job. We had a family of five and I had all five siblings in my room at one point or another. It started when the oldest was old enough to go to school, and then when she would be out on breaks and in the summer the other ones would cry for her, and act up. And it just went on for years, as each one went to school, the younger ones would not listen, throw fits etc when the older siblings would be in the building all day.

I admit,it was hell at times. I even posted about the last two on here.... But it never lasted more than a few hours at a time, once I laid down the law and they realized they weren't going to hang under there siblings and nothing was going to be different, they gave it up. Just be consistent.

Oh, and don't call the mom anymore. She probably doesn't understand why you didn't just send him to his brother in the first place. Parents often dont get why siblings aren't just given all access to each other. I've had many kids tell me "my mom said i had to make sure my brother/sister doesn't cry" etc...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Your Daycare Kids Act Out at Pickup? jenh171 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 72 12-13-2018 05:57 PM
Potty Training, Over 3 Yrs, When Do Boys Catch On? My4SunshineGirlsNY Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 07-17-2012 04:02 PM
Drop Off Problem... Dsquared Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 02-11-2011 11:52 AM
Daycare Parents Handbook DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 12-04-2010 01:35 AM
Payment When Provider Is Out Sick Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 18 02-16-2009 02:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming