Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Magnet Child Proof Locks?
Play Care 05:14 AM 07-22-2014
Does anyone use something like this:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WX5JXS/...NHDZ0HTA&psc=1

Does it work? My child proof locks are due to be changed and I like the idea of something that can be turned off on weekends/vacations.
Blackcat31 05:20 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Does anyone use something like this:http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WX5JXS/...NHDZ0HTA&psc=1

Does it work? My child proof locks are due to be changed and I like the idea of something that can be turned off on weekends/vacations.
I use these. Have for YEARS!

LOVE THEM!!! I would NEVER even consider ANY other type of door lock.

It was bit spendy at first since the cost was about $15-20 per 2 lock set but like I said, I've used them for years and never had one break or not work.

I would absolutely recommend them to anyone doing child care. Parents are ALWAYS impressed at how well they really do work.
melilley 05:21 AM 07-22-2014
We had similar magnetic locks at a daycare that I worked at. They worked really well and lasted forever; we were constantly using them. I liked that you can make them so that they aren't child proof whenever you want. We had a diaper cupboard that we unlocked during changes.
melilley 05:22 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It was bit spendy at first since the cost was about $15-20 per 2 lock set but like I said, I've used them for years and never had one break or not work.

I would absolutely recommend them to anyone doing child care. Parents are ALWAYS impressed at how well they really do work.
Those are the locks we had at a center that I worked at. Vary rarely did one break and as you can imagine, in a center we used them all the time.
Play Care 05:25 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Is this the same as this?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GCJMLG/...GTPPYZWI&psc=1

Because they may have changed the name. If so I will buy it and see.
Blackcat31 05:31 AM 07-22-2014
They appear to be a bit different but work in the same manner.

I don't know why the design is different other than people want choices...IDK.

I have also seen a brand called Rev-A-Lock too but they all seem similar and just as good as the others so I think it's the concept that is so great!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ck&FORM=HDRSC2

I'd buy which ever one is available to you.

I DO love that I can make the door operable when I want too.
Shell 05:32 AM 07-22-2014
I have the tot locks, too and love them!!! The ones above don't look quite the same, idk. We got ours at babies r us a few years back.
Play Care 05:35 AM 07-22-2014
I'm a bit nervous as the Safety 1st ones seem to be complicated to install. Neither DH or I is handy...

But if I could get them and have them installed correctly it might solve my child proofing issues.
LysesKids 05:55 AM 07-22-2014
I've used Kid Co & Tot locks... LOVE THEM BOTH. The fact you don't have to drill to install Kid Co makes them my favorite
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 07-22-2014
I'm a bit nervous as the Safety 1st ones seem to be complicated to install. Neither DH or I is handy...

But if I could get them and have them installed correctly it might solve my child proofing issues.
They really aren't complicated to install at all.

They give you a template because it's important that the locking mechanism is placed in the right area or it won't latch to the door frame, locking the door...kwim?

My DH is handy but I could have installed these myself.

The only thing my DH said to do is make sure you drill a pilot hole first...makes it really easy then.
KiddieCahoots 08:01 AM 07-22-2014
I was in the market for new child proof locks, and read a post that regulations somewhere in CA would only accept these child proof locks. I figured that was a good enough reason for me to make the decision to get the Tot locks, lol! .....maybe a starting trend?
spinnymarie 10:37 AM 07-22-2014
I have these:
http://smile.amazon.com/Safety-1st-M...+cabinet+locks

Installed myself, super easy and I LOVE that I can keep them on 'unlock' if I need to and switch them back to 'lock' when I'm done (weekends, cleaning out cabinets, etc).
DaveA 10:39 AM 07-22-2014
Those look cool. I'll have to grab a set to try out.
Play Care 11:14 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by spinnymarie:
I have these:
http://smile.amazon.com/Safety-1st-M...+cabinet+locks

Installed myself, super easy and I LOVE that I can keep them on 'unlock' if I need to and switch them back to 'lock' when I'm done (weekends, cleaning out cabinets, etc).
Do they work well on drawers? The lock I currently have on my silverware drawer is so loose
Play Care 11:15 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I've used Kid Co & Tot locks... LOVE THEM BOTH. The fact you don't have to drill to install Kid Co makes them my favorite
I liked that about the kid co ones, but don't know if they would work on my cabinets or drawers from reading the reviews.
LysesKids 11:26 AM 07-22-2014
I liked that about the kid co ones, but don't know if they would work on my cabinets or drawers from reading the reviews.
I found one set of cabinets (in 4 years) they didn't work on... , however the Tot lock wouldn't work either just because of how it was built. I ended going old school with the 2 piece handle thingy for those 2 doors
Play Care 03:06 AM 10-06-2014
Update for those who may be looking for these types of locks.

I purchased BOTH the Kidco and Safety 1st brands.

The Kidco locks were much easier to install on my cabinets, I did wind up using the screws that came with them to get a more sturdy install. They work well. They did NOT work on my drawers as they were too long and wouldn't close properly.

Safety 1st - a much sturdier product, but a bit of a pain to install. I used this on my utensil drawer as well as my med cabinet in the bathroom. I had to install this upside down in my med cabinet and I love having that option (can't do that with the kidco lock)

Both of them have the option of turning "off" the locks during non business hours - great for me as my own kids are much older and we don't need child proofing devices on evenings/weekends.

If I had to purchase more locks I would probably go with the Safety 1st ones simply because I feel they are a sturdier option, but would easily recommend both. I had my licensing renewal visit last Friday and she was impressed - she claims she hasn't seen these types of locks before...
I'm so glad I got them. Much better than what we had before (where the drawers and cabinets would open a fraction of an inch and you would have to push down on the latch) And better yet I love love love that this option satisfies licensing but doesn't interfere with my family at all
Unregistered 09:18 AM 10-06-2014
Might be worth getting a second back up magnet though. Ours got flushed and could not get into the cabinet without dismantling the whole cabinet door. Luckily we had Amazon Prime and only had to wait a few days for a replacement.
Blackcat31 09:26 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Might be worth getting a second back up magnet though. Ours got flushed and could not get into the cabinet without dismantling the whole cabinet door. Luckily we had Amazon Prime and only had to wait a few days for a replacement.
I bought two right off...which was a good thing because I "cooked" the first one. Mine was plastic coating over the magnet....

I kept it on my fridge for easy access but must not have put it back and just set it on the stove. Then it stuck to a cookie sheet I was putting in the oven and no one noticed until the smoke detector went off and the "plastic" smell and smoke came pouring out of the oven when I opened the door...

Bought ANOTHER back up, just in case I did it again.
Play Care 09:55 AM 10-06-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I read the reviews on Amazon before buying and many people suggested the second (or third!) keys
I have two.
Clean_Living 02:44 PM 08-17-2015
I have worked in class rooms from kindergarten to high-school and I have not seen a child over come these type of locks. (To be fair I have never seen them beyond 1st grade classrooms). I found this article on magnetic locks: http://united-locksmith.net/blog/eve...magnetic-locks

It is a lot of info, but it talks about magnetic keyed locks (like this one). It is not super high security, but it will work for children no doubt. It is the most uncomplicated form of magnetic locks, but the cons section in the article said that the only real downside is the security it offers. If it does offer ok security against a criminal, so that would make it super effective for young children.

Again I have seen these locks work in a classroom setting, with up to 40 kids running around pulling on the doors. I have yet to see the lock fail.

I hope that helps.
sharlan 04:47 PM 08-17-2015
I've had these ones for 5 years now and I love them.

http://tot-lok.com/
Reply Up