Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Interview!!
treehugger82 05:35 AM 04-05-2011
Woot!
Any tips from the trenches ladies? I am really interested to see how the kids are. I did not hear one peep from them when we were doing the phone interview. That never happens here! I don't really want them to have free run of the play room, so I was thinking of having one basket of toys out for them to play with. The mom seems very nice and works for a doctor here in town. Crossing fingers!
PitterPatter 05:48 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by treehugger82:
Woot!
Any tips from the trenches ladies? I am really interested to see how the kids are. I did not hear one peep from them when we were doing the phone interview. That never happens here! I don't really want them to have free run of the play room, so I was thinking of having one basket of toys out for them to play with. The mom seems very nice and works for a doctor here in town. Crossing fingers!
Yep that's exactly what I do. I choose a couple toys or a set and have it on the coffee table or the kids corner in th living room ready for them. I have a gate up so the parents and kids can look into the play room but they can't just run in there and trash it while I talk to DCM. That has happened before and it was "come on kids u can come back on Monday and play. Thanks have a great weekend" nice enough family but I was left with a mess.

Oh and make sure u lay out ALL the rules and policies up front so they can't say later "oh u didn't tell me that and I didn't actually read the whole contract". Had that issue too lol.

Good luck with your interview I hope u get a great family!!
MsMe 05:53 AM 04-05-2011
You will know by the end of the interview if you and the family 'mesh' other than that....outline your program and routines so they can have an idea of what he day will be like and if they like it. Be brepared for questions they will have

-what snacks/lunches do you serve? what itme? what foods? what would you do if my child wanted an extra snack? what do the kids drink?
-what is your outdoor play sched?
-what is your disipline policy
- do you ahve a dress code?
-what supplies am I required to bring--what do you provide?
-referances?
-Nap questions
-diapers changing/potty training/ accidents?
-do you was soiled cloths vs send them home?
-health policy
-vacation/ time off for you and them. Paid/un-paid?
-feild trips/trips in the car. Are the kids going to run around town with you? Do you transport to/ from preschool?
-Will you except a new baby if they get preg?
-Do you smoke/does anyone on the property?
-Do you plan to have an assistant or helper
-policy on t.v/ movies/ music
-what do YOU do during nap time?
-your cleaning policies? what do you use? Bleach? green cleaners? Vinegar?
-drop off and pick up expectations
-how much with your family be involved (older children, husband, sister ect)
-do you provide a back up provider or should they have one ready? Be very honest about how much time off you will need/ how often you or your children tend to be sick.
-what education do you have in early childhood/ are you planning to start/continue?
-why did you want to start a daycare?
-what areas of your home yard or off limits? for daycare only? shared spaces?

I could go on for days! these are just some that came to me quickly.

GOOD LUCK
Meeko 06:26 AM 04-05-2011
After many years of interviewing, I have learned to make sure that I get the message across that they are NOT interviewing me for employment.

I am my own boss.

I try to take charge of the conversation and I ask many questions of my own. I use words like "our policy is" and "the children are expected to.." I feel it's important that parents know up front that you run your business a certain way and they are not at liberty to change your rules as they see fit.

If I get an "uppity" parent who talks to me as if she's looking to hire a servant, I choose my words carefully. I had one mother who was a total snob at the interview and looked down on me like her maid. At the end of the interview, she haughtily said "I really like what I see and I will employ you starting Monday" I just smiled sweetly and replied, "Oh I have a couple more interviews in the next few days (I didn't at that time!). I will decide by Friday which child I wish to take". It took the wind out her sails and she just said "Oh". I called her on the Friday to say I had taken another child, but thank you for considering us. That scenario has gotten me out of taking what I know will be difficult parents.

Don't be talked down to. It's your home and your business. State how you run things. They are free to buy your services, but according to your rules. Remember you are a business owner now. Many parents will try to treat you just as a babysitter. Make sure they know up front that's not the case.

Good luck! You'll do great!
treehugger82 06:35 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Tygerluv:

Oh and make sure u lay out ALL the rules and policies up front so they can't say later "oh u didn't tell me that and I didn't actually read the whole contract". Had that issue too lol.

Good luck with your interview I hope u get a great family!!
Thank you! I was thinking that I need to be very upfront with her b/c she seems really on the ball, but I do not want someone figuring out ways to get around my policies (not to sound bad, I just know it happens).

Originally Posted by LLD:
You will know by the end of the interview if you and the family 'mesh' other than that....outline your program and routines so they can have an idea of what he day will be like and if they like it. Be brepared for questions they will have

-what snacks/lunches do you serve? what itme? what foods? what would you do if my child wanted an extra snack? what do the kids drink?
-what is your outdoor play sched?
-what is your disipline policy
- do you ahve a dress code?
-what supplies am I required to bring--what do you provide?
-referances?
-Nap questions
-diapers changing/potty training/ accidents?
-do you was soiled cloths vs send them home?
-health policy
-vacation/ time off for you and them. Paid/un-paid?
-feild trips/trips in the car. Are the kids going to run around town with you? Do you transport to/ from preschool?
-Will you except a new baby if they get preg?
-Do you smoke/does anyone on the property?
-Do you plan to have an assistant or helper
-policy on t.v/ movies/ music
-what do YOU do during nap time?
-your cleaning policies? what do you use? Bleach? green cleaners? Vinegar?
-drop off and pick up expectations
-how much with your family be involved (older children, husband, sister ect)
-do you provide a back up provider or should they have one ready? Be very honest about how much time off you will need/ how often you or your children tend to be sick.
-what education do you have in early childhood/ are you planning to start/continue?
-why did you want to start a daycare?
-what areas of your home yard or off limits? for daycare only? shared spaces?

I could go on for days! these are just soem that came to me quickly.

GOOD LUCK
Wow, thank you! Some of those questions I have answers to, some I had not even thought of.
tulip1969 06:40 AM 04-05-2011
I always take out my "handbook" and go through it to make sure I have not left anything out. I do not read it to them but use it as my guide. I then let the parent take it home to read through on their own. Good luck!
MsMe 06:54 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
After many years of interviewing, I have learned to make sure that I get the message across that they are NOT interviewing me for employment.

I am my own boss.

I try to take charge of the conversation and I ask many questions of my own. I use words like "our policy is" and "the children are expected to.." I feel it's important that parents know up front that you run your business a certain way and they are not at liberty to change your rules as they see fit.

If I get an "uppity" parent who talks to me as if she's looking to hire a servant, I choose my words carefully. I had one mother who was a total snob at the interview and looked down on me like her maid. At the end of the interview, she haughtily said "I really like what I see and I will employ you starting Monday" I just smiled sweetly and replied, "Oh I have a couple more interviews in the next few days (I didn't at that time!). I will decide by Friday which child I wish to take". It took the wind out her sails and she just said "Oh". I called her on the Friday to say I had taken another child, but thank you for considering us. That scenario has gotten me out of taking what I know will be difficult parents.

Don't be talked down to. It's your home and your business. State how you run things. They are free to buy your services, but according to your rules. Remember you are a business owner now. Many parents will try to treat you just as a babysitter. Make sure they know up front that's not the case.

Good luck! You'll do great!
I LOVE this and have also used the ' I have other families to consider" line myself. It is a life saver. Remember it is up tp you to choose the families you care for. You will be hopefuly be spending years with their children and it is very important that you have repect for eachother!!
Tags:first interview, interview, interview - questions
Reply Up