Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training -- Has Anyone Else Ever Dealt With THIS?
Unregistered 10:26 AM 09-11-2012
I'm a registered member logged out for privacy ...

I have a 3.5 yo dcb who is currently potty-training. He`ll pee in the toilet whenever I ask him to, but he has yet to poop in the toilet here. He doesn`t tell me when he needs to go (even though he apparently tells mom and dad at home), so I`ve been letting him sit on the toilet whenever we do diaper changes, especially when he`s due to fill his diaper. Normally he stands to pee, so sitting is a bit of a novelty. The first time I sat him on the toilet, he started playing with himself. I have two boys of my own who did the exact same thing, so it was no big deal, except that I do not want him doing it in front of the other kiddos (we`re all in the bathroom together every time). Today I gave him a book to distract him, only to find that he was using the book to stimulate himself.

What should I do? I really don`t think it`s appropriate behaviour with a bunch of other people in the room, and he`s still too impulsive to leave in the bathroom on his own. Should I just not sit him on the toilet?

He`s ready to completely train, but I`m not sure I`ve ever encountered an issue quite like this.

Any ideas?
cheerfuldom 11:35 AM 09-11-2012
can you put up a small screen or curtain for privacy? I would not give him books or anything if he is using the distractions inappropriately. Just let him sit there on the potty, check on him and make sure he knows the rules about what he can and cannot do in there. I am guessing that individual trip to the potty with just him is not an option?
daycare 01:10 PM 09-11-2012
I would just tell him STOP. the next time he does it and go on as if it did not happen.

I had a kid who would do that at nap time. I did the above and he stopped.

Or you can tell him do that at home, not here.

But stop seems to be a pretty clear message
SilverSabre25 01:22 PM 09-11-2012
I would just tell him, "DCB, it's not polite to do that at daycare," and leave it at that. I don't tell them "do it at home" or anything like that because I do NOT know the family's rules about it--I just stick with the facts I KNOW are true, and that is, "It's not polite to do that at daycare."
itlw8 01:42 PM 09-11-2012
does he really have to go potty with a group? let him sit After the group goes.
Unregistered 06:23 PM 09-11-2012
OP here.

This dcb is still very impulsive and I wouldn't feel safe leaving him alone in the bathroom for more than a minute. He'd be the one to jump up and swing on the blinds or swan-dive off the counter :-/.

Do you guys think it's worth it for me to keep sitting him and possibly to keep having to tell him to keep his hands off himself, or should I just back off until he's ready to start telling me he has to go #2? He's doing just fine with peeing standing up, so it wouldn't affect that progress.
Tags:potty training
Reply Up