Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCB
spud912 08:00 PM 08-19-2013
Dcb is going on his 3rd week here and the dcm mentioned during pick-up today that they are having some issues at home since he started daycare. Mainly, he gets really upset when he has to leave here and he throws a temper tantrum on the way home (they live very close, so the tantrum is about 5 minutes long). For the remaining time at home before bed time, he gets into everything and acts ornery. The dcm told me this is out of the ordinary for her and she was wondering what his behavior is here.....also what he is eating and if he is napping ok because he seems very tired.

He is a such a sweet boy while here (minus some very minor and normal behavior for a 19 month old boy) and has had very little issues adjusting to our routine. He has been nannied at home up until now and this is his first time in an environment outside of his home and with other children. As far as her questions, I told her that he is very good for me and follows directions. Obviously he is not perfect and does partake in occasional boy and 19-month old behavior issues, but it's completely normal and manageable. He naps great for me (3+ hours) and goes down without a fuss and wakes up happy. He is very tired right before the nap because he used to nap at 11:30/12-ish and we don't go down until 1 pm (in his case, I usually put him to sleep 15-30 minutes early). He eats ok, although he has a preference for fruit, veggies and milk. He doesn't eat very many grains or meat, but enough to satisfy me. I'm very drama-free at meals, but require the children to try 1-2 bites of everything on their plate, which he eats at least that much on his own. He is off the growth charts so I personally don't think there are any dietary things to be concerned about.

To be honest, I think it's just the change of environment and a LOT more activity than he is used to resulting in some over-stimulation and exhaustion. In my personal experience, all of this settles down within a month or so of the child attending. It's also common for his age group to start acting out.....I've always said that terrible two's are not terrible at all....it's the 18 month to 24 month age group that can be a challenge. I told her all of this but I think she is still concerned and wants some reaffirmation. Short of video taping and sending more consistent daily reports (something I don't normally do as it is time intensive and opens myself up to unnecessary scrutiny), I don't know of anything else I can do to prove to her that this environment is good for him versus a one-on-one nanny atmosphere at home.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
cheerfuldom 08:37 PM 08-19-2013
I think you have handled this well and I certainly would not provide infant care sheets or video taping to prove myself. Either she believes you or she doesn't. She may choose to terminate care but that doesnt mean that you are doing anything wrong. I think the best thing you can do is to continue as is. Dont get caught up trying to prove yourself or offering special treatment and extras in order to soothe her feelings. This really isnt your problem to solve. He is doing well for you at daycare and yes, the adjustment period for that age could be several weeks more but again, you cant do anything about what is happening at home. It sounds like he is probably gaining in confidence and energy (due to a healthy nap schedule) at your house and that is adding to the energy at home in the evenings. plus, he's full fledged toddler. if this is her first child, you can bet that she is just seeing him come into his own as a toddler and she is not ready for that yet. you probably dont know what hours the nanny used to work but its possible the nanny was doing a lot of evening care too so who knows how much this mom was actually doing prior to moving this kid to daycare.
Laurel 04:19 AM 08-20-2013
I think you handled it well but if she is a first time mom it might not hurt to refer her to a website or give her a print out of typical behavior for her child's age. My daughter goes to a really good one and it gives the info week by week by age. I'll ask her which one it is. It is usually right on target.

She needs to give him time to adjust also. My grandson is a sleeper. My daughter begged me to give him a short hour nap right before pick up and it works for him. He is much better in the evening and goes down for his 8 p.m. bedtime fine. That might be an option also.

Laurel
Cat Herder 07:42 AM 08-20-2013
I'd also think it could be due to his loving the new activities, resources, freedom to explore and energy level in your care.

If he is leaving an environment and routine geared to children and entering an "adult" geared one each evening.. I'd kind of expect his outright frustration and resentment of it.

Maybe suggest a quick trip to a local park or a quick game of chase in the backyard, at home, before beginning her usual evening routine?
Reply Up