Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wasted Food
badger411 06:17 PM 08-19-2016
How do you deal with/cope with/rationalize all of the food that is wasted on a typical day? It feels like no matter what we serve, half to 3/4 of it gets thrown away because it is mushed and mixed together. Even when we ask the kids what they want, they often refuse to eat it. The one that asks for just jelly starts to cry and says she doesn't like it. The others refuse for similar reasons. It doesn't matter what we say, what the consequences are, them being hungry later, etc., they simply won't eat it. I am seriously considering adding a meal charge onto my base rate to cover all the wasted food.
Blackcat31 07:05 PM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by badger411:
How do you deal with/cope with/rationalize all of the food that is wasted on a typical day? It feels like no matter what we serve, half to 3/4 of it gets thrown away because it is mushed and mixed together. Even when we ask the kids what they want, they often refuse to eat it. The one that asks for just jelly starts to cry and says she doesn't like it. The others refuse for similar reasons. It doesn't matter what we say, what the consequences are, them being hungry later, etc., they simply won't eat it. I am seriously considering adding a meal charge onto my base rate to cover all the wasted food.

I have learned to accept the following facts:

I will spend $X amount each week on groceries.
The kids will eat alll of it.
The money is spend and is gone.

This is the SAME thing:

The kids will eat none of it.

See? You serve/they eat (or not).
The money is spent either way.

It's just not one of those power struggles I am willing to engage in.

SOOOOO much less stressful.

....and for some reason when you no longer care or push them to eat, they start eating.
jenboo 07:10 PM 08-19-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

This is the SAME thing:

....and for some reason when you no longer care or push them to eat, they start eating.

KiwiKids 07:32 PM 08-19-2016

This is the SAME thing:

Yes! Exactly! Although I've switched to just breakfast as of September 1st. Packed lunches only. I will never get rid of breakfast because all my kids are very early drop offs.
Mike 08:25 PM 08-19-2016

I've frequently noticed that in my babysitting history also.
MunchkinWrangler 10:06 PM 08-19-2016
Very good advice from BlackCat.

I plan a menu and I serve what is on it, no substitutes, no extras. I serve well balanced meals. I have learned to let go because it is true that the money is spent either way.
Josiegirl 05:00 AM 08-20-2016
Sure, there's wasted food. And lots of complaints in the form of refusal to eat, whining, crying, other food being demanded and I've even had plates thrown off the table before. It happens. It's annoying and frustrating. BUT I am not a short order cook or a restaurant. I DO try to serve at least one thing at each meal that I know they'll eat so they're not gonna starve because a hungry kid is a grumpy kid and NOBODY wants to deal with that all day long.
Other than BC's advice, I'd suggest just placing a little bit of each food on their plates so when you're throwing it away, you only see 1 green pepper strip go into the garbage(compost!)and not half a pepper. Then think leftovers or hide-a-food or freezer.
Pestle 05:39 AM 08-20-2016
It helps that I compost. (Fruit and veggies only--no grains, dairy, or meats.) I feel less frustrated when I can treat the leftovers as if they still have value.

Also, I pay attention to the foods that are a hit with each child, and over time I modify the menu so that somebody's favorite is getting served. I think that when the others see one kid wolfing something down, it makes the rest of them eat more of it.
racemom 06:03 AM 08-20-2016
I have great eaters in my room, because I don't care.

Everyone gets some of everything, if they say they don't like it they get a small portion. I don't engage in arguing if they eat or not. If they want seconds, their plate must be empty. I don't argue with them I calmly state the fact I only refill empty plates, and if they cry and whine fine. Lunch or snack is not going to be a struggle.

I even have one dcg who has been diagnosed with failure to thrive, came to us with the warning she eats nothing, after using this approach she eats as much as I will give her. Still refuses to eat at home, but they are still in a power struggle over food with her. Eating is something I refuse to engage in a power struggle over. It is up to them if they,want to be hungry or not.
MissAnn 06:28 AM 08-20-2016
I make it a non issue. I don't plead or even ask kids to eat. I don't over praise when they do. They have to use manners......can't say yuck or I don't like it....I tell them it might hurt the feelings of the person who made it.

And lo and behold......I usually have all good eaters.

Oh but the times I don't have such good eaters I have visions of scooping up all those fresh/organic fruits and vegetables left on their plates and making me a smoothie out of them!
Annalee 07:03 AM 08-20-2016
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I make it a non issue. I don't plead or even ask kids to eat. I don't over praise when they do. They have to use manners......can't say yuck or I don't like it....I tell them it might hurt the feelings of the person who made it.

And lo and behold......I usually have all good eaters.

Oh but the times I don't have such good eaters I have visions of scooping up all those fresh/organic fruits and vegetables left on their plates and making me a smoothie out of them!
I work with my mom and her biggest issues is wasted food. She is from the generation that grew up with "just enough" so it is hard for her to accept the wasted food I have always told her to just "ignore" it and she has gotten much better but it still bothers her I know.
Unregistered 04:49 AM 08-22-2016
I also make it a non issue. kids who are less inclined to eat get smaller portions with the option of more always.

I first encourage to eat a little more but if a kid is a good eater I will give seconds before every item is gone. I find keeping things in balance the best route.

I don't do other options. I plan very healthy, from scratch, meals. Still kid friendly. they get what they get! I don't make a big deal out of meal time.
Meeko 06:41 AM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by racemom:
I have great eaters in my room, because I don't care.

Everyone gets some of everything, if they say they don't like it they get a small portion. I don't engage in arguing if they eat or not. If they want seconds, their plate must be empty. I don't argue with them I calmly state the fact I only refill empty plates, and if they cry and whine fine. Lunch or snack is not going to be a struggle.

I even have one dcg who has been diagnosed with failure to thrive, came to us with the warning she eats nothing, after using this approach she eats as much as I will give her. Still refuses to eat at home, but they are still in a power struggle over food with her. Eating is something I refuse to engage in a power struggle over. It is up to them if they,want to be hungry or not.
I had one just like her! Refused to eat anything but baby food. They even had her seeing a nutritionist at the hospital.

She was just being manipulative.

One day, I took photos of her eating a normal lunch and they showed them to the doc who admitted they had all been duped!
Controlled Chaos 11:55 AM 08-23-2016
Same idea but for grown ups -
My grandma used to give my aunt a hard time about not eating all the food served to her at restaurants and my aunt always used to reply : "Whether it ends up on my thighs or in the garbage we already paid for it!"

DaveA 12:48 PM 08-23-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:

One day, I took photos of her eating a normal lunch and they showed them to the doc who admitted they had all been duped!
I had a DCB just like that. I would tell DCM what he ate that day and she wouldn't believe it because mealtimes were such a fight at home if it wasn't one of 3 things.
laundrymom 07:29 PM 08-23-2016
I serve. They eat. Or don't. They will eventually. Or they'll be grumpy. And grumpy children must be tired since they didn't want to eat. Right?

So they get a nap.
Then a snack

Rinse and repeat.

Originally Posted by badger411:

Lil_Diddle 09:19 PM 08-23-2016
I cringe every time I pour milk down the drain. I serve well balanced meals, and try to serve a variety. I always try and include fresh fruits and veggies. The grocery part of my budget is pretty substantial. I had a new dcm tell me her child was a picky eater and sent me a list of what he will eat. She came in this morning and was concerned about him eating, and asked if I offer alternatives. Of course I said no, I provide meals daily that include all the food groups. She then asked me if I got her (very limited list) I said yes (but of course I can't cater to her child alone. I come from the philosophy that if they are hungry enough they'll eat. When I had a boy that began a few months ago his mom was concerned about the same thing, now she comes in and said "he won't eat that at home I'm glad he tries that for you. The new dcm asked if she could bring in alternatives. I debated and then decided that ok that children can bring a cold lunch but it must include the major food groups and absolutely no sweets or treats. I still don't know if I'm completely on board with this decision just toddlers won't understand why kid "A" gets something different. The Dcm then asked if she brought alternatives and he didn't eat much of his lunch could I give him the other. I said I guess but now I'm thinking that, that is totally unfair to the other kids...two lunches. I think I need to make it like the schools. Hot lunch or cold lunch. I do post the weekly menu for all to see. Curious on how the rest of you would have handled that
Lil_Diddle 09:20 PM 08-23-2016
Absolutely love this philosophy
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I serve. They eat. Or don't. They will eventually. Or they'll be grumpy. And grumpy children must be tired since they didn't want to eat. Right?

So they get a nap.
Then a snack

Rinse and repeat.

Blackcat31 06:24 AM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
I cringe every time I pour milk down the drain. I serve well balanced meals, and try to serve a variety. I always try and include fresh fruits and veggies. The grocery part of my budget is pretty substantial. I had a new dcm tell me her child was a picky eater and sent me a list of what he will eat. She came in this morning and was concerned about him eating, and asked if I offer alternatives. Of course I said no, I provide meals daily that include all the food groups. She then asked me if I got her (very limited list) I said yes (but of course I can't cater to her child alone. I come from the philosophy that if they are hungry enough they'll eat. When I had a boy that began a few months ago his mom was concerned about the same thing, now she comes in and said "he won't eat that at home I'm glad he tries that for you. The new dcm asked if she could bring in alternatives. I debated and then decided that ok that children can bring a cold lunch but it must include the major food groups and absolutely no sweets or treats. I still don't know if I'm completely on board with this decision just toddlers won't understand why kid "A" gets something different. The Dcm then asked if she brought alternatives and he didn't eat much of his lunch could I give him the other. I said I guess but now I'm thinking that, that is totally unfair to the other kids...two lunches. I think I need to make it like the schools. Hot lunch or cold lunch. I do post the weekly menu for all to see. Curious on how the rest of you would have handled that
Nope. I understand the idea but I think it's coddling and I think its unrealistic for group care.

I would never allow a parent to bring food in unless I required all parents to do so.

I am on the food program so all my children are offered the same meal (plenty of choices for even the pickiest eater) and that's that.

I think if you don't normally allow parents to bring food in, I would not allow this one to.

I know you already said you would do it but there is nothing wrong with saying you thought about it or tried it and decided it isn't going to work if you change your mind.
Mike 07:35 AM 08-24-2016
That gave me a good idea for when I start. If all parents want to do this, I'm thinking, as part of my weekly menu, 1 day each week or every other week, parents bring their kids lunch. That one day, they will each have their own meal made by mommy.

Does anyone do anything like that, or ever tried it?
daycarediva 07:58 AM 08-24-2016
Mike I think that's a great idea. My issue is AT LEAST one parent would forget.

We 'brown bag' lunches 1x/week in summer and eat outside. I put them in paper bags with the kids names on them and it's a huge treat to have a sandwich. I thought we could have parents provide them, but I would not want to deal with the various containers/bags/issues with Cohen getting chips and Sylas getting carrots, etc.
daycarediva 07:59 AM 08-24-2016
I serve what I serve my family, so I just make a little more. I have them serve SMALL amounts, we use a tablespoon as a scoop and they can't have seconds of anything unless they eat all of their firsts.

I have had really great eaters, so I don't throw away a lot, but I have the same thoughts as BC. Either way, I spent the money so why do I care?
Lil_Diddle 12:37 PM 08-24-2016
I think this a great idea, and would really help cut down on my costs
Originally Posted by Mike:
That gave me a good idea for when I start. If all parents want to do this, I'm thinking, as part of my weekly menu, 1 day each week or every other week, parents bring their kids lunch. That one day, they will each have their own meal made by mommy.

Does anyone do anything like that, or ever tried it?

Lil_Diddle 12:42 PM 08-24-2016
So I did tell DCm I gave it more thought and that it would be strictly a hot or cold, and told her that if he was hungry enough he would eat and may even be more motivated to try new things. Anyways, I also told her she could bring lunch but it had to include all the food groups. Im still not ththrilled about the idea of bringing in lunches, but I do understand her concern. She just looks over my menu so condescending. Like tomorrow is cheese quesadilla on whole wheat tortilla, black beans, corn and orange slices...she was just like he might eat the quesadilla. Black rand? Do kids eat black beans. My answer was yes that a few will.
Nope. I understand the idea but I think it's coddling and I think its unrealistic for group care.

I would never allow a parent to bring food in unless I required all parents to do so.

I am on the food program so all my children are offered the same meal (plenty of choices for even the pickiest eater) and that's that.

I think if you don't normally allow parents to bring food in, I would not allow this one to.

I know you already said you would do it but there is nothing wrong with saying you thought about it or tried it and decided it isn't going to work if you change your mind.

Blackcat31 01:26 PM 08-24-2016
Originally Posted by Lil_Diddle:
So I did tell DCm I gave it more thought and that it would be strictly a hot or cold, and told her that if he was hungry enough he would eat and may even be more motivated to try new things. Anyways, I also told her she could bring lunch but it had to include all the food groups. Im still not ththrilled about the idea of bringing in lunches, but I do understand her concern. She just looks over my menu so condescending. Like tomorrow is cheese quesadilla on whole wheat tortilla, black beans, corn and orange slices...she was just like he might eat the quesadilla. Black rand? Do kids eat black beans. My answer was yes that a few will.
Experiencing new foods and seeing your peers take part in eating foods that may be foreign to a child is a positive experience.

Limiting him to only those things DCM knows he likes is sad and actually counterproductive. He will NEVER be motivated (in anyway) to want to try new things.

If you are going to allow mom to be responsible for his meals, I would not take ANY part in substituting or adding additions onto what mom sends. If she is going to be responsible for his food she needs to be responsible for ALL of it.

^^ That might even encourage DCB to WANT to try your food. If he sees the others kids enjoying what you served and happily gobbling it down, he may say he doesn't want his food..you can always tell him that is what mom sent so he needs to eat what mom sent...then I would encourage him to tell mom he no longer wants sack lunches.

Allowing him to choose between what was provided by his parent and what you are serving when HE decides is NOT something I would ever allow. That is way too much control for a child to have and I feel actually makes the pickiness worse. I could accept the sack lunch but it would have to be one or the other ALL the time and not just those things or days he wants your food.
Tags:business management, lunch, rates
Reply Up