Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Keeping Paperwork
Josiegirl 07:47 AM 02-24-2021
I know this has been discussed before(I've probably even asked it before ) but how long do you have to keep all your old tax paperwork, receipts, etc.? I've been retired 2 yrs. in May but I have folders from way back 20+ yrs. ago. Is there anything from those I need to keep? How long is the ideal time to keep stuff and be safe.
284878 11:57 AM 02-24-2021
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I know this has been discussed before(I've probably even asked it before ) but how long do you have to keep all your old tax paperwork, receipts, etc.? I've been retired 2 yrs. in May but I have folders from way back 20+ yrs. ago. Is there anything from those I need to keep? How long is the ideal time to keep stuff and be safe.
You should message Tom Copeland on this.
Cat Herder 04:01 PM 02-24-2021
All the tax sites say at least 3, but they recommend 7. https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small...i-keep-records

I am like you and have over 20. It does not take up much space, though. One bankers box, half full, so I will probably just keep them all.
Blackcat31 05:00 PM 02-24-2021
Here is an article he wrote several years ago on his site
http://tomcopelandblog.com/what-reco...d-for-how-long
Former Teacher 05:39 PM 02-24-2021
Kinda of off subject-depends on how you look at it

My sweet father once had a HUGE container of papers that were filled with water.

He told me that instead of shredding (and there was ALOT more to shred) he was letting the papers soak. This way if someone wanted the papers, when they would pick them up, it would shred in the person's fingers.

He was such a creative man and I miss him dearly
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 02-25-2021
Thanks for the links!

And FormerTeacher, what a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.
284878 03:51 AM 02-25-2021
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
Kinda of off subject-depends on how you look at it

My sweet father once had a HUGE container of papers that were filled with water.

He told me that instead of shredding (and there was ALOT more to shred) he was letting the papers soak. This way if someone wanted the papers, when they would pick them up, it would shred in the person's fingers.

He was such a creative man and I miss him dearly

Oh my that is so funny. It reminds me of my Grandma ingenious. She would only fill the wash side of the sink with a little bit of water to start. As she washed she would turn the water on to rinse filling the wash side more and keeping the water warm. By the time she got to the grimey pans she had a full sink of hot, fresh water.

She would keep a bucket on the porch to catch rain water or snow to water her plants with. She said it keep the plants healthier.
Tags:paperwork
Reply Up