Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sleeping On The Same Floor...
Crazy8 10:30 AM 09-28-2011
I didn't want to chime in on the california thread as I'm not remotely near there and don't want anyone to think I'm picking on their rule, LOL, but I'm just curious as PARENTS how many really don't put babies to nap in their bedrooms when they are home??

My own kids napped in the pack n' play in the family room when they were real young, like before they were sleeping in their cribs at night but once they started sleeping in their cribs all night I also used their crib for naps and get this... their bedrooms are in the UPSTAIRS of my house. Is that a foreign concept???? Do parents not do that??? Every parent I've ever met has done it and most homes around me are two story.

I wouldn't be in business if I couldn't have babies nap on another floor - I use my own kids bedrooms with baby monitors for sleeping infants, once they are about 18-24m they sleep on mats in the playroom.

So, as parents, not providers, did your children use their bedrooms for naps? Do your daycare parents when home with their children not put them in their rooms for naps????
KEG123 10:37 AM 09-28-2011
Well, as a parent, my son slept in my room for naps and night time until he was 18 months old. And by my room, I also mean my bed. When he was 18 months old we transitioned to the crib, which was also in our room. (Mostly just because of space issues though, we lived in an apartment) which also meant that he was on the same floor as us. Last summer we moved to our house we're in now, and my son is now 3 and sleeps in his own room, upstairs, for naps. Baby moniter of course, since he only naps about half the time.

Now I will admit, what I do is not the norm and likely won't entirely work for when this newbie comes next month. She will sleep in the co-sleeper next to my bed for I assume at least 4-6 months maybe more? It just depends. Her crib is set up in the same room as her big brother, so eventually they'll share a room, just not sure when. As for naps, when she is itty bitty, she will stay downstairs with us, and possibly eventually transition to the crib upstairs, or else stay in a pack n play with us downstairs. I haven't decided. This is going to be the first child I've raised in a daycare environment. I am also more of a "play it by ear" kinda mom in the first place.

I have no idea if I answered your question.
Cat Herder 10:46 AM 09-28-2011
Comparing the responsibilities of being a Parent and those of being a Childcare Provider is like comparing Apples and Unicorns.
Heidi 10:47 AM 09-28-2011
My children (4-ages 10 through 21) all slept in their own beds after the first few weeks, and in the basinet next to my bed until then. I moved the basinet for naps or just left the door open, so I could check easily.

As for dck's, in WI you cannot have more than 2 children under 2 on the 2nd story, for fire safety, mainly. At my current house, we have dc in the walkout basement, and "upstairs" is still ground level. The 3rd story (loft type) bedroom is not used for childcare. It's my 14 yo daugther's room...enough said.

In WI centers, children must be in sight AND sound at all times, even when sleeping. Family Childcare (no more than 8), is sight OR sound.
Crazy8 10:54 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Comparing the responsibilities of being a Parent and those of being a Childcare Provider is like comparing Apples and Unicorns.
ain't that the truth, LOL! I know its a world of difference and there are a MILLION things that you might do as a parent that you can't do as a DCProvider (and that is talking about the GOOD parents, we won't even get into the ones who shouldn't be parents). I'm really just curious about this in particular because its such a big deal in many states regs yet it seems such a "normal" home experience to put a child to sleep in his crib for naps.
Heidi 10:56 AM 09-28-2011
LOL Catherder-I wish there was a "like" button...very funny!
Cat Herder 10:58 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
ain't that the truth, LOL! I know its a world of difference and there are a MILLION things that you might do as a parent that you can't do as a DCProvider (and that is talking about the GOOD parents, we won't even get into the ones who shouldn't be parents). I'm really just curious about this in particular because its such a big deal in many states regs yet it seems such a "normal" home experience to put a child to sleep in his crib for naps.
My theory is that the human race would dissappear if parents were required to meet our regs BEFORE having children... (myself included.)
mom2many 11:14 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My theory is that the human race would dissappear if parents were required to meet our regs BEFORE having children... (myself included.)
So true!!!!
sharlan 12:07 PM 09-28-2011
My 4 yo's bedroom is upstairs. I kept him in the family room for daytime sleeping until he was about 9 mos. Then I would take him upstairs and put him in his crib, but I kept a baby monitor on. My 3 yo doesn't live here, but I kept him downstairs until about the same age, then moved him to a crib in my bedroom, with a baby monitor. Now he sleeps in my bed during the day.
cherryhill 01:34 PM 09-28-2011
Maybe it depends on the County, but I can have the daycare kids sleep upstairs. I have a small license so maybe that is why. My rep tried to discourage it and she scared me, but eventually I had to if I wanted to eat or get anything done.
Crystal 01:47 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
Maybe it depends on the County, but I can have the daycare kids sleep upstairs. I have a small license so maybe that is why. My rep tried to discourage it and she scared me, but eventually I had to if I wanted to eat or get anything done.
Yes, small licensees can use the upstairs. Once you become a large license provider you have to follow the fire marshall regs and they will not allow upstairs care AT ALL FOR ANY AGE. And, even if it is allowed, it doesn't mean it is the wise thing to do. Imagine if there is a fire, you are downstairs and the fire is blocking your access to the children.....what then?
Crystal 02:01 PM 09-28-2011
Ya know, I cannot even imagine putting the preschoolers upstairs to sleep. Inevitably you are going to have a non-napper or an early riser and any number of things could happen. I don't think it is a good idea at all. I see no reason why the children would not sleep downsatirs just the same as upstairs so that you can have your break.
cherryhill 03:29 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Yes, small licensees can use the upstairs. Once you become a large license provider you have to follow the fire marshall regs and they will not allow upstairs care AT ALL FOR ANY AGE. And, even if it is allowed, it doesn't mean it is the wise thing to do. Imagine if there is a fire, you are downstairs and the fire is blocking your access to the children.....what then?
To each His own. I don't get a break. I have an infant with me at all times with the exception of putting the other kids down for nap including my daughter. If there was a fire. If all the kids didn't make it out. I wouldn't make it out.
Crazy8 07:31 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Ya know, I cannot even imagine putting the preschoolers upstairs to sleep. Inevitably you are going to have a non-napper or an early riser and any number of things could happen. I don't think it is a good idea at all. I see no reason why the children would not sleep downsatirs just the same as upstairs so that you can have your break.
I wasn't talking about preschoolers, I think I specifically said at 18-24m they move to mats in the playroom. And the ones who sleep upstairs are in pack n' plays with a monitor on them where I can hear when they roll over or kick their feet. But again, I really wasn't talking from a DCP standpoint.
mismatchedsocks 09:01 AM 09-29-2011
My own kids slept on same floor until they were about 7-8. They both sleep upstairs now. Hard choice as I still want them on same floor, but I have 2 bedrooms on each floor so its not doable.

Daycare kids all sleep on this floor, the upstairs is not licensed for daycare, but cant imagine running up there to get kids ( mine or dck) if there was an emergency. I do have a camera in the daycare room, so i have sight and sound of them at all times, but even with a camera upstairs I dk.
Crystal 11:06 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
I wasn't talking about preschoolers, I think I specifically said at 18-24m they move to mats in the playroom. And the ones who sleep upstairs are in pack n' plays with a monitor on them where I can hear when they roll over or kick their feet. But again, I really wasn't talking from a DCP standpoint.
Sorry. I was replying to cherryhill when I posted that.
Tags:infant - safety, professional, provider responsibility
Reply Up