Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tree Trunks In The Play Yard?
Sunchimes 01:55 PM 03-06-2012
DH and I cut down a giant redbud tree yesterday because it was dying. It was really tall but the trunk wasn't but about 8 or 10" in diameter. Maybe 12", I didn't measure.

It dawned on me today that a length of the trunk (maybe 6' or 8') placed in my play yard might give my little ones (18 months) something to climb on. It isn't tall enough for a big fall but it would be fun. It is curved enough that it would be pretty easy to secure so that it didn't roll. Hubby said no, they would get splinters and scrapes. So, I'm wondering if anyone else would do that or has done it successfully.
Crystal 01:57 PM 03-06-2012
I have 10 large slabs of tree trunk in my back yard and the children LOVE them and play on them every single day. Never had an issue. Sure, the occasional scraped knee, but that can happen anywhere

GO FOR IT!!!!!
Sunchimes 02:01 PM 03-06-2012
These aren't chunks, like a table top, it would be the trunks on their side, like logs. Is that what you have?
Crystal 02:03 PM 03-06-2012
I have those too.

Tell hubby they could get splinters on a wooden fence and scrapes pretty much anywhere.....they'll live
Sunchimes 02:06 PM 03-06-2012
He's more overprotective than I am with these babies. Now I need to talk him into hauling them into the play area for me. Wonder if a chocolate pie would be enough of a bribe...
Ariana 02:19 PM 03-06-2012
I'd pay good money for big tree trunks in my yard!! Right now my yard is flat with grass...booooring!
sharlan 02:19 PM 03-06-2012
I would love to have some tree trunks for the kids to climb on. I've run out of room, though.
Crystal 02:24 PM 03-06-2012
How about varnishing the trunks? That way there won't be splinters?
Soupyszoo 02:47 PM 03-06-2012
I was going to say that too! Maybe sand down the trunks or spots that seem too rough! Sounds like something the kids would love!
Sunchimes 02:58 PM 03-06-2012
Redbuds have a pretty rough bark. I'm thinking it would take me forever to scrape the bark off enough to varnish.
Michael 03:02 PM 03-06-2012
I overly worry about things. As a tree, it is not a liability but as a playing addition I would worry about something happening that could cause injury unless you take the precations that are expected.
Sunchimes 03:06 PM 03-06-2012
I do too Michael, which is why I asked here! I was just out examining them, and they have funny bends that seem to keep them from rolling. I'm pretty sure they are too heavy for my 18 month olds to push over.

I can't do anything with them until Sunday, so I have a few days to ponder this.
Heidi 03:09 PM 03-06-2012
I have one that borders my sandbox, dug into the ground partway to prevent rolling. 4dcb helped me do it...

I want more! I'd love to get the big plastic climber out of here and have only natural landscaping to enjoy...or at least not plastic. I keep hoping I'll come across one of those garden bridges at a yard sale, too...
Country Kids 03:24 PM 03-06-2012
I would love to have something like that!!!! I know with my group though one of them would fall and it the part that was cut and really injury themselves. I could see the insurance company not covering it because it wasn't approved play equipment or something.
VTMom 03:29 PM 03-06-2012
I actually have a tree that fell in our back yard during Tropical Storm Irene (our only casualty). DH is a slacker with taking care of these things, so he cut off the protruding limbs that could jab, and there it lays! After watching the kids go bonkers on it, I've decided to keep it. It's such a great exploring, balancing, play "structure"!

Something I'm thinking about this spring/summer is getting a bunch of sanding blocks and letting the kids go to town themselves! Wouldn't work for 18 mos olds but older kids will love it!
Jenniferdawn 04:34 PM 03-06-2012
I'd love to have tree trunk pieces too. My daughters waldorf kindergarten has a bunch of them the kids sit on, stand on, roll around and use for tables. Great, natural play equipment! I don't think they need varnish. It will take away from the natural appeal. A light sanding on rough part would be enough and a great gift to the children.
Cat Herder 05:30 AM 03-07-2012
I'd not worry too much about the tree trunk....it is the wildlife it invites.

Here CaneBrakes (crotalus horridus), Black Widow and Brown Recluse use them as shelter.

Be sure to do a thorough walk around before allowing kids out each day during the warm season.
SilverSabre25 07:02 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I'd not worry too much about the tree trunk....it is the wildlife it invites.

Here CaneBrakes (crotalus horridus), Black Widow and Brown Recluse use them as shelter.

Be sure to do a thorough walk around before allowing kids out each day during the warm season.
what's a canebrake?
Blackcat31 07:49 AM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
what's a canebrake?
OMG! Google it! I could NEVER deal with that!

According to Google, it is a Timber Rattlesnake. I can deal with the little ones we have here but not ones that big and ones that are poisonous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_horridus
Sunchimes 03:47 PM 03-07-2012
The only snakes I've seen around here are little grass snakes, but I hadn't thought about spiders. Spiders are such sneaky little things. I've never seen a black widow here in town, but I know they must be here and I just haven't seen them. I need to think about this some more. It's suppose to rain all weekend so I don't have to decide for another week.
SilverSabre25 05:27 PM 03-07-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
OMG! Google it! I could NEVER deal with that!

According to Google, it is a Timber Rattlesnake. I can deal with the little ones we have here but not ones that big and ones that are poisonous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotalus_horridus
See...I'm asking because I don't WANT to Google it! I didn't know if it was a bug and if it was I didn't really need 5000 pictures of some creepy insect popping up unexpectedly!

Snakes I can deal with though.

(but, I'm soooo glad that central OH is not native to many nasty buggies or other critters!)
Blackcat31 07:16 AM 03-08-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
See...I'm asking because I don't WANT to Google it! I didn't know if it was a bug and if it was I didn't really need 5000 pictures of some creepy insect popping up unexpectedly!

Snakes I can deal with though.

(but, I'm soooo glad that central OH is not native to many nasty buggies or other critters!)
Have you seen this about the Wolf Spiders that are taking over the town in Australia? It is soooooooo gross do NOT click and look if you are at all squimmish about spiders.....

http://photoblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news...aged-australia

It is the worst thing I have ever seen! I have had the creepy crawlies since I first saw it....
Country Kids 07:31 AM 03-08-2012
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!

Reminds me of a movie from the 70's or 80's with William Shatner. It was a town that was overtaken by spiders and at the end they show the whole town being webbed over!!!!! How freaky that would be if it really happened-.
MrsB 09:09 AM 03-08-2012
Ewwww!

Spiders have never really bothered me but in mass numbers it gives me the e-b-gee-bees!

Reminds me of when my son (about 5) and our neighbor boy spent ALL day collecting spiders in a huge mayo jar. I'm talking over a 200 hundred spiders. After playing together all day they started to get short with each other. I didnt cut in trying to let them work it out on their own. So my son was getting pretty mad so they went to opposite ends of the yard. My son picked up that jar of spiders and dumped it on the neighbor boys head. OH MY GOSH! 200 spiders crawling all down this kids body. It didnt phase the boy much, but I would have flipped my lid!
GretasLittleFriends 09:22 AM 03-08-2012
I saw the picture of the farm scene yesterday, and I thought it was flood waters. When I opened the story and realized it was spider webs I couldn't help but to show my 16yr old dd. She and I both have a respectful dislike of spiders. They have their place in nature, but it needs to be in nature, not in my house. When she realized they were spiders' webs, she was very concerned if this was anywhere near where we live. She was ok with it being in Australia, but I think since seeing that photo she has potentially crossed Australia off her "must see destination" list.

Back to the original post about the tree trunk. I do think it is a great play toy, however, I would be worried about the log decaying. Until that happens, let the kids enjoy Mother Nature's play equipment.
Tags:liability, outside play ideas, play area - outdoor, tree
Reply Up