Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Income Loss Due to Virus
Ac114 05:25 AM 03-13-2020
So now that everyone is in full panic mode due to the virus and schools being closed for the next 3 weeks, I’ve already had my first message of dropping a day of care and possibly more because their hours are being reduced at work.
Another parent will probably also follow suit since there season has been cancelled. That is 2 full time spots.
I’m am starting to panic because of the potential loss wages.
Anyone else dealing with something similar?
MomBoss 05:31 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Ac114:
So now that everyone is in full panic mode due to the virus and schools being closed for the next 3 weeks, I’ve already had my first message of dropping a day of care and possibly more because their hours are being reduced at work.
Another parent will probably also follow suit since there season has been cancelled. That is 2 full time spots.
Ive decided to tell parents that unless im forced to close or grt sick with the virus myself, i will remain open. My contract states payment is not based on attendance and will be due regardless if the child attends or not.
I would not give an option for part time care. If they want their spot to still be available to them when this craziness is over, then they need to pay for their spot or i will find a replacement.
Cat Herder 05:32 AM 03-13-2020
I am so sorry. Maybe it will be easy to fill those slots since so many kids will now have nowhere to go. I'd advertise quickly. Full-time trumps part-time, emotion is simply too expensive.

Right now I am not too worried as each of my clients is in a salaried position minus one whose husband works in an essential services field.

I do screen for this during enrollments, though, as many years in this business has taught me to actively minimize my risks and keep a good emergency fund back-up. We have had so many fast-paced economic downturns, that planning is simply necessary. Just last week, the very last mill in town closed leaving 1,200 more people unemployed.
Cat Herder 05:34 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Ive decided to tell parents that unless im forced to close or grt sick with the virus myself, i will remain open. My contract states payment is not based on attendance and will be due regardless if the child attends or not.
I would not give an option for part time care. If they want their spot to still be available to them when this craziness is over, then they need to pay for their spot or i will find a replacement.
I did the exact same thing.

I also told them that if I was forced to close, I would meet them halfway with 50% tuition. Mortgage and power still need to be paid and that would cover it without dipping into emergency funds.
Valerie928 05:49 AM 03-13-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I did the exact same thing.

I also told them that if I was forced to close, I would meet them halfway with 50% tuition. Mortgage and power still need to be paid and that would cover it without dipping into emergency funds.
I am requiring the same, 50% pay.
Ariana 11:05 AM 03-13-2020
Are you in Canada? Our government is going to be announcing economic help for this type of situation. Not sure when but soon.

If you are in the USA I am sure something will be done.
rosieteddy 06:55 AM 03-14-2020
Why not offer 4 day slot .Take Friday or Monday close and charge a little more for 4 days.At one point I closed Fridays and instead of 250 for five days charged 225 for 4 days.They saved 25 dollars not 50.When asked why I told them that was because I could not fill one day slot.
Annalee 08:25 AM 03-14-2020
I have 12 kids but only 8 families: Only one of these families has a "random"job, the rest are in the medical, education or insurance field so I think I will be OK for now.
Second Home 08:47 AM 03-14-2020
I have 5 families , 4 are teachers and the other one is self isolating (and teleworking). So I will not have any dck for the next two weeks .
I told them that I will do the 2 weeks without pay ( per my teachers contract I don't get paid when school is closed for teachers) and if schools are closed for longer than the two weeks then I will make a decision on payment at that time . Every one of my families will be getting paid during the closing.
MomBoss 12:49 PM 03-14-2020
If i heard Trump correctly, he said companies will be given funding to pay employees who have to stay home? If thats true, then my daycare parents will still be paid therefore i will still expect payment.
Msdunny 11:43 AM 03-15-2020
All 4 of my families have decided to stay home. I am charging half rate, but it is a huge loss. I have been a Shipt shopper in the past, so I am going to do go back to that since I won't have any kiddos here. And am going to also sign up with Instacart. I'm not sure what else I can do.
Cat Herder 04:39 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
If i heard Trump correctly, he said companies will be given funding to pay employees who have to stay home? If thats true, then my daycare parents will still be paid therefore i will still expect payment.
4 of my 5 families texted that they would not lose income due to being able to work remotely so they would not need the discount. The 5th will still be going to work daily as their office only has a few employees and see's no clients in person. All dck's are still coming every day, though. Older siblings will be home with parents, though. (I did say no to that.) We were not asked to close, unlike the school they seem to want us to stay open.

The power, water and internet companies here now cannot cut off services for non-payment for 60 days so there is little to no need to discount, now.
Blackcat31 04:46 PM 03-15-2020
4 of my 5 families texted that they would not lose income due to being able to work remotely so they would not need the discount. The 5th will still be going to work daily as their office only has a few employees and see's no clients in person. All dck's are still coming every day, though. Older siblings will be home with parents, though. (I did say no to that.) We were not asked to close, unlike the school they seem to want us to stay open.

The power, water and internet companies here now cannot cut off services for non-payment for 60 days so there is little to no need to discount, now.
I’m getting the impression that our state feels the same.
We got a message from the governor saying child care is essential to the states work force.

They announced this morning that they plan to close all Minnesota schools K-12 beginning Wed March 18 until March 27 BUT said the schools are required to provide child care services to all elementary kids of parents that are health care professionals and EMT workers so they don’t need to worry about daycare for their K-5th grade children. Older than that and they’re suppose to be old enough to stay home alone.
Cat Herder 04:52 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
said the schools are required to provide child care services to all elementary kids of parents that are health care professionals and EMT workers so they don’t need to worry about daycare for their K-5th grade children. Older than that and they’re suppose to be old enough to stay home alone.
Wow. That's new. Most people forget EMS exists. Here firefighters/police no longer have to run the calls with us, they might get exposed. They won't let us carry firearms to clear scenes or protect ourselves, either. It's awesome.

Usually, each shift covers for the others. 24/48. It runs like an extended family. Pretty cool of Minn.
storybookending 05:21 PM 03-15-2020
There is a fairly large medial complex close to me. They have on site daycare for employees only but they are full. They reached out to the news stations to ask for anyone that it able to take on kids during this time. Even teachers are taking in kids if they can. All schools must be closed by Wednesday at 5PM. The district I live in in closed already and I’ve talked to a few teachers and they don’t even know what is going on as far as distance learning and what is expected of them as teachers. A friend of mine teaches in a district that is a little further out and they are going through Wednesday and they are so much worse off when it comes to distance learning. Charter is actually offering free limited time internet to poorer families so children can keep up with schooling, I assume this is nationwide or at least wherever Charter services. They will still be serving the free breakfast and lunch at the schools but it will be a drive up, take and go service.
Blackcat31 05:22 PM 03-15-2020
Wow. That's new. Most people forget EMS exists. Here firefighters/police no longer have to run the calls with us, they might get exposed. They won't let us carry firearms to clear scenes or protect ourselves, either. It's awesome.

Usually, each shift covers for the others. 24/48. It runs like an extended family. Pretty cool of Minn.

“Gov. Waltz said the executive order still requires schools to provide care for elementary-age children of health care professionals, first responders and other emergency workers during the closure to help ensure first responders and health care professionals can stay on the job.”

https://kstp.com/coronavirus/walz-or...break/5674427/
Ac114 05:28 PM 03-15-2020
Our state is just closed all restaurants and bars and said daycare is next. Everyone is complete panic mode, including myself at this point.
Cat Herder 05:29 PM 03-15-2020
Our state just announced that they will still pay for tuition and lead teachers/assistant salary of the free preschool programs and for subsidy kids if they close. They really seem to want them to close, now.

No help for private licensed providers, though. They wish us the best of luck with our decisions.
Michael 05:53 PM 03-15-2020
Our state is just closed all restaurants and bars and said daycare is next. Everyone is complete panic mode, including myself at this point.
Why would they close daycare? Children don’t seem to be contracting it.
Cat Herder 05:57 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
Why would they close daycare? Children don’t seem to be contracting it.
Because many centers are taking in a lot of school-aged kids. Kids are carriers of this, not necessarily showing severe symptoms.
delferka@gmail.com 08:39 AM 03-16-2020
I'm in the exact same position. Most of my dkp's work in the school system and are getting PAID! I see no reason why they wouldn't continue to pay us. Although they'll expect our doors to open pronto the day that is lifted. Hoping that someone would mention to the other parents that it would be the right thing to do by paying me. I know I would pay!!!!
Tags:coronavirus, covid-19, loss of income, pandemic
Reply Up