Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suction Plate?
Missani 11:44 AM 03-16-2011
Do any of you have a divided plate that suctions to a high chair that you would recommend? I have never used anything like this with my own children, so I don't even know if they work well, but I have seen some in stores.

I have an infant (10 mos.) who is transitioning to much more table food. Right now I just put it on her tray and let her go, but I'm having a hard time remembering how much I've given her. Did she eat any? Did I already give her more fruit? LOL, I know, but lunch gets a bit crazy sometimes. Anyway, I would like to measure a good portion for her, put it on her plate, and try to calculate a "percentage" of what she ate. (Not that it really matters, but this child is "overweight" if a baby can be overweight, and I think she will do better on table food because she just keeps eating and eating the baby food. I would really like to make sure I'm giving her correct and healthy portions, and I think that giving her a "portion" on a plate might start healthy habits.)

So, sorry this got long, but does anyone use a divided plate that suctions to the tray so she cannot tip it over right away? Does it work? Which kind do you use?

Thanks!
krystamichelle 11:53 AM 03-16-2011
I use one, but still wouldn't be able to calculate what my daughter has actually eaten off of it. She still gets plenty of it everywhere but her mouth. Also, the one I use isn't divided. The suction works great, but it slides off of a table. A high chair tray should keep it on because of the lip. It's one of the Gerber ones and comes with a spoon and fork.
SilverSabre25 12:08 PM 03-16-2011
What I would do is put the food on a plate in the portions you want to give her, then put it from the plate to her tray. That way, you can see what she's eaten and how much by what's left on the plate.
Missani 08:27 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
What I would do is put the food on a plate in the portions you want to give her, then put it from the plate to her tray. That way, you can see what she's eaten and how much by what's left on the plate.
That's what I'm doing now. Maybe I'll just keep doing it. I just have a hard time figuring out what's on my plate plus what's on her tray plus what's in the bib/on her face/still clenched in her fists. I thought it might be easier if I gave her the plate, but then she would dump it. (I gave her a container of water to do water play with the other day. Let's just say she has the dumping skill mastered.)
Meeko 05:36 AM 03-17-2011
My youngest daughter is 14 now, but as a baby she loved to tip her food plate or bowl over. One day I found a cute looking suction plate. It was divided into three sections, was very colorful and had a big suction cup on the bottom.

With great joy I purchased the plate and couldn't wait to use it that night at dinner.

I filled the plate with her food and stood back with glee to watch a tidier meal time take place.

(NOTE: She is now 14...an straight A and honor roll student since day one...mainly because she has a determination to succeed at whatever she sets her mind to. Everything is a challenge to be met and conquered with this child.)

The plate was no different.

She looked at me. She looked at the plate.

She grabbed the sides of the plate and with a noise I can only say is probably similar to a constipated sumo wrestler having a bowel movement (graphic I know...) she turned purple with effort as she pulled on the plate. It popped off the table and the plate and the food flew clear across the room.

She thought it was wonderful.

After I had cleaned up the floor and the walls and every person who was in the fall out zone and had stopped laughing.......I threw the bowl away.
Unregistered 04:59 PM 03-17-2011
I have had the exact same thing happen to me with several different kids. I thought I was so smart getting the plate, but they outsmarted me very quickly! :0)
GretasLittleFriends 06:51 PM 03-17-2011
I HAD this nice 3 section divided bowl/plate thing that had a suction cup on the bottom. You were to fill it with warm water to keep the food warm, but not too hot. It had a stopper in it. I used it when my 15 yr old daughter was transitioning from being fed to self-feeding. It worked great.

I used it when my son (who is now 6) was young, again, it worked wonderfully.

I just started using it with my youngest daughter maybe a month ago, so she was about 9 1/2 months. She yanked it up causing the suction to cease, she then proceeded to throw it on the floor. It broke into several pieces sending food and about 3 cups of warm water all over my kitchen floor. It went in the garbage and I haven't even bothered to try the other one I have. Though I had a very easy time cleaning up the food mess.

I just put food directly onto her tray. As my younger dc girl transitions, I'll do the same, just putting the food directly on the tray (after measuring it as I prepare it).
Tags:high chair
Reply Up