Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime - Light Up Alarm Clock To Allow Them To Get Up
SunflowerMama 12:07 PM 06-16-2011
So all my kids are 3+ and nap in our daycare room with the door cracked.

Nap used to be 2+hrs (1p - 3p) and it has been getting shorter and shorter over the last couple of months. Now I'm lucky to get to 2p.

One will wake up and when they get up to come out the opening of the door wakes the rest.

I'm thinking about getting something like this and setting it for 2hrs. It doesn't turn green until it's ok for them to get up and come out.

Does anyone else use one of these? I'm also getting it for my own girls in the morning just to keep them in their room until 7a...they are consistent 6:15am wakers.

http://www.amazon.com/American-Innov...8251172&sr=8-2

Anyone do something similar?

daycare 12:12 PM 06-16-2011
NO I dont have one of those, but now that you posted it I am also thinking about it. I have some kids that are hard sleepers and really need the sleep and then others that don't really nap very long at all.

They know that they are not allowed to leave the napping area without my permission. If they wake up and need to use the bathroom I will let them go and then have then return to the napping area to rest until nap time is over. Some go back to sleep some dont. I have two kids that will wake up others if they are up first, so those ones I will go in and remind them to be quiet and let the others sleep. Sometimes I have them go to a different room to lay and read books until napping time is over.

The clock thing does sound like a great idea. If you get it let me know how it worked out.
Blackcat31 12:45 PM 06-16-2011
I use a kitchen timer and when the bell goes off the kids know it is time (okay) to get up. But that alarm clock is absolutely adorable and is a cool idea!
momma2girls 12:59 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
NO I dont have one of those, but now that you posted it I am also thinking about it. I have some kids that are hard sleepers and really need the sleep and then others that don't really nap very long at all.

They know that they are not allowed to leave the napping area without my permission. If they wake up and need to use the bathroom I will let them go and then have then return to the napping area to rest until nap time is over. Some go back to sleep some dont. I have two kids that will wake up others if they are up first, so those ones I will go in and remind them to be quiet and let the others sleep. Sometimes I have them go to a different room to lay and read books until napping time is over.

The clock thing does sound like a great idea. If you get it let me know how it worked out.
I have always done it this way- you have to train them, even if they get up, they cannot talk, or leave, except if they have to use the restroom. Train them, to where they lay quietly even if they wake up first.
daycare 01:07 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I have always done it this way- you have to train them, even if they get up, they cannot talk, or leave, except if they have to use the restroom. Train them, to where they lay quietly even if they wake up first.
I have tried that, however some of these kids I have here will nap for hours on end and waking them is a nightmare. I have one child that if you wake him he will turn into the devil and the rest of the day will be down hill from there. lol its acutally kind of funny.

I dont really have issues with the kids napping anymore. And I don't mind that some of the kids get up and read after resting for an hour. I don't expect for a 3 year old to stay on a mat for an hour being quiet after waking up. This is when the others get woken up, so i would just rather remove them from the room. Works ok for me....
momma2girls 01:09 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have tried that, however some of these kids I have here will nap for hours on end and waking them is a nightmare. I have one child that if you wake him he will turn into the devil and the rest of the day will be down hill from there. lol its acutally kind of funny.

I dont really have issues with the kids napping anymore. And I don't mind that some of the kids get up and read after resting for an hour. I don't expect for a 3 year old to stay on a mat for an hour being quiet after waking up. This is when the others get woken up, so i would just rather remove them from the room. Works ok for me....
I used to allow them to come out of the living room downstairs and come upstairs, that would wake up one of the others immediately, and by coming upstairs they were never quiet enough, and would instantly wake my own children, some only having 15--30 min. nap
grandmom 01:14 PM 06-16-2011
I'm in the same room with them and just tell them in my NAP TIME voice that it's STILL NAP TIME.

They stay on their nap mats, quietly until the lights are turned on.
MarinaVanessa 01:45 PM 06-17-2011
I don't use anything like that either but I use the alarm on my phone. I set to a quiet alarm that sounds like crickets chirping. Some of them wake up earlier sometimes but most of the time I have the exact opposite problem that you do. Our nap time is 12pm-2pm and most of the time they will continue to sleep past 3pm if you let them ... all of them. The alarm reminds early wakers to stay quiet until they hear it and alerts the rest of the sleepers that nap time is over and it's time to get up when it goes off.
squareone 02:22 PM 06-17-2011
I currently don't have any issues with the daycare kids at naptime but I NEED this for my own kids for the morning!! I am getting this (or at least one like it).
Tags:alarms, naptime
Reply Up