Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Getting Parents To Pick Up!
erinalexmom 04:39 AM 10-23-2011
Ok so I have two families that are very good to me and I really like them and thier children. But I want these kids to have more time at home. family #1)dad could pick child up at 3:15pm but leaves child here until 5:15pm. family #2) mom is a nurse and works 3 12's one week and one 12 the next (on moms work days grandma picks up by 5) but instead she brings the child everyday.

So I am trying to find a way to encourage more time with parents. My hardest 2 kids are the ones who are here the most and I really think its cause they need thier parents.

I have different thoughts. I was going to increase my fees but give a discount to those that pick up b4 4pm OR I was going to say to family #1 if dad picks up early one day a week,dont care which day, I will give you a discount. and offer something similar to family #2 (like keep him home twice a month or something) OR I was going to close an hour early on Fridays. Any thoughts?

I honestly dont care about the $ I was just trying to think of a way to get parents to spend more time with thier kids. So any ideas you have would be great Now I know in the situation of dad #1 he works mowing yards after work but its October. There cant be that much lawn work left!

I have also thought of doing rates based on the # of hours a child is in care. Less than 40hrs one rate over 40hrs a higher rate. over 45 an even higher rate.
Any ideas?
wahmof3 05:43 AM 10-23-2011
I have a similiar situation. Its heartbreaking. Dcd is off 2-3 days per week & dcm gets off early alot, but the baby is here everyday until closing time. I am sure its because they pay a flat rate fee. I have thought about a daily rate w/ a 3 day minimum, but wonder if I am going to stress myself out more bc of dcc schedule.

Not exactly sure what to tell you except youre not the only one with that issue. I am trying not to let it bother me. Its really the parents loss not mine.
Snowflakes 06:32 AM 10-23-2011
I think it's human nature to want to get your "money's worth". As a parent, if I'm paying the full time rate, I'm going to feel that I'm wasting money by only using care pt, even if that is all I need. I bet the parents will use you less if you are willing to prorate your services.
MyAngels 06:33 AM 10-23-2011
You should check out the way Nannyde structures her rates. It would seem to me that the way she does it would give incentive for earlier pick ups.
Ariana 06:33 AM 10-23-2011
They'd definately be motivated by money! You could say that you run an 8 hour day and any hours over that are counted as 'overtime'? Just a thought.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 10-23-2011
Originally Posted by erinalexmom:
Ok so I have two families that are very good to me and I really like them and thier children. But I want these kids to have more time at home. family #1)dad could pick child up at 3:15pm but leaves child here until 5:15pm. family #2) mom is a nurse and works 3 12's one week and one 12 the next (on moms work days grandma picks up by 5) but instead she brings the child everyday.
So I am trying to find a way to encourage more time with parents. My hardest 2 kids are the ones who are here the most and I really think its cause they need thier parents.
I have different thoughts. I was going to increase my fees but give a discount to those that pick up b4 4pm OR I was going to say to family #1 if dad picks up early one day a week,dont care which day, I will give you a discount. and offer something similar to family #2 (like keep him home twice a month or something) OR I was going to close an hour early on Fridays. Any thoughts?
I honestly dont care about the $ I was just trying to think of a way to get parents to spend more time with thier kids. So any ideas you have would be great Now I know in the situation of dad #1 he works mowing yards after work but its October. There cant be that much lawn work left!
I have also thought of doing rates based on the # of hours a child is in care. Less than 40hrs one rate over 40hrs a higher rate. over 45 an even higher rate.
Any ideas?
I don't mean this rude or disrespectfully but, you cannot make a parent want to spend more or less time with their child.

There are so many posts on this forum about this subject that it makes my head spin. We, as providers go round and round with ideas, fee penalties and all sorts of things just to get parents to spend more time with their child.....and for what? Does it really work?

IMHO, if a parent really WANTS to spend time with their child, they will. If they don't, then they aren't going to no matter what rates we charge them or rules and policies we have in place. If you give someone an additional fee or a break in costs to come pick up their child, they will probably do it but there is no guarantee the child is actually given any quality time with their parent. The parent could come pick them up, park them in front of the TV and go back to doing whatever they were doing before.

Not having the child at childcare is no guarantee the parent is actually spending time with them. There are teenage babysitters, other daycares, neighbors, older siblings, the TV, and grandparents that could all be utilized in those times that the daycare provider won't allow the child in her home.

If you really want to make a difference in the parent-child relationship, you could try educating the parent about the importance of quality time with their child. If that isn't something you want to get into doing, then I think your added fees or discounts or any other ideas to force a parent to pick up earlier will be for nothing.
Ariana 12:16 PM 10-24-2011
I do agree with Blackcat and feel it's really none of my business. Cutting down hours definately doesn't mean a parent will be any more interested in their kid. However I think the OP mentioned that this kid is causing a lot of problems in her daycare which is why I made a suggestion for getting them to pick up early.
cheerfuldom 12:19 PM 10-24-2011
have you considered contracted hours? that way there would be a noticeable decrease in fees should the child be picked up early and then your days would be shorter. All my families work the whole time that there child is here so this currently isn't an issue for me. I don't care what parents do with the daycare time though as long as their bill is paid. That is not any of my business.
daycare 12:22 PM 10-24-2011
I have to agree with her here 100%, I had to learn this the hard way..

What we want and what the parents want won't always be the same and we just have to leave our emotions and wants out of it....

If we offer services from 7-7 and a parent wants that service, well then tahts what we do. Honestly, I am with you on it...I wish parents would spend more time with their kids, but that is MY wish, not theirs...

Every person has their reasons why they have their children in care, why they don't pick up right away even though they have the time.... We need not to think about these things and just work. Take care of the kids and do what we have to do to keep them heatlhy happy and safe....
MNmamaOf4 03:09 PM 10-24-2011
wrote in the wrong spot, meant to start a new thread.
Tags:discount, parents - don't want kids, rate increase
Reply Up