Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diaper
Unregistered 11:28 AM 10-18-2013
I have a child who is using cloth diapers. It is going great but the smell of ammonia is really bothering me. It is very strong! Even the diapers that I am currently changing. The wet bag doesn't contain the smell of ammonia or the BMs. So I got a 5 gallon bucket with a snap on lid. It works well until I have to open it then the house smells again. I would like to move the bucket outside but with the way the house is set up I would have to leave the children unattended which I won't/can't do. Any other ideas? Anyone else have this issue with cloth diapers or could something be wrong since the smell is so strong?
TwinKristi 11:32 AM 10-18-2013
If there is a strong ammonia smell that means they're collecting build-up from soaps and such. I would suggest mom do a "stripping" method she can probably find instructions for online which consists of a series of no-soap hot water washes until theres NO bubbles. Then do a good clean wash and perhaps add a few tablespoons of bleach. I used cloth with my 2 youngest (until I started a daycare! LOL) and that didn't happen very often but when it did I usually stripped and it was good for awhile. She may be using too much soap and sometimes a front-loading washer isn't enough water for those diapers and need extra washes/rinses.
Sunshine75 11:35 AM 10-18-2013
Totally understand and had the same problem until I moved the bag into the laundry room which is downstairs right off my playroom. Someone else can jump in here but I think shaking baking soda on the diaper may also help.
melilley 11:38 AM 10-18-2013
I have a child in cloth diapers and I can smell ammonia, but it's not that strong. If the washing method doesn't work, you could always put the diapers in a bag and then in the container.
Lavender 12:57 PM 10-18-2013
I was also going to say that the diapers need to be stripped. I used cloth diapers and never had an ammonia smell. I was extremely careful about how I washed them, however.
Unregistered 01:14 PM 10-18-2013
Great! Thank you!!! I will talk to the mom. Might be a little awkward.
MNMum 01:22 PM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Great! Thank you!!! I will talk to the mom. Might be a little awkward.
She might be less offended if you stress the fact that you know the diapers are "clean" just that there is a buildup of detergent
MotherNature 01:27 PM 10-18-2013
yup-they need stripped. In the meantime, throw some baking soda in there, or some pail freshener. Also, if you have a can liner, sprinkle some essential oil n it to help..maybe tea tree or lavender. Rinsing even the pee dipes helps too.
MotherNature 01:31 PM 10-18-2013
it's all variable, and depends on type of washer, water hardness, and detergent used/how much. Also adding extra rinses helps. took a while to nail down my routine..if yu have hard water, they may not be using enough. with hard water, you hsve to use more detergent. if not, suggest a vinegar rinse.
Michael 01:49 PM 10-18-2013
Try a diaper Genie: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33746
angiescott 02:26 PM 10-18-2013
I have some cloth diapered dck here and I have never had that problem. My parents actually strip theirs quite often, I think every weekend just to make sure this doesn't happen.
LoraJenkins 02:40 PM 10-18-2013
The diapers definitely need to be stripped!!!! I have 2 DCKs here that are in cloth diapers. Only 1 time have I had ammonia issues. I stripped with RNR and changed to Charlies soap. Never had the issue again.
Tags:cloth diapers, diaper genie
Reply Up