Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cloth Diaper Help
Kabob 09:12 AM 02-27-2014
I have a 20 month old dcg that has been in cloth diapers for a while now. I haven't had any issues until recently after dcm had her in disposable diapers for a few weeks. Now suddenly every single day for the past week she leaks and I've had to change her pants with every wet or soiled diaper change. I change her every 2 hours or less regardless of whether she is wet or dry because she has sensitive skin and it is really hard to tell if her diaper is wet. The leaks happen suddenly and it is a problem as it is becoming a sanitary issue...no different than a potty training child having an accident...I usually can catch her as soon as I see it starting to leak but still....she is very busy and I just don't like it happening so often to begin with...

I talked to dcm about it and she tried deep cleaning ("stripping") them, tried removing the ointment she usually uses for dcg, and tried a different style/size of diaper. It is still happening. It happens mainly when she is active (which is often), during a bowel movement (which she has about 3-4 of a day), and during nap time. So dcm sent disposables for today to help with nap time but I'm thinking we'll have to switch completely to disposables again...almost a week of this is waaaay more than I'd give a child in underwear to switch back to diapers...

I want to support dcm in her efforts to use cloth diapers but this isn't working. What else can I suggest for her? If this continues, I'll have to have her switch to disposables which I know she won't like but it isn't fair to have a child constantly wetting her pants on my carpet and couch...it sucks that first thing every morning right after dcm leaves dcg leaks through her pants...not something I want other parents to see either...
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 02-27-2014
Can you have her put plastic pants over the diapers?

Like these

jenboo 09:47 AM 02-27-2014
Sounds like she needs more absorbency. Do you know what type of diapers/inserts she is using and what material?
Also, what diaper cream was she using?
Kabob 11:05 AM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Can you have her put plastic pants over the diapers?

Like these

I'll ask.

Originally Posted by jenboo:
Sounds like she needs more absorbency. Do you know what type of diapers/inserts she is using and what material?
Also, what diaper cream was she using?
I don't know about diaper specifics but I'm also thinking the absorbency issue is a definite problem...could be because she has grown since she last wore these diapers as she was in disposables while we were treating a yeast infection. The diaper cream is home made by dcm.

At least dcm is working with me on this. I checked dcg's daily bag and dcm packed enough disposables that I could've used them all day today...
LeslieG 11:10 AM 02-27-2014
I used to have a dcb in cloth diapers… he went through a period where he leaked a lot too (he was a really heavy wetter). His mom stripped the diapers and added more inserts. At one point his diapers were so packed with inserts that I really wondered how he could move, but that really helped with leaks.
melilley 11:17 AM 02-27-2014
I like bc's idea or like jenboo said, the absorbancy seems to be a factor. They have extra cloth pieces that you can put in cloth diapers. I don't know what kind of cloth diapers your dcg has, but I have a dcb who wears disposables and he has both just cloth (with extra cloth, if that makes sense) and cloth with a waterproof outer lining.

Her mom could also buy cotton pants and put lanolin on the insides of them. That also acts as a wetness barrier....just some suggestions..
MotherNature 11:24 AM 02-27-2014
There could be a gap in the legs or an area by the belly where moisture is wicking. Curious what kind they're using. Another reason could be that the diaper is actively repelling water. You say she stripped them, but that ointment may not be cd safe. put a drop of water on the inside of the diaper and/or any inserts, and if it soaks in, cool. If it beads up-repelling is the issue, and she needs a heavy duty stripping.
Kabob 11:59 AM 02-27-2014
The diapers are secured with snaps and are contoured. Usually either the gogreen brand or bum genius brand. They have a pocket for the insert but not sure what the insert is made of. Dcm tried using a liner when she used the ointment but that didn't work. She said she would strip the diapers again since she was also saying there may be a residue from the ointment still but if she keeps using it at home then that could be the issue. Dcg has super sensitive skin so if she doesn't get the ointment she gets a rash even if I change her extremely frequently (although dcd admits he's not that great at catching poops quick enough). That's also why she was in disposables for a while since we were using the medicated ointment and other ointments as prescribed by dcg's dermatologist.
jenboo 12:19 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
There could be a gap in the legs or an area by the belly where moisture is wicking. Curious what kind they're using. Another reason could be that the diaper is actively repelling water. You say she stripped them, but that ointment may not be cd safe. put a drop of water on the inside of the diaper and/or any inserts, and if it soaks in, cool. If it beads up-repelling is the issue, and she needs a heavy duty stripping.
you might have to apply a tiny bit of pressure for some diaper fabrics to absorb the water but if it runs right off, there is probably a greasy residue from the diaper cream.
2grls4us 01:00 PM 02-27-2014
I've been having the same problem with a dcb (11 mos). They use different brands of diapers and she has tried putting double padding in them. Poor little guy can hardly walk they are so bulky. I sometimes think he has an extra hose in there somewhere. Usually he leaks out of the legs but I have tried making sure I get the diaper around the crease of his legs. At one point he had a rash and skin issues and the doctor suggested going to disposable during that time. I never had any of those leak. At this point I have even been putting one of my daughters disposables on him for nap just to keep from him soiling the pnp. Dcm has been trying to help but wants to stick to the cloth. She said at home they let him run around in nothing but a diaper and a shirt and they don't notice him leaking. She said she just changes him often at home. I've noticed he's leaked through with an hour between changes. We do not use any creams on him at all so that's not the issue.
TwinKristi 01:05 PM 02-27-2014
I used CDs with one of my babies exclusively and one for the first year until it became too much with DC & laundry. Anyway, sounds like she has repelling issues. Has she accidentally used dryer sheets or fabric softener? Otherwise I would have to agree it sounds like the ointment has built up and is causing repelling issues or she's reached a "super soaker" phase where she needs more absorbable diapers. She may want to invest in some basic prefolds (you can double up on these for absorbency) with wool covers, fleece liners for ointment & poopies and just prompt changes. I found this to be the easiest solution and system.
Kabob 03:32 PM 02-27-2014
Well I talked to dcm at pick up and she decided that she is going to just send disposables tomorrow and strip the cloth diapers in the meantime. Then she plans to test drive a few options at home and if she finds one that keeps dcg dry at home for a couple weeks straight then we'll try the cloth diapers here again. I did offer the suggestions you guys mentioned and she said she'll give it a shot.

Dcg does have a lot of large (but solid) bowel movements so she thinks that doesn't help. Her pediatrician said it's normal but dcm said either they cause blow-outs in the disposables (this I've seen) or leakages in cloth diapers so she's been experimenting a lot with diapers...no idea what else to suggest for that.
Tags:cloth diaper policies, cloth diapers
Reply Up