Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting Issue/Term?
Littlelearnersdaycare 09:09 AM 10-15-2014
My sister has a daycare in her home as well. She is not on this forum so I told her i would address her issue on here and get advice.

She has a DCK that has been a biter since she was less than a year old, and is now almost 3 and STILL biting. She has talked to the DCM many many times and she admits that she does it at home to her siblings as well. This child started biting the other daycare kids when she was young, but now only does it to one child, who happens to be my sisters own. The DCK bites really hard and breaks skin almost every single time. This happens at least twice a week...

She doesn't know if terminating them is reasonable.. and she's struggling with confronting the mom again and again now since it is only my sisters child who is being bit. She is having a really tough time with it because she has been caring for this DCK for almost 3 years now.

What do you guys think? I know a lot of children go through a "biting stage" but for this long?
Leigh 09:34 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Littlelearnersdaycare:
My sister has a daycare in her home as well. She is not on this forum so I told her i would address her issue on here and get advice.

She has a DCK that has been a biter since she was less than a year old, and is now almost 3 and STILL biting. She has talked to the DCM many many times and she admits that she does it at home to her siblings as well. This child started biting the other daycare kids when she was young, but now only does it to one child, who happens to be my sisters own. The DCK bites really hard and breaks skin almost every single time. This happens at least twice a week...

She doesn't know if terminating them is reasonable.. and she's struggling with confronting the mom again and again now since it is only my sisters child who is being bit. She is having a really tough time with it because she has been caring for this DCK for almost 3 years now.

What do you guys think? I know a lot of children go through a "biting stage" but for this long?
Of course terminating is reasonable! 2 years of biting is TOO LONG. I don't term biters without trying to work with them and giving them a chance, but I would be handing them term notice today, were I your sister.
TickleMonster 09:55 AM 10-15-2014
Honestly she should have termed a long time ago. Its not fair for any child to live in fear of being bit by another. And the breaking skin? Thats just not acceptable. I realise every child goes through a biting phase but for me, it must be immediately nipped in the bud or I term right away. Safety first!
Shell 10:11 AM 10-15-2014
Agree with pp. There's no reason your sister's child should have to be a victim to this child just ever! Just because it is her daycare, and her child does not make this ok!!! Poor baby, being bitten twice a week. I wouldn't hesitate to let this child go- and it wouldn't agree to work with them once dcm realizes she is going to be termed, and tries to "fix" things. Tell her to show them the door!
TheGoodLife 11:53 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by Shell:
Agree with pp. There's no reason your sister's child should have to be a victim to this child just ever! Just because it is her daycare, and her child does not make this ok!!! Poor baby, being bitten twice a week. I wouldn't hesitate to let this child go- and it wouldn't agree to work with them once dcm realizes she is going to be termed, and tries to "fix" things. Tell her to show them the door!
I'd term ASAP as well.
Littlelearnersdaycare 12:25 PM 10-15-2014
Thank you everyone for all the input! I agree this child should be removed from her daycare.
daycarediva 04:58 PM 10-15-2014
She's essentially allowing her child to be assaulted. Bites HURT.

If she cannot shadow/separate the two completely and ENSURE he won't be bitten, it's time she let them go.
NightOwl 06:02 PM 10-15-2014
I'm an advocate for waiting to term a biter because I know it's normally a phase that only lasts for a short period. This is NOT a short period. The child is getting some sort of pay off from biting. But at this point, it really doesn't matter. He/she needs to be gone immediately. It doesn't matter that it is her own child being bitten. That's confidential info anyway. A child being bitten is a child being bitten, regardless of who the mother is.
Kabob 07:05 PM 10-15-2014
Dcm knows it's an issue but nothing changed for the better.

Dck bites consistently and frequently.

Dck breaks the skin.

Dck is now old enough to know this hurts and that it is wrong.

This has been going on for about a couple years now.

From what I've gathered, this is not working for anyone. The physical and emotional damage this child is doing is not healthy...drawing blood is a huge problem.

What would the provider do if it was another parent's child that was the sole target? I bet they would've had to term or else lose that parent's child too...no parent wants to see their kid with bloody bite marks every week...
JenNJ 08:09 AM 10-16-2014
Her child deserves to be safe and comfortable and happy in her own home. Living in a house where someone was hurting me on a daily basis would be very upsetting for me as an adult. I cannot imagine how a child must feel with Mommy letting in this mean bully everyday while he is assaulted.

I would have termed her YEARS ago. Seriously.

By her failing to term this client, she is telling her own child that is ok for others to hurt her. She is her child's protector and only voice. She needs to stand up for her child. Period.
Reply Up