Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Post! Nap Gear Advice?
SnowGirl 01:42 PM 01-08-2016
Hello! First of all, I've been a lurker on these forums for a long time - just looking to your posts for advice on various issues I've had over the past year and a half.

I'm not a licensed home provider yet. My state allows me to care for one other family aside from my own without a license, and as I'm expecting baby #2 in April, I'm just caring for one other family (dcg 2 years old, and dcg 6 months old) in the neighborhood. We plan on moving to a bigger home and me getting licensed in the next couple of years!

Anyway, my DD is almost 2, and my dcg turned 2 in August. Both nap in pnp or crib, but I'm thinking of transitioning dcg to a mat. I don't have the materials to do that yet, and was wondering what you all love? State regs require at least 2" padding on the mat, but otherwise it's up to me. I've seen awesome padded sleeping bags with pillows built in that look so much nicer than the cots...but I don't know what's practical for daycare. So I turn to you! What supplies do you have? I would love something nice for the kids but also would not complain if it were affordable!

Looking forward to being more "active" in these forums! And thank you for all of your help so far (even if you didn't realize you were helping me )
Josiegirl 02:02 PM 01-08-2016
I agree sleeping bags look cozier but I use cots, only because they're easier to clean when accidents occur(such as diapers that soaked through or a pull-up was forgotten for naptime). I used to use the fold-up mats but they didn't always last that long plus the dcks didn't seem to stay on them as well as the cots. Then they went up in price so much that cots weren't that much more.

Welcome to the forums!!!
LysesKids 02:24 PM 01-08-2016
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
Hello! First of all, I've been a lurker on these forums for a long time - just looking to your posts for advice on various issues I've had over the past year and a half.

I'm not a licensed home provider yet. My state allows me to care for one other family aside from my own without a license, and as I'm expecting baby #2 in April, I'm just caring for one other family (dcg 2 years old, and dcg 6 months old) in the neighborhood. We plan on moving to a bigger home and me getting licensed in the next couple of years!

Anyway, my DD is almost 2, and my dcg turned 2 in August. Both nap in pnp or crib, but I'm thinking of transitioning dcg to a mat. I don't have the materials to do that yet, and was wondering what you all love? State regs require at least 2" padding on the mat, but otherwise it's up to me. I've seen awesome padded sleeping bags with pillows built in that look so much nicer than the cots...but I don't know what's practical for daycare. So I turn to you! What supplies do you have? I would love something nice for the kids but also would not complain if it were affordable!

Looking forward to being more "active" in these forums! And thank you for all of your help so far (even if you didn't realize you were helping me )
I use 3" toddler mattresses (either plastic covered or the organic with a vinyl underpad); Similar to Montessori floor beds only without the wood bed case lol. All my babes transition starting by 12 months and I have 2 sheets for each one in case of needing to wash due to an accident... only happened once in 2 years now. I have only 4 babes because I'm an infant only home (1-18 months or so)
SnowGirl 07:19 PM 01-08-2016
Thank you for the tips! I found the regalo cots on Amazon and I think I'll try them out as I know the company is pretty reputable.

And wow, I didn't realize that transitioning to cot/mat at 1 year was when it was done! Do you reckon I'll run into some shenanigans with my 2 1/2 year old? I've been wondering how the transition would go...
Jazzii 10:30 AM 01-09-2016
We just use mats, plastic ones that fold in 3. They're very easy to clean in the even of accidents. We fold them up and tuck them under the cribs when not in use. The students do not provide sheets but only a blanket and the end of each nap time we spray them down.
Unregistered 02:48 AM 01-11-2016
I just use crib mattresses that I have gotten used from various family and friends. I put a crib sheet on them and we are good to go. They are light weight enough for me to pick up and stack standing up in my one closet.
Play Care 02:55 AM 01-11-2016
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
Thank you for the tips! I found the regalo cots on Amazon and I think I'll try them out as I know the company is pretty reputable.

And wow, I didn't realize that transitioning to cot/mat at 1 year was when it was done! Do you reckon I'll run into some shenanigans with my 2 1/2 year old? I've been wondering how the transition would go...
This is very individual. Some states have regs about transitioning by certain ages. Thankfully mine does not, and I use my discretion as to when I move kids to mats. I've moved some kids by 2 and others not until closer to 3. I find if I wait until kids seem ready the transition is easy and I'm not spending nap time sitting by kids making sure they stay put.
SnowGirl 02:21 PM 01-13-2016
That's good advice (to wait until they're ready). I THINK dcg is ready...I'll find out next week, I guess!
Leigh 07:16 AM 01-14-2016
I use cots, but not the Regalo. I use the ones that don't fold down. They're more durable and easier to clean (and the kids seem to like them better, too). http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
SnowGirl 07:20 AM 01-14-2016
I saw those, too. Luckily the Regalo is only $25, so if I don't like it I can change to something else. I'll keep these in mind, thank you!
Tags:cots, regalo
Reply Up