Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Using Game with DCKs?
DaveA 10:36 AM 12-15-2016
Every year DW & I trade with one of her coworkers for a couple deer (I love venison but don't have time to hunt right now.) As I was picking the first one up from processors the owner (who knows what I do) asked if I use it in the daycare. When I said of course he said I might want to double check on that one being legal. I never thought about it. I mean it's professionally processed and I mainly use the breakfast sausage and plain ground meat in lunch recipies. Does anybody else use game meat in daycare? I'm not worried about DCPs- all but one of my families hunt and that one doesn't care. I just never thought about if it was ok with regs.
daycarediva 10:57 AM 12-15-2016
I am not allowed to use any game meats, any home canned foods or any home grown eggs per my food program.
Blackcat31 11:23 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by DaveA:
Every year DW & I trade with one of her coworkers for a couple deer (I love venison but don't have time to hunt right now.) As I was picking the first one up from processors the owner (who knows what I do) asked if I use it in the daycare. When I said of course he said I might want to double check on that one being legal. I never thought about it. I mean it's professionally processed and I mainly use the breakfast sausage and plain ground meat in lunch recipies. Does anybody else use game meat in daycare? I'm not worried about DCPs- all but one of my families hunt and that one doesn't care. I just never thought about if it was ok with regs.
"All “game” meat must be purchased from a USDA inspected establishment. Wild game is not allowed to be used in FNS Child Nutrition Programs."

http://www.fns.usda.gov/sites/defaul...Alternates.pdf
DaveA 11:28 AM 12-15-2016
I'm not on the food program, so I wouldn't have to worry about that. It just surprised me that something coming from an inspected processor could be a problem. And no home grown eggs?
Controlled Chaos 12:13 PM 12-15-2016
I would totally feed them game meat! When I realized I couldn't as I am on the food program I was super bummed. I have a freezer of moose hamburger. I know here we also can't feed the dcks egss from chickens we own, or from farmer markets. ??? We are encouraged to go to all these training about fresh, local foods, but then can't use them? I get the concern some have with safety, but I swear you are just as likely to get food poisoning or have a contamination issue with buying animal products at a big grocery store. Its just harder to trace the source of the contamination there.
mommiebookworm 12:18 PM 12-15-2016
I'm trying to get on the food program. My rep said wild game was not allowed, but my home grown eggs are ok!
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I would totally feed them game meat! When I realized I couldn't as I am on the food program I was super bummed. I have a freezer of moose hamburger. I know here we also can't feed the dcks egss from chickens we own, or from farmer markets. ??? We are encouraged to go to all these training about fresh, local foods, but then can't use them? I get the concern some have with safety, but I swear you are just as likely to get food poisoning or have a contamination issue with buying animal products at a big grocery store. Its just harder to trace the source of the contamination there.
Do NOT, I repeat do NOT tell NannyDe you have moose meat. If she gets wind of this, she will be on your doorstep........

As far as wild game goes, it is NOT credible on the food program but that does not mean you can't serve it. You just can't claim it as a credible meat source.

Its no different that candy or treats served during holiday parties or whatever occasions we served/dole out treats... we CAN serve them, just can't be reimbursed for them via the food program.
jenboo 12:58 PM 12-15-2016
This is straight from my city's licensing "serve pasturized milk and juice only. No home canned foods, except jams and jellies. No wild game, USDA approved meat only. "
daycarediva 11:15 AM 12-16-2016
Yup! I plan to serve them the eggs from our chickens at breakfast, since we can't be credited for the protein at breakfast anyway.
Pestle 12:31 PM 12-16-2016
Licensing in TN says:

"All food shall be from sources approved or considered satisfactory. The use of hermetically sealed containers (home canned food) is prohibited."

They didn't specifically address game, but I doubt it'd be permitted due to the potential for parasites.
Controlled Chaos 03:24 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Yup! I plan to serve them the eggs from our chickens at breakfast, since we can't be credited for the protein at breakfast anyway.
Good plan. I hate that protein doesn't count for breakfast. Back ?! Eggs?! Yogurt?! No I must be crazy - throw a handful of cheerios and 2/3 a banana at them and it is perfect
Baby Beluga 04:18 PM 12-16-2016
Good plan. I hate that protein doesn't count for breakfast. Back ?! Eggs?! Yogurt?! No I must be crazy - throw a handful of cheerios and 2/3 a banana at them and it is perfect
I've always wondered about this. I am not on the food program, but the program here requires milk to be served at breakfast. I wonder if they feel the protein in milk is enough and that's why an additional source of protein is not required.
Blackcat31 07:04 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I've always wondered about this. I am not on the food program, but the program here requires milk to be served at breakfast. I wonder if they feel the protein in milk is enough and that's why an additional source of protein is not required.
The new FP rules beginning in 2017 allow meat/meat substitutes to be served in place of the entire grains requirement a maximum of 3 times a week.

http://usa.childcareaware.org/2016/0...-food-program/
jenboo 06:03 PM 12-17-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The new FP rules beginning in 2017 allow meat/meat substitutes to be served in place of the entire grains requirement a maximum of 3 times a week.

http://usa.childcareaware.org/2016/0...-food-program/
I cannot wait! I think it's crazy you can't claim meat at breakfast.
Reply Up