Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I don't make my problems your problem vent
Unregistered 10:35 PM 09-30-2016
I had this one sahm drop off her daughter and tell me she will try to make it to pick her daughter up on time before I close. She's been late to pick up a couple times before and I charged her my $1 per minute late fee but here's the thing I don't want the extra money I want to get off on time so I can spend time with my own kids. Here's a little back story she puts her daughter down to sleep really late at night so she doesn't wake up until after 12pm. She makes her appointments late in the afternoon to accommodate her daughters sleeping schedule. Her explaining to me why she thinks I should stay open late because of her daughters sleeping scheduled really ticked me off. I told her I'm not going to sacrifice what little time I have to spend with my kids in the evening because I put them down to sleep at a decent hour because of her daughters sleeping schedule. Either she picks up on time or finds another daycare provider. She picked up on time but the entitlement really ticked me off! Do any of you run into this type of attitude a lot?
Josiegirl 03:20 AM 10-01-2016
Wth is she going to do when her dd starts school? You would think she'd be getting prepared for the real world.

I'm lucky that I don't have any families like that. In fact, my dcm that recently had a baby, told me she was trying to get her baby on some kind of a schedule for me. The baby isn't even 3 weeks old. But I surely appreciate her attempts!
lovemydaycare0912 05:06 AM 10-01-2016
Wow that's crazy. I've seen people on here do a 3 strikes and you're out rule. After the 3rd late pick up, they are termed. Maybe this could help you.
Rockgirl 07:25 AM 10-01-2016
There are providers who increase the late fees for each late pickup. If $1/min isn't enough to deter her, increase it each time. Then after 3 times, that's it, as mentioned above.

If a dcp told me they would "try" to be here to pickup by closing time......nope.
Play Care 03:19 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
There are providers who increase the late fees for each late pickup. If $1/min isn't enough to deter her, increase it each time. Then after 3 times, that's it, as mentioned above.

If a dcp told me they would "try" to be here to pickup by closing time......nope.

"DCM, it seems my Day Care isn't a good fit for your family. You need a child care with later hours, and I can't offer that. My last day of care will be _____. Any late pick ups during the next two weeks will result in an immediate end to your child care."
Mad_Pistachio 10:13 AM 10-03-2016
our daycare has a late fee of $1 an hour, but it is not so that anyone can abuse it, it is for emergencies. if I am perpetually late for pickup, even though I pay for extra minutes, that would be a reason to terminate.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:42 AM 10-03-2016
You know I am sure we all run into this type of client at least every now and then.

Something that has worked for me over the past few years is to explain to parents that I am licensed for certain hours of the day. What that means is that just like other state agencies like the DMV, courts, etc. I have a set time to open and a set time to close. It says so right on my license. So even if I wanted to extend my hours, it's not even legal for me to do so. In California, I could be subject to a citation and fined.

If that doesn't work, I let them know that if they are late X amount of times they could be subject to termination. I usually say it nicely like "exclusion from the program" (tee-hee-hee).

Hope that helps!
Unregistered 01:15 PM 10-03-2016
I told her that anything past my closing time was non negotiable and if she picked up late she would need to find a new daycare. I just couldn't believe she expected me to extend my daycare hours because she doesn't put her dck to sleep at a decent time. Being stuck in traffic is one thing but to accommodate a sleep schedule ¥#*£ NO.
daycare 03:16 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I told her that anything past my closing time was non negotiable and if she picked up late she would need to find a new daycare. I just couldn't believe she expected me to extend my daycare hours because she doesn't put her dck to sleep at a decent time. Being stuck in traffic is one thing but to accommodate a sleep schedule ¥#*£ NO.
lol.. get it alll out.....

some people never seem to amaze me. I have had some interesting parents over the years.

I once had a parent call me on a saturday to inform me that I am not doing a good job with her child because the child was acting up all weekend, ruined their saturday afternoon outing and that I needed to get a grip on my daycare. Yeah, this from the dcm who i saw 2 times in about a 2 year time frame because she was always too busy for her kid.

and yes I did term for that....
Unregistered 03:57 PM 10-03-2016
😂 omg I would've started laughing in her face assuming she was joking!
daycare 04:31 PM 10-03-2016
😂 omg I would've started laughing in her face assuming she was joking!
I was dead silent, becuase I was waiting to see if she was joking or not.... yeah she wasn't...

I laugh about it now, because back in the day I was not skilled on how to pick the right families.
AmyKidsCo 05:09 PM 10-03-2016
I had this one sahm drop off her daughter and tell me she will try to make it to pick her daughter up on time before I close. She's been late to pick up a couple times before and I charged her my $1 per minute late fee but here's the thing I don't want the extra money I want to get off on time so I can spend time with my own kids. Here's a little back story she puts her daughter down to sleep really late at night so she doesn't wake up until after 12pm. She makes her appointments late in the afternoon to accommodate her daughters sleeping schedule. Her explaining to me why she thinks I should stay open late because of her daughters sleeping scheduled really ticked me off. I told her I'm not going to sacrifice what little time I have to spend with my kids in the evening because I put them down to sleep at a decent hour because of her daughters sleeping schedule. Either she picks up on time or finds another daycare provider. She picked up on time but the entitlement really ticked me off! Do any of you run into this type of attitude a lot?
Her reasons for being late may annoy you, but they're not the issue. The issue is that she's late and you don't like it.

The way I see it, you've got 2 options:
1. Charge her enough that you're OK with getting the extra money instead of spending time with your own kids.
2. Tell her that if she's late again you'll terminate care. Then follow through.
Unregistered 07:45 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I was dead silent, becuase I was waiting to see if she was joking or not.... yeah she wasn't...

I laugh about it now, because back in the day I was not skilled on how to pick the right families.
Lol well I think that dcm had mines beat lol
Ariana 12:07 PM 10-04-2016
I have a late policy and I do charge late fees but my policy states that if you are late 3x it is grounds for immediate termination. No amount of money is worth it to me.

Daycare that mom is cray cray
Reply Up