Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Incentives for Reading Parent Handbook?
Max 07:49 AM 12-15-2016
Do you offer any incentives for parents if they read your entire Parent Handbook? If so, how do you 'test' for it?

I've heard some providers putting coupons on monthly newsletters and they rarely get seen/redeemed.

Now, hear me out - I totally understand that parents shouldn't have to be treated like kids and offered rewards for doing what they should be doing anyways (even though society does this to adults all the time and it can be quite effective ). It's their responsibility to read my handbook regardless. I understand the argument for not needing to do this at all

This is something I'm just curious about doing for myself for several reasons. My handbook is lengthy, I have a knack for spelling things out in crazy detail, and I'm not even done yet. I'm expecting parents to read the whole thing before an interview, and it will take some time, so offering $30 off a week of care or something like that seems worth it to me. Most parents probably won't even do it but it could help weed out or reaffirm which parents may be a great fit. It could save some of my time and sanity by not having to email or post policy reminders as often.

Problem is... how do I 'test' to see if they read it all? I thought about including a weird symbol throughout my handbook and making it a non-searchable PDF (then having parents send an email listing where all the symbols are - making it more of a game instead of a test) but there are some downsides to that option (lower image quality, potential to convert it back to a searchable PDF).

I could do a quiz at interview time but that feels weird... lol. Or maybe it wouldn't be?
LysesKids 07:59 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Max:
Do you offer any incentives for parents if they read your entire Parent Handbook? If so, how do you 'test' for it?

I've heard some providers putting coupons on monthly newsletters and they rarely get seen/redeemed.

Now, hear me out - I totally understand that parents shouldn't have to be treated like kids and offered rewards for doing what they should be doing anyways (even though society does this to adults all the time and it can be quite effective ). It's their responsibility to read my handbook regardless. I understand the argument for not needing to do this at all

This is something I'm just curious about doing for myself for several reasons. My handbook is lengthy, I have a knack for spelling things out in crazy detail, and I'm not even done yet. I'm expecting parents to read the whole thing before an interview, and it will take some time, so offering $30 off a week of care or something like that seems worth it to me. Most parents probably won't even do it but it could help weed out or reaffirm which parents may be a great fit. It could save some of my time and sanity by not having to email or post policy reminders as often.

Problem is... how do I 'test' to see if they read it all? I thought about including a weird symbol throughout my handbook and making it a non-searchable PDF (then having parents send an email listing where all the symbols are - making it more of a game instead of a test) but there are some downsides to that option (lower image quality, potential to convert it back to a searchable PDF).

I could do a quiz at interview time but that feels weird... lol. Or maybe it wouldn't be?
They don't read contracts either... I know most my families read the policies online because they question one or two each & every time I interview, but the contract - not so much

I actually have a sentence in my contract stating if a parent shows me the particular sentence that states the discount at the time they sign, I deduct $10 right then & there from first fee... haven't done it yet because the last 2 people didn't ask/show me the statement.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 12-15-2016
Here are several tips/suggestions and ideas I've used in the past quoted from an older thread:

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have those same statements at the end of the handbook and require parents to initial the statements. I also have the following (which they must also initial)

"Failure to read the handbook does not give me permission to violate policies or be free from the consequences of violating policies" _______

That line has saved me a ton of times. Especially when parents say "Well, I didn't know" or "I must have missed that part" or anything similar.
Another great tactic for getting parents to read your handbook is to hide a "discount phrase" somewhere randomly in your pages.

I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.

Surprisingly only 1 parent in the last year did not find the word and take advantage of the discount.
I don't print off ANY paperwork for clients. I send everything via pdf files in an e-mail. They can print out what they need or just keep it on their devices.

I had a mom once a few years ago (I posted about her) that would question my policies DAILY!

It got really old really fast.... so one day I once again was "refreshing" her memory as to what my handbook said and she could tell I was a bit miffed so she replied "Well, it's not like I keep a copy of your policies in my purse" (really snarky)

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.

She was not amused.

But myself and the parent who happened to catch the morning conversation exchange as well as the gifting of my teeny tiny purse sized handbook, pretty much laughed until we cried after the DCM left.

Max 08:21 AM 12-15-2016
I add something like "the discount word is 'toddlers'. Tell me this word and what page you found it on and you will receive a $10 discount on your next invoice. This discount is valid for the first 30 days of services."

I hide the phrase in different spots, use a different amount for a discount and use a different word each time. That way another family can't tell a new family where the secret discount is hidden.
Are the parents able to search the document (even if a PDF) for the discount word?

So me, being me I took my handbook (all 35 pages) and printed it off in a teeny tiny purse sized booklet and gave it to her at pick up.

Blackcat31 08:47 AM 12-15-2016
Are the parents able to search the document (even if a PDF) for the discount word?
Do you mean via a search app or Google function?

If so, I suppose they definitely could but they'd have to know the secret word ahead of time.

I use a different word and/or phrase each time so they don't know what they are looking for. When they find it, they realize what it is, but its random and never the same thing twice.
laundrymom 08:59 AM 12-15-2016
BC. I may have just wee'ed in my pants.
Blackcat31 09:17 AM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
BC. I may have just wee'ed in my pants.

Back into Pull-ups you go!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:38 AM 12-15-2016
As I started reading my thread this was my FIRST thought. I am continuously amazed on this forum at discussions where I initially go "Really, this is a question"... then lots of people respond back with actual experience and I have to change my thought process to "Really?! This is something that is a possible actual issue."

Also, as pro procrastinator and document scanner for just the info I want, symbols would stick out like a sore thumb, a code word would blend in better.

And $30 off a week?! Ouch! Maybe a certificate for the local ice cream parlor, or a gift card for coffee or McDonald's. Something like that is a one time expense (you could keep a couple on hand) and they're getting something tangible. Tangible always seems to motivate.
DaycareDays126 09:44 AM 12-15-2016
I don't tell the parents that it is there, but I put at the end of a random sentence "if you have read this far, email me at daycaredays one two three at yahoo dot com for twenty five dollars off your next payment". I spell everything out so they will only see it if they are actually reading. Since starting this almost a year ago, one person out of 6 found it lol
laundrymom 10:22 AM 12-15-2016

Back into Pull-ups you go!
Rofl!!!
Meeko 12:50 PM 12-15-2016
Don't know about incentives, but I have been tempted to add something insane in the middle of the handbook...

"Every Friday at pick-up clients are to strip naked and run around their car three times with a feather up their nose while singing The Wheels on the Bus. Then payment checks must be presented to the provider in a yellow envelope while standing on one leg"

I will for sure get it back with the bottom signed "I have read and understand the policies of the daycare and agree to follow such policies"
midaycare 01:00 PM 12-15-2016
I read it with them...solved the problems. Most anyway.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:07 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Don't know about incentives, but I have been tempted to add something insane in the middle of the handbook...

"Every Friday at pick-up clients are to strip naked and run around their car three times with a feather up their nose while singing The Wheels on the Bus. Then payment checks must be presented to the provider in a yellow envelope while standing on one leg"

I will for sure get it back with the bottom signed "I have read and understand the policies of the daycare and agree to follow such policies"
I don't remember the website, but a few years ago I came across one who's Terms and Conditions basically stated you would give them your first born. It was a humor site, and was being obviously funny, but... it was in there, and millions of people had agreed to it.
jenboo 03:26 PM 12-15-2016
Families get one week vacation at half price per calendar year..... i never tell them about it...it's only in my handbook. It's only been used twice.
midaycare 05:55 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Families get one week vacation at half price per calendar year..... i never tell them about it...it's only in my handbook. It's only been used twice.
That's bloody brilliant
AmyKidsCo 06:22 PM 12-15-2016
Nope. It's not my job to make the parents read the handbook. I know my policies and uphold them - it's their problem (literally) if they don't read it.

Although I'm stealing Blackcat's "Failure to read the handbook..." idea.
Pandaluver21 01:23 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Meeko:

Not on the handbook, but I used to do things like this on the daily reports (with a mom I loved, but she wasn't always on top of things :P )
I did one that said "Please remember to bring me a purple mini van tomorrow" Or "Had dog food and pasta for lunch" Or "had 15 time outs for climbing on the roof" She never said a word about any of them lol
Jazzii 09:12 PM 12-16-2016
Don't offer incentives. We have a parent meeting at the beginning of the school year , parents sign off on having received the book and when they question something (late fees usually) it's all there and on them. Another common complaint, if you pull your child you have 7 days to collect their belongings , otherwise they are property of the daycare
LysesKids 09:28 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by Jazzii:
Don't offer incentives. We have a parent meeting at the beginning of the school year , parents sign off on having received the book and when they question something (late fees usually) it's all there and on them. Another common complaint, if you pull your child you have 7 days to collect their belongings , otherwise they are property of the daycare
Most of us are home/group childcare providers, not school based... i'll stick to my method thank you
284878 10:14 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Do you get asked about vacation time during the interview process? I do all the time, I would have a hard time not telling them the truth. What do you say when if they ask?
Pandaluver21 10:35 PM 12-16-2016
Not for handbooks, but I have noticed more people read my contract since I updated it. I have it broken into sections with about 4-5 points that they sign at the bottom of EACH section. Also, they are almost always more likely if I have blanks for them to fill in. I have had much less issues with people not reading it.
JackandJill 04:27 AM 12-17-2016
I agree with one of the PP, I don't do incentives. The real incentive is that there will be no surprises for the parents when I enforce my rules

But, I did have a parent do this to me! I have an 8 page enrollment packet the state requires for each child. When I enrolled siblings, the dad put something ridiculous in the middle of both their packets. On one, he wrote something like Xxx is afraid of the John Brown doll. I was like WTF?!

I asked them about it, and he laughed and was like oh you do read it!!
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 12-17-2016
Originally Posted by Jazzii:
Parent meetings would be similiar to interviews... info is provided to families but that still doesn't guarantee they read or retain any of what you said.

The incentives motivate parents to read information in some cases and/or provide proof for the provider the parent did or didn't read in other cases.

I agree that all necessary info is in the handbook but that doesnt stop parents from asking you first verses reading.
Its easier..
Annalee 11:59 AM 12-17-2016
I have a 3-step interview process and go over the handbook/contract word for word. I have a copy and they have a copy at the time, but with clients today.....they hear you but they don't listen with the understanding that the info pertains to them. I am amazed EVERY DAY at the questions I get. I also get tired of that 'deer in the headlights' look when I hand toys/food back to the parent some mornings. No matter how consistent I am with my replies, some clients never seem to get it.
Max 07:56 AM 12-18-2016
I know a lot of providers don't do incentives (and like I said, I understand the reasoning why ), I was just looking for feedback from the providers that do offer incentives.

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I like the idea of including a hidden phrase in the handbook.
Jazzii 08:23 PM 12-25-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Most of us are home/group childcare providers, not school based... i'll stick to my method thank you

As am I.
Just wanted to clarify, since you may have questioned my experience.

This is a group family home daycare. We have 12 children daily and they range in age from 2 months to 4 years.

I may have jumped the gun (do not remember) but I was answering to whether or not we used incentives.

OP, I think you got A LOT of great suggestions! I especially like the silly ones (running around the car specifically!) And hope all works out well!

I also realized that when I wrote my reply the word "I" did not type. I didn't mean for it to come off as "don't do this" rather "I don't do this"
LysesKids 06:10 PM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
They don't read contracts either... I know most my families read the policies online because they question one or two each & every time I interview, but the contract - not so much

I actually have a sentence in my contract stating if a parent shows me the particular sentence that states the discount at the time they sign, I deduct $10 right then & there from first fee... haven't done it yet because the last 2 people didn't ask/show me the statement.
I correct that... the last 3 families that signed didn't catch it, and the 4th one that read the contract declined to show the next day & pay the deposit. My spots might be filled, but I have yet to deduct that $10 lol
Tags:coupons, incentive, parent handbook
Reply Up