Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Flaky Parent
TXhomedaycare 02:44 PM 12-15-2016
This might seem like a silly question but that's not going to stop me from asking. I have a dcp that told me mutilated times this week that her son is not coming on Thursday and Friday this week and then she decided yesterday to bring g her son today and she just told me her so will also be coming g tomorrow. I do have in my handbook that I need to have their care schedule a week in advance if they have a changing schedule but she doesn't. Her contract is for M-F from 7:30 to 4 so I think she just wants to pick and choose when she sends him daily. Do you allow this? I don't like her flipping back and forth on me and I am trying to find the best way to allow dress this. Both my kids allow rend a few of my daycare kids are sick so I only thought I would have one kid tomorrow and I made plans but now I will have additional child since she changed her mind.
organicdclady 03:09 PM 12-15-2016
I had a mom who was doing something similar. Sometimes she wouldn't drop off until 11 am when her scheduled time is 8 am. I have two or her kids so it really was an inconvenience when she would say they won't be attending any given day then the day before tell me they are indeed coming. The last time she texted me about a schedule change I responded with, DCM although your two spots are guaranteed I do plan around the schedule you give me. Over the weekend I plan lessons and meals, go grocery shopping and schedule my assistants. I can no longer accommodate any last minute schedule changes. They are now here at daycare for every second she pays for. I kind of miss the light days it provided but I hated the up and down and never knowing.
Cat Herder 03:40 PM 12-15-2016
IMHO, If her hours are full-time she does have the right to come full time.

It is annoying, but IMHO that is why they have to pay me to put up with it.

If they say they are picking up early, I know they will be late. An interviewee who says they will always pick up early and drop off late will always be the first to arrive and last to leave. It is how it goes. I jest, but only a little...
TXhomedaycare 04:02 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

If they say they are picking up early, I know they will be late. An interviewee who says they will always pick up early and drop off late will always be the first to arrive and last to leave. It is how it goes. I jest, but only a little...
I was kind of thinking that but I still feel there should be a cut off time for her to keep changing her mind. If I hadn't verified with her if he was going to be here she would have just showed up after telling me he wasnt. I think since this business is ran out of my house I should be given the courtesy to know when people are coming and going (I also happen to have a personal life with 2 kids and a husband). If I kept changing my mind on my schedule, hours or anything that would affect them they would be upset (treat people the way you want to be treated).

Earlier this year I had a family say they weren't coming and he was going to be my only dcb that day so I took my kids to their check up at the doctor and guess who showed up at my house with their child while I wasn't home and left dcb with my husband That's not cool. I do believe out of respect for me she should be held to her word at least until 6 pm when I close.
JackandJill 05:06 PM 12-15-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I was kind of thinking that but I still feel there should be a cut off time for her to keep changing her mind. If I hadn't verified with her if he was going to be here she would have just showed up after telling me he wasnt. I think since this business is ran out of my house I should be given the courtesy to know when people are coming and going (I also happen to have a personal life with 2 kids and a husband). If I kept changing my mind on my schedule, hours or anything that would affect them they would be upset (treat people the way you want to be treated).

Earlier this year I had a family say they weren't coming and he was going to be my only dcb that day so I took my kids to their check up at the doctor and guess who showed up at my house with their child while I wasn't home and left dcb with my husband That's not cool. I do believe out of respect for me she should be held to her word at least until 6 pm when I close.
I completely agree! I had a similar situation happen twice, that I made plans after being told no kids were coming. And then received annoyed phone calls asking where I was when the parents showed up to an empty house.

After that, I made sure all parents make any schedule changes in writing. Once it is in writing, that is it, no backsies It has helped reduce the amount of off hand comments like "Johnny will be out Thursday" and "I'll be picking up early Monday" which always gets your hopes up for time off!

And I agree with PP, that if you are paying for a spot, then it should be available. But some parents abuse the perceived "flexibility" we have working from home, which quickly gets old!
midaycare 06:31 PM 12-15-2016
I would do a dropoff cutoff time, which would stop some of the issues. If she's not there by, say, 9am, she can't come.
laundrymom 03:26 AM 12-16-2016
This is a great idea!!
I think I'll make up some generic forms and print them.

Name.
Date of notice.
Details of notice.
Sign.

Should be sufficient.
Right?

Originally Posted by JackandJill:

After that, I made sure all parents make any schedule changes in writing. Once it is in writing, that is it, no backsies

JackandJill 06:14 AM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
This is a great idea!!
I think I'll make up some generic forms and print them.

Name.
Date of notice.
Details of notice.
Sign.

Should be sufficient.
Right?
That works. I just respond to "Johnny will be out Monday" with "Great, can you either text/email or write it down for me. Don't forget, once its submitted there's no changing it."
Unregistered 08:54 AM 12-16-2016
I just had to amend my handbook to address this. Parents telling me they don't need me a certain day, I make plans or an appointment, their plans change, they want the day in care again.
I said once you cancel, you forfeit the day, AND you still owe daily tuition.
TXhomedaycare 03:58 PM 12-16-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I completely agree! I had a similar situation happen twice, that I made plans after being told no kids were coming. And then received annoyed phone calls asking where I was when the parents showed up to an empty house.

After that, I made sure all parents make any schedule changes in writing. Once it is in writing, that is it, no backsies It has helped reduce the amount of off hand comments like "Johnny will be out Thursday" and "I'll be picking up early Monday" which always gets your hopes up for time off!

And I agree with PP, that if you are paying for a spot, then it should be available. But some parents abuse the perceived "flexibility" we have working from home, which quickly gets old!
thanks doing that from now on.
Ariana 06:54 AM 12-19-2016
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

I agree with this. If I have other kids and am open then that child is welcome to join us. It is a total PITA to have a kid you thought would not be there but it is the nature of an open business. If this was your only child and you made olans to leave your house then yes I woukd put a cutoff and say "oh sorry but since you said X wouldn't be here I made plans to go shopping, next time give me more notice so I don't plan my day to be away from the house". I had to do this with a lady for PD days. I required a weeks notice so I could prepare to have a 7 yr old in my home (activities, food etc) she was not a daycare regular so more planning went into her being there. Of course this was a parent who had no concept that other people existed so she had to learn the hard way that last minute notice does not work for me. I had to refuse care for her child at the risk of her pulling her kids but at that point I did not care!
Crazy Baby 02:16 PM 12-19-2016
No way would I deal with that.

My parents have to give me 24 hour notice of schedule changes.

If they are going to be 15 or more minutes late for drop-off, then they have to call and let me know. For every half hour that a parent is late for dropping off, then they pay $5. After an hour and a half late, I will not admit the child into care.

For late pick-up, I charge $10 per half hour (with a 10 minute grace period).

I had too many issues with a couple of parents. It is not fair for the provider and the rest of the children to have to wait on someone to show up. We go on a walk most days and do certain activities within time frames.

People need to value being on time, keep their word and have respect for other people.
Sumshine 09:25 PM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
This might seem like a silly question but that's not going to stop me from asking. I have a dcp that told me mutilated times this week that her son is not coming on Thursday and Friday this week and then she decided yesterday to bring g her son today and she just told me her so will also be coming g tomorrow. I do have in my handbook that I need to have their care schedule a week in advance if they have a changing schedule but she doesn't. Her contract is for M-F from 7:30 to 4 so I think she just wants to pick and choose when she sends him daily. Do you allow this? I don't like her flipping back and forth on me and I am trying to find the best way to allow dress this. Both my kids allow rend a few of my daycare kids are sick so I only thought I would have one kid tomorrow and I made plans but now I will have additional child since she changed her mind.
I politely explain that I prepare enough food, activities, and pay for art/craft supplies in advance based on how many kids I have scheduled in attendance that day and I try to stay as organized as possible while keeping the kiddos on a routine. If they say they aren't going to be there then I would of denied care as I am not prepared to have the child for the day they did not give you proper notice to prepare and provide for them. I would also advise in general since you do try to plan ahead you need a solid schedule 2 weeks in advance if she is going to be changing days and times thats fine but let me know every pick up/drop up time in advance like a vacation would require.
Jazzii 07:50 PM 12-25-2016
If this is a continuous issue tell her that you will be switching her to a daily contract. She will either be okay with the possibility of being turned away or she will get her act together.

Not knowing when a child is arriving disrupts staffing and the schedule.

Typically we require no less than a 24 hour notice unless child is sick.
Tags:attendance, attendance hours
Reply Up