Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Prop Bottles For My Two Month Old Daycare Baby...
youretooloud 07:42 AM 01-13-2012
She sits in a special "feeding" seat and She takes her bottles in there, then stays there for a while after eating, then If I pick her up too soon, the whole bottle rolls back out of her mouth. (she'll have a surgery at about 12 months if it doesn't improve on it's own)

ANYWAY.... She sits in a special seat called "Summer infant feeder". It's just a tiny plastic and fabric chair. I think you can buy it in any dept store.

She's never going to be able to fit in this seat past four months. They claim it's the only position that works, and none of the other seats work for her.

So, what do we do when she's too big for this seat?

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-...6469341&sr=1-1
Heidi 07:45 AM 01-13-2012
We are not allowed to prop bottles here.

She has a condition that requires it? She throws up when she's done?
jojosmommy 07:53 AM 01-13-2012
We can never prop bottles. Lic doesnt allow. I do not recommend it even if lic allows it. Tell mom you have to feed the child holding the bottle, try putting pillows under your arm to keep the child more upright. Suggest having the child checked for reflux, my 2 mo has it- verified by a simple barium scan. She is on meds and within 5 days her intense reflux was calmed. My md explained that until they get on meds the should be upright all of the day as any time on back or flat can irritate the lining of the esophagus. I would bet that depends on how severe the case is. Try a bouncy seat.
jojosmommy 07:54 AM 01-13-2012
Any in my dd case she did too lose all of what she ate. How frustrating for you. Good luck!
youretooloud 07:55 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
We are not allowed to prop bottles here.

She has a condition that requires it? She throws up when she's done?
Something is wrong with the muscle that closes off when she swallows, so if you bend her, or lay her flat, the whole bottle comes back out, like it would if you tipped the bottle over.

I hold the bottle, but I don't hold her. I put her on the counter, then we don't budge at all until she's done. Even then, she loses quite a bit of the bottle, but, not as much as if I were to sit her up or lay her down.
Cat Herder 08:02 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I hold the bottle, but I don't hold her.
IMHO, that does not qualify as "propping the bottle".

When she get's bigger simply allow her to sit upright in a bean bag chair as you feed her then move her to a high chair to sit upright for a bit.

Once she is able to sit up on her own, being restrained in a seat will not be necessary.
Christian Mother 09:51 AM 01-13-2012
My son had a hard time taking bottles also..the majority of the time he would spit all the contents up...it would be him taking an oz and then he'd spit it up...repeat. I used a bouncer chair when he was 4 or 5 months and he did really well with that. A bean bag would work well to but I notice that a bean bag can loss it's firmness after months of use and it would sag. That can be dangerous for a infant as they can suffocate. Awesome that your holding the bottle when feeding. I have a 2 month right now also. I hold him on the couch feeding him. He quiet a eater...takes 6 oz every 3 hrs. Right on the dot. Big boy!
Cat Herder 10:17 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
That can be dangerous for a infant as they can suffocate.
Very true... That is why it is so important to only have them in it as you are right there feeding them.

I am sorry I did not convey that well enough. Thanks, Christian Mother.
karen 10:31 AM 01-13-2012
How about a bumbo seat? I love them. Maybe that would work.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumbo-402-Baby...6479408&sr=8-1
youretooloud 10:44 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by karen:
How about a bumbo seat? I love them. Maybe that would work.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumbo-402-Baby...6479408&sr=8-1
I like those too, but she's too tiny right now, and it would defeat the purpose of having her at one certain angle. Any bend in her midsection makes her throw up.
karen 10:50 AM 01-13-2012
Ohhhhh....Awwww how precious! O.k. well now I am stumped what a situation you are in. Somebody will have a great idea I am sure of it.
Tags:bottles, feeding issues
Reply Up