Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Some Opinions Please...(Warning - Sensitive Issue)
Registered--Logged Out 06:57 PM 01-21-2012
I'm a registered user, but I need to log out to discuss this...its a sensitive issue.

This past week, a staff member alerted me to the fact that one of the boys in my room was in the restroom and she saw what looked like blood in his underwear. I checked it out and it was in fact blood where his penis would rest, and the spots were in different stages of drying. I asked him what happened, and he said he'd hurt his "peepee" on the table. I was quite alarmed, and pulled his pants up and took him straight to my director.

I showed her the bloodstains (I asked the child's permission). The director looked at his private, (despite my warnings that it was probably not a good idea), and you could see that it was an injury that could not have been caused by bumping into a table, although that probably aggravated it. We called mom and she was quite nonchalant, she said that his penis does bleed sometimes due to an error in circumcision, and she'd take him to the Dr. Monday (!). I wrote up an incident report and sent it home. A while later I get a call from the Director saying that the child was now saying my assistant pushed him into the table, and I should call the mom. And say what? I wasn't in the room with him at the time, I was supervising another group of children and everything I knew, I had already told the mom. I may add that this child will say things that aren't true or exaggerated when put on the spot...

I feel this is going to come crashing down on my head, even though I've done what I should have. This is not the first thing that I had very little to do with, that has fallen down on me. Some questions in my mind:

1. If the mom knew of this situation, wasn't she negligent for not letting me know? Especially with the child being in a high energy environment like daycare, there are opportunities for little boys to bump their penises all day long.

2. Was I negligent for not knowing? I don't usually follow four-year-olds into the restroom, but should I? I'm always walking by to make sure no one needs help or is stopping up the toilet, but I don't look in their underwear or at their privates.

3. I've been looking for another job for quite some time, and been unsuccessful. I feel this little incidents of children being hurt are signs for me to get away quickly, before something big happens and I go down with the ship. But I do feel that when I leave, something WILL happen.

I would like other's opinions on this.
Tags:injury, injury report, privates
Up