Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Provider Injuries Requiring Medical Attention
BumbleBee 01:21 PM 07-13-2012
How many injuries have you, as a provider/caregiver, had that required medical attention?
BumbleBee 01:32 PM 07-13-2012
3 total for me. All 3 happened at the center I worked at for 3 years.

1st injury: Dislocated thumb. 2 year old jumped on my hand.

2nd injury: Crush injury to my breast. 3 year old was upset that I wouldn't hold her right at that moment. I offered a hug, knelt down and she chomped onto my breast. Ended up with a superficial hematoma that had to be drained.

3rd injury: Broken nose. 4 year old head butted me on the nose. Nose had to be reset.
saved4always 05:53 PM 07-13-2012
The only injury I have had that required medical attention was that I strained my back. I have a bad habit of lifting kids using my back instead of my legs. I was refered to a spinal doctor who told me I have some arthritis in my back and that each time I re-injure it, it will take longer to come back from the injury. I try to be kind to my back now. I now watch only toddlers and I find that, even though I lift them often, they tend to kind of hold themselves up and support thier own weight better than young infants. When I watched heavy infants (there were a few really hefty little guys for a while) I had many more episodes of back pain.
Hunni Bee 07:52 PM 07-13-2012
Sore subject for me.

Last year, I fell over a DCK and did SOMETHING to my left hip. I went to the hospital the next day, had it x-rayed and everything, and was told nothing was wrong. I have severe pain to this day...so bad that its hard to sit, walk and sleep some days.

This was the absolute worse DCK I had ever had...the kid was horrifically violent and mean. I posted about him here numerous times leading up to that incident. He yanked down on my arm after I found him peeking in the restroom at one of my dcg's...caused me to lose my balance, and in order to avoid falling on top of him I fell awkwardly beside him...injuring myself for life I guess...

I'll add that this occurred in the center I work at...no way would this child have been in my HOME after the first incident of violence.
e.j. 08:02 PM 07-13-2012
Hopefully I'm not jinxing myself but I haven't had any injuries requiring medical care in almost 17 years of doing day care. I did come close once when I twisted my ankle on a toy that had been left on the stairs by one of the kids. I thought I heard a snapping sound and couldn't walk on it for several minutes but it got better - enough to be able to limp around on it. I was in some pain for the next couple of weeks but it was manageable. Eventually, my sil told me about Icy Hot. I used that for a a day or two and it felt much better. (It takes a lot for me to go to the doctor!)
e.j. 08:09 PM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Last year, I fell over a DCK and did SOMETHING to my left hip. I went to the hospital the next day, had it x-rayed and everything, and was told nothing was wrong. I have severe pain to this day...so bad that its hard to sit, walk and sleep some days.
Have you ever considered having an MRI done? Sometimes injuries that don't show up on an xray do show up on an MRI. We're just going thru this with my dd who hurt her knee. Xray showed nothing but the MRI clearly shows an injury. Going a year in severe pain just isn't right. There has to be something there.
SilverSabre25 08:34 PM 07-13-2012
I fell down the stairs in December while carrying my DS and I think I broke my foot. Landed on it with all my (not inconsiderable :P) weight and something crack/snap/popped. I was pretty sure it was broken although I could and did walk on it. Went to Urgent care, had an X-Ray they said it wasn't broken but I have my serious, serious doubts...because it still hurts excruciatingly to this day, but only if it gets squished or twisted in *just* the wrong way
queenbee 08:45 PM 07-13-2012
I currently wear a wrist splint. I'm either dealing with a wrist sprain from lifting incorrectly or carpal tunnel from typing A couple more weeks and I'll know for sure which.

Both sound just delightful and perfect for a job as a daycare provider

All my little daycare friends are concerned about me. They're always making sure I don't hurt myself anymore
Childminder 08:50 PM 07-13-2012
One's that I remember…hmmmm…Twice I have fallen down the stairs while carrying a child and broken my coccyx; once while opening a package of food for daycare lunch with a knife I stabbed myself in the arm and nicked a tendon, could not use my arm for a couple of weeks; once while making lunch i dropped a can on my big toe and it exploded like a squished grape; tripped by a dck and slammed my elbow into a door frame and it tingled for days; too many bruises and little things to remember.
BumbleBee 09:36 PM 07-13-2012
Sore subject for me.

This was the absolute worse DCK I had ever had...the kid was horrifically violent and mean. I posted about him here numerous times leading up to that incident. He yanked down on my arm after I found him peeking in the restroom at one of my dcg's...caused me to lose my balance, and in order to avoid falling on top of him I fell awkwardly beside him...injuring myself for life I guess...

I'll add that this occurred in the center I work at...no way would this child have been in my HOME after the first incident of violence.
I hear you about the violent kids. 2 of my 3 injuries were from very violent children at the center.

As far as the hip, I agree with the MRI. However, getting insurance to cover it is hard. I'm having the same problem with "it's fine" regarding an old knee injury (not the same knee that I recently injured). Nobody will listen and the pain is unreal some days. I just keep bugging my dr about it and getting 2nd opinions. One day I'll need an MRI for something
wahmof3 04:52 AM 07-14-2012
Broke the end of my elbow off climbing over a baby gate Yeah my foot caught and I went straight down.

Worst part of it was one of my DCMs worked for an orthopedic surgeon & said come right in rather than going to ER. SO I did. Well 6 weeks later including a couple weeks of physical therapy a mri and a DIFFERENT doctor they found the break!!

I now have a rather large scar on my arm as well as the proud owner of 2 screws
e.j. 06:24 AM 07-14-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
As far as the hip, I agree with the MRI. However, getting insurance to cover it is hard. I'm having the same problem with "it's fine" regarding an old knee injury (not the same knee that I recently injured). Nobody will listen and the pain is unreal some days. I just keep bugging my dr about it and getting 2nd opinions. One day I'll need an MRI for something
In Hunni Bee's case, she may be able to get an MRI paid for through Workman's Comp since the injury happened at her workplace. I'd at least look into it.

Trummynmne, just wondering how you hurt your knee. Did you trip and land on your knee by any chance?
BumbleBee 10:10 AM 07-14-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
In Hunni Bee's case, she may be able to get an MRI paid for through Workman's Comp since the injury happened at her workplace. I'd at least look into it.

Trummynmne, just wondering how you hurt your knee. Did you trip and land on your knee by any chance?
The old knee injury that is giving me problems happened when I was running up some bleachers and fell. I hit the edge of the next stair just below the knee cap. Swelled up and ridiculous pain. Saw a Dr and was told ice, rest, anti inflamatories so that's what I did.

Now my knee gives away randomly and the whole lower part of that leg is tight. Pain shoots from my foot to my knee if I step wrong. A 4 inch section of my inner lower leg has no feeling. I can't straighten my leg out without tearing pain below my knee.

My most recent injury on my other knee was from catching the back of my shoe on a stair while going down and catching my fall with my kneecap straight down onto concrete. Hairline fracture of the knee cap was the finding.
Lucy 02:39 PM 07-14-2012
None in 18 years. And knock on wood, I've never had a child with an injury requiring medical attention. Nothing more than a scraped knee.
e.j. 02:54 PM 07-14-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
The old knee injury that is giving me problems happened when I was running up some bleachers and fell. I hit the edge of the next stair just below the knee cap. Swelled up and ridiculous pain. Saw a Dr and was told ice, rest, anti inflamatories so that's what I did.

Now my knee gives away randomly and the whole lower part of that leg is tight. Pain shoots from my foot to my knee if I step wrong. A 4 inch section of my inner lower leg has no feeling. I can't straighten my leg out without tearing pain below my knee.

My most recent injury on my other knee was from catching the back of my shoe on a stair while going down and catching my fall with my kneecap straight down onto concrete. Hairline fracture of the knee cap was the finding.
OMG! Both injuries sound so painful! I don't know how you run after dc kids all day with both knees hurting so much! I don't think I could do it. I thought if it was similar to my dd's injury, you might have been able to ask your dr. if you had the same problem but as bad as my dd's knee is, your injury sounds way more severe. I hope you can find out what's going on with that first injury. It's frustrating to be told nothing is wrong when you know very well there is something wrong. My dd's knee has been hurting since the end of winter. In addition to her regular dr., she's seen a chiroprator, orthopedic spe******t and a physical therapist. Everyone was working from the premise that the xray showed nothing. We finally had to back to the first dr. and request an MRI and that did show the injury making me wish we had asked for it long ago. Hopefully, we can figure out how to fix it now! Good luck with your own injury. I hope your dr. can figure it out so you can stop being in pain.
Hunni Bee 05:32 PM 07-15-2012
Originally Posted by e.j.:
I will. They (the center) sent me to hospital right after it happened. The doctors said my hip was just bruised and gave me a prescription for Tylenol. It was fine for a month or so, then the horrible pain started. It even hurts when I wear certain pants
e.j. 05:39 PM 07-15-2012
I will. They (the center) sent me to hospital right after it happened. The doctors said my hip was just bruised and gave me a prescription for Tylenol. It was fine for a month or so, then the horrible pain started. It even hurts when I wear certain pants
Well that's a little odd, huh? Definitely don't wear those pants until you figure out what's going on!
MsMe 12:16 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Broke the end of my elbow off climbing over a baby gate Yeah my foot caught and I went straight down.

Worst part of it was one of my DCMs worked for an orthopedic surgeon & said come right in rather than going to ER. SO I did. Well 6 weeks later including a couple weeks of physical therapy a mri and a DIFFERENT doctor they found the break!!

I now have a rather large scar on my arm as well as the proud owner of 2 screws
I also broke my elbow....only I fell while riding my bicycle Went to the Dr the next day and had surgery two days later. I too am the proud owner of a large scar and two screws.

I still (1 year later) do not have full range of motion I lost 40 degrees of range. Do you have full range?
youretooloud 12:26 PM 07-17-2012
Only one, but it had nothing to do with daycare. It affected my job, but it was something I did to myself on a nice little Saturday morning.
wahmof3 01:06 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
I also broke my elbow....only I fell while riding my bicycle Went to the Dr the next day and had surgery two days later. I too am the proud owner of a large scar and two screws.

I still (1 year later) do not have full range of motion I lost 40 degrees of range. Do you have full range?
Its not the same as it used to be, but for the most part I do have full range. I have hyper extension, well, used to lol
Sunshine74 08:48 PM 07-17-2012
I slipped on an area rug that was not properly put down (nothing under it to keep it from sliding). After 3 months of being told it was just a sprain/strain, and working through it, I finally got an MRI and found out I tore my acl. I had 2 surgeries in 3 months, and was out for 7 months. I still have pain and can't move it/bend it certain ways.
Tags:injury
Reply Up