Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Require For Summer?
thecrazyisout 05:49 AM 03-21-2011
Spring has arrived! Soon kids will be playing outside and getting dirty! What items do you required your parents to supply in the summer (Swim suits, extra clothing..etc.)

Thanks
SilverSabre25 06:02 AM 03-21-2011
Swimsuit
2 sets of extra clothing
Sun screen (if they want it used)

I think that's it...

I provide towels to dry off and reusable swim diapers for those who need them.
youretooloud 06:40 AM 03-21-2011
Flip flops, or easy to put on shoes.

Bathing suits, or swim diapers.

Some bring me sunscreen, but I've never asked for it.

It's too hot to go outside very often, so in the summer, we are inside 90% of the time... when we Do go out, we go out for a short time.
SimpleMom 06:57 AM 03-21-2011
swim suits, towels, water bottles, tennis shoes, extra clothing (all year), sunscreen and bugspray (only if they want me to use it). I send suits home daily as well as towels.
childcarebytori 07:08 AM 03-21-2011
I require all of my kids to have a swimsuit, a pair of water shoes (we have pea rocks in the backyard where we have our sprinklers, so they need shoes they can safely play in), a sunhat, sunscreen with an SPF of at least 50, and swim diapers for non-potty goers. We start our water-play in April every year so the children needs these by then. Most parents bring child sunglasses for fun for the kids, but I don't require them.
Blackcat31 07:21 AM 03-21-2011
Swim suit
Towel
Extra clothing (seasonally appropriate)
A good pair of running/walking shoes (NO Crocs or flip flops/sandals)
Sun screen (if they want me to use it)
Bug spray (if they want me to use it)
Light jacket to be left in cubby
Hat/sunglasses if they want their kid to use them.
youretooloud 07:27 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A good pair of running/walking shoes (NO Crocs or flip flops/sandals)
Isn't that funny? I require the opposite. I am SOOO done with running shoes and socks. I think God created crocs just to make my life better in the summers.
Blackcat31 07:30 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Isn't that funny? I require the opposite. I am SOOO done with running shoes and socks. I think God created crocs just to make my life better in the summers.
Oh, they can wear Crocs or sandals to daycare but I am sooo sick of skinned knees/toes and kids tripping during our walks and such that I require the good tennis shoes so that we don't have that problem anymore.

I am all for easy and quick too but when it comes to running, I can't imagine doing that safely in a pair of Crocs or flip-flops when the coordination level isn't at 100% yet...kwim?

I also do NOT allow bare feet in my daycare house...I have a weird thing about feet...they are so gross so they need to have socks on indoors. Keeps the "ick" factor down.
youretooloud 07:36 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh, they can wear Crocs or sandals to daycare but I am sooo sick of skinned knees/toes and kids tripping during our walks and such that I require the good tennis shoes so that we don't have that problem anymore.

I am all for easy and quick too but when it comes to running, I can't imagine doing that safely in a pair of Crocs or flip-flops when the coordination level isn't at 100% yet...kwim?

I also do NOT allow bare feet in my daycare house...I have a weird thing about feet...they are so gross so they need to have socks on indoors. Keeps the "ick" factor down.
We just stay inside all summer, and there's absolutely nowhere to go here anyway. I live in a neighborhood with only sidewalks, streets and homes. The park is two long blocks away, which is fine in the winter or spring.

So, I think that's why I love the crocs and flip flops in the summer.

What I don't understand are the parents who send kids over in those plastic dress up high heels. WTH? Now we can't go anywhere, and I'm not letting the child clomp around my floors in those things. Backup shoes??? Why can't the parents think of backup shoes?
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
We just stay inside all summer, and there's absolutely nowhere to go here anyway. I live in a neighborhood with only sidewalks, streets and homes. The park is two long blocks away, which is fine in the winter or spring.

So, I think that's why I love the crocs and flip flops in the summer.

What I don't understand are the parents who send kids over in those plastic dress up high heels. WTH? Now we can't go anywhere, and I'm not letting the child clomp around my floors in those things. Backup shoes??? Why can't the parents think of backup shoes?
I have several of those and know who wears them here?!?!? The boys!!!!

The good sturdy tennis shoes I ask the kids to have are actually required to stay in their cubbies all summer so I KNOW we have them when we need them....too many parents just bring their kids in dumb shoes and it always sucks when one parent forgets the good ones and then ALL the kids have to stay in. .

Where I live; those few months of summer weather are precious and few.... (I laughed when you said, "We just stay inside all summer" but considering where you live...I get that.) In MN, we LIVE for summer!!! No one lives here because they like the winters....we just deal with them.....
dEHmom 08:02 AM 03-21-2011
this is my list, it's also in my handbook:

-sunscreen (I offer to purchase for a fee, advise parents my brand I buy, if they prefer different, then they buy)
-sunhat
-swim suit
-rubber boots
-sandals
-runners
-slush pants/jacket
-2 extra shorts, 1-2 extra pants, 2 extra shirts

I DO NOT allow sunglasses, they get lost, broken or fighting happens. They are not allowed anymore.
snbauser 09:17 AM 03-21-2011
Extra clothes are required year round.

In the summer a swimsuit and towel are required and are left here. Both should be labeled with the childs name. I wash them and put them back into their cubbies after we use them. I find this easier than having them try to remember to bring them when we want to do water play. It also means I can decide that morning if we are playing in the water or not. I do not require sunscreen unless they want to provide their own. I provide hats and sunscreen for all of the kids. It's easier to use the same sunscreen on all of them instead of having 12 different bottles. I provide the hats and we decorate them at the beginning of the summer and they stay here. It's easier to get the fair skinned ones to wear them if everyone is wearing them.
nannyde 09:20 AM 03-21-2011
I provide everything they need. I just have them reup their spare clothes bag for the season.
thecrazyisout 09:47 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I provide everything they need. I just have them reup their spare clothes bag for the season.
I was actually thinking about doing this. I saw that you provide all winter stuff as well. To me, it makes sense in the way that you are not struggling to make sure everyone has their things and especially in the winter when one child forgets their mittens and such.
melskids 09:55 AM 03-21-2011
i provide everything too. if parents bring what the kids need, that's fine. but i dont rely on it. so i always make sure i have back up on hand.
squareone 10:15 AM 03-21-2011
sunscreen
sunhat
closed-toe shoes (no-slip ons or flip flops)
swimsuit
reminder to replace spare clothing to reflect the season

I have a policy change from last summer. I now require parents to apply sunscreen in the morning BEFORE drop off. They still need to leave some here so that it can be reapplied in the afternoon if necessary.

Although I can probably smell it on the kids as soon as they walk in the door, I will probably add a column to my sign-in sheet so they can check off that they applied the suncreen that day.
heyhun77 10:44 AM 03-21-2011
I also provide everything they need with a few exceptions. I provide sunscreen (with permission slip), bug spray (with permission slip), swim diapers, hats, towels, pool passes, bus passes, ect.

Parents here must bring 2 extra sets of seasonal clothes, a swim suit that stays here for the summer and then must send their child in good tennis shoes. I don't allow sandals, flip flops or crocs here, either. We have a fallen forest climbing area (logs and stumps sunk into the ground) plus we are outside all the time in the summer. I don't let them bring tie shoes unless they are tying on their own or just about there. We do A LOT of walking in the summer (to and from baseball and then to and from the bus so we can go to the pool or parks) and sandals/flip flops/crocs have always been a problem. I can't even keep track of all the times before this policy that a child would lose a shoe right in the middle of the street as we were walking and their first thoguht isn't to finish crossing the street it's to stop and get their shoe. We use a walking rope so that means that the whole group is stopped on the road. Not happening! I also require that their shoes actually fit. I've had some in the past that don't want to have to keep buying shoes fortheir growing children so they buy them too big and expect them to walk properly while their feet grow.
nannyde 11:01 AM 03-21-2011
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
I also require that their shoes actually fit. I've had some in the past that don't want to have to keep buying shoes fortheir growing children so they buy them too big and expect them to walk properly while their feet grow.
I don't allow sandals or crocks either. I like nice fitting easy on thick tennis shoes. I had so many problems in the past with oversized or undersized shoes that I just invested in KEDS velcro shoes in every size with two pairs each in each size up to size one.

We don't have to manage laces and kids tripping.

Shoes "fitting" is in the eye of the beholder. If the kid falls on my watch and it is because they have ill fitting shoes it's on me. The liability is there regardless of who supplies them.

My goal is to never have another discussion about shoes with parents. I was able to get my stock at a pretty good price per pair so it was really worth it.
WImom 11:05 AM 03-21-2011
Swimsuits
shoes that can get wet (flip flops/swim shoes)
extra sets of clothes

I also require tennis shoes for regular outdoor play. I've seen way too many scraped toes.

I provide the sunscreen. I used to have them provide it but I was tired of 5 different bottles.
Reply Up