Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Help with Different Aged Children
Unregistered 04:51 PM 11-11-2009
Hello everyone,

I just opened my in home childcare and as of right now, I have just me as the only "staff". I have a 3, 4, 5, 7 & 9 Year old. The 3 is my own child. I am having some difficulty on just what to do with them. I only have them After school till about 5:00 and it just hard to have a certain schedule with them.

I want to add a little education, reading, learning ABC's for the little ones, 4 year old doesn't know them. Writing for the little ones. I just don't know how to add this in to the mix with all of them.

I hope someone can help me

Thank you,
Jackie
[email protected] 02:55 AM 11-12-2009
I focus my learning program on 2-4 yr olds, my babies get individual attention time. I teach the older ones in the mornings just after morning bottles. and my schoolagers get help with homework and they can read or play with the little ones until pickup. My age range is 6 weeks to 11 yrs.
MomOfMia 05:31 AM 11-12-2009
I have a 3 year old of my own and the way she learned her letters was just with the use of wooden blocks. If you do the wooden blocks, with the 3,4 and 5 year old, you can teach multiple things at once.

For instance.
This is letter c.... say, c. The older kids will enjoy showing what they know and the one who doesn't know can join in
Then, do, letter c says cuh cuh cuh for cuh - at. Cat
You could also go into, "what other words start with C?"
This website: http://www.first-school.ws/theme/alphaletter/s.htm
also provides the opportunity to print out worksheets. You could practice writing for those who are ready.... those who aren't can just color/scribble.
tinytotzdaycare 06:17 AM 11-13-2009
Our 2 year olds begin playing board games. I have the older ones play board games that are age appropriate while the younger ones play Lucky Ducks, Candy Land, Chutes & Ladders, Gone Fishing, Memory and more. They learn their colors, numbers, shapes and all while having fun!

Older kids are harder to keep busy, we no longer accept kids after 1st grade...it is hard to keep all of them busy with such a variety of age groups, so we changed a few years ago. Before that though we did a lot of games in the afternoons.

You may also have them do community projects as a group. Color cards for the local nursing home, soldiers, ect. They could bake cookies for the local pantry to give out on food day. These are all great teaching moments for ALL AGES!

Good Luck, its hard to keep schoolage kiddos busy.
cuddlebuggz 09:38 AM 11-16-2009
Kids of all ages love playdough, messy but FUN!
Tags:age appropriate
Reply Up