Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing My Mind
BentleysBands 06:45 AM 12-15-2010
with my 6month dcg ....all she does is scream when not held i have her in the pnp in the bedroom and i'm finding myself turning the tv up louder and louder to drown her out....i went in thre a few mins ago , tried to feed-wouldnt take, changed, held/played with , did a craft w/the other kids w/her in my lap...finally i put on the floor and she lost it...off to the bedroom she went .... just needed to vent hoping she outgrowns soon
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 12-15-2010
I feel for you...I am in the same boat with my 10 month old DCB......he will NOT stop!!!!......unless I hold him and I am so not holding him all day!!! My screamer can follow me around so unless yours is crawling...you can atleast walk away LOL!! I AM SO GLAD CHRISTMAS VACATION IS COMING!!! I need a break from this kid more than anything!!!
tenderhearts 07:11 AM 12-15-2010
Sounds like the 10 mo old dcb I have, it's very frustrating, he isn't too fussy during the day though, he used to be, he is fussy after his naps for awhile though. I feel for you. Hopefully its something they'll outgrow..
Childminder 07:18 AM 12-15-2010
Try a crying bowl? I had a dcb from a different culture that ALWAYS carried the child, Nope, not happening here! Finally tried the bowl in front of his face and he stopped screaming. This usually works better with older, 1+, but it worked with him @ 10 mos.
marniewon 07:19 AM 12-15-2010
14mo here! Why are there so many needy/clingy/screaming kids in daycare? Is it anything we're doing, the parents are doing, just their temperament? What?
Luna 07:27 AM 12-15-2010
I don't have any infants, but I did do backup for one for four hours one day...that was enough for me, he cried the whole time unless I was holding him AND walking! I really do feel for you, I hope she outgrows it soon.

What is a crying bowl?
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Try a crying bowl? I had a dcb from a different culture that ALWAYS carried the child, Nope, not happening here! Finally tried the bowl in front of his face and he stopped screaming. This usually works better with older, 1+, but it worked with him @ 10 mos.
what is a crying bowl? how does it work?
Childminder 08:28 AM 12-15-2010
It's just a large bowl that you hold in front of their face so that the sound is returned to their ears. I have seen people use plastic but I use a large metal mixing bowl. I guess that they are used a lot with autistic children. We had a 16mo that just started screaming when ever he didn't get his way just last week and I got out the bowl. Took four times and he stopped his earsplitting screams.
laundrymom 09:02 AM 12-15-2010
brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super triple like this!!
SandeeAR 10:35 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
14mo here! Why are there so many needy/clingy/screaming kids in daycare? Is it anything we're doing, the parents are doing, just their temperament? What?
Because their parents feel guilty for leaving them all day and hold them all the time and give in to them at home.
BentleysBands 10:37 AM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Because their parents feel guilty for leaving them all day and hold them all the time and give in to them at home.
exactly! i dont blame them in a way, but it makes it much harder for US!
Blackcat31 12:51 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by BentleysBands:
exactly! i dont blame them in a way, but it makes it much harder for US!
...and it makes it much harder on the child. I actually told a mom a few weeks ago that it is hard on her son when he is here because he cries to be held and I do NOT give in. So I basically laid out the image of her kid bawling ALL day and how sad that SHE is doing that to him. I told her I am not physically capable of caring for one child as a mom would WHILE watching 8 others. I just made sure I said it all like it was HER fault that her kid was having such a horrible daycare experience and if she wanted to make it easier for her son then she would have to work on not holding him 24/7 and allow him to occupy himself and learn to self soothe. (She rocks him to sleep too and I told her I have no alternative but to let him cry himself to sleep). I think the whole image of 'little johnny' crying ALL day really got to her because he has been much better this week. Her son is 10 months in case you were wondering.
BentleysBands 01:15 PM 12-15-2010
YAY!! baby was just picked up and mom said she wont be back till i reopen in jan i'm so excited!!! LOL
BentleysBands 01:16 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...and it makes it much harder on the child. I actually told a mom a few weeks ago that it is hard on her son when he is here because he cries to be held and I do NOT give in. So I basically laid out the image of her kid bawling ALL day and how sad that SHE is doing that to him. I told her I am not physically capable of caring for one child as a mom would WHILE watching 8 others. I just made sure I said it all like it was HER fault that her kid was having such a horrible daycare experience and if she wanted to make it easier for her son then she would have to work on not holding him 24/7 and allow him to occupy himself and learn to self soothe. (She rocks him to sleep too and I told her I have no alternative but to let him cry himself to sleep). I think the whole image of 'little johnny' crying ALL day really got to her because he has been much better this week. Her son is 10 months in case you were wondering.
so very true!!
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! super triple like this!!
I am so going to Target after work and buying a big bowl...metal so the sound echos better!!! LOL!!
marniewon 04:00 PM 12-15-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am so going to Target after work and buying a big bowl...metal so the sound echos better!!! LOL!!
I tried this today - didn't work. Every time I came close enough to do it, he would stop crying, thinking I was going to pick him up!
Blackcat31 07:55 AM 12-16-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I tried this today - didn't work. Every time I came close enough to do it, he would stop crying, thinking I was going to pick him up!
I don't even know what to say because that is way too funny!!!
Tags:chaos, screaming, vent
Reply Up