Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Know About Abnormal Body Temp 96.7
lvt77 09:32 AM 01-31-2011
I have a dcb that just vomited I decided to take his temp. it was 96.7. I took it 3 times and did my own to make sure that the themometer was working right. it is the exegren themporal scanner.... Is this normal to be so low?

Also I cant seem to rid of the vomit smell, any advice on cleaners that are safe to use during daycare hours??? I used oxyclean, but all I can smell is vomit....
momofboys 09:49 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I have a dcb that just vomited I decided to take his temp. it was 96.7. I took it 3 times and did my own to make sure that the themometer was working right. it is the exegren themporal scanner.... Is this normal to be so low?

Also I cant seem to rid of the vomit smell, any advice on cleaners that are safe to use during daycare hours??? I used oxyclean, but all I can smell is vomit....

What other symptoms does he have? Does he seem lethargic, does he have a cold or other breathing difficulties? When my own son was a two months old he had pneumonia/RSV & what tipped us off to the problem (other than the fact that he was not breathing well/coughing) was that he had a low body temp (although I can't recall what it was-this was 6 years ago).
lvt77 09:57 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by janarae:
What other symptoms does he have? Does he seem lethargic, does he have a cold or other breathing difficulties? When my own son was a two months old he had pneumonia/RSV & what tipped us off to the problem (other than the fact that he was not breathing well/coughing) was that he had a low body temp (although I can't recall what it was-this was 6 years ago).
he is lethargic, but this is normal for him as I know he stays up past 11:00 pm every night... No other symptoms....
lil angels 10:02 AM 01-31-2011
Not sure about the low body temp. But I had my own son puke on my carpet and I couldn't get the smell out and I got the spot wet with water and then sprinkled baking soda on it and left it sit for about 4 hrs. and vacumed it up and repeated it over night and it worked great. I had it happen one other time and we picked up the arm and hammer for pets and it has a great smell to it we left that sit just like the other and that was great too. Good luck
newtodaycare22 10:03 AM 01-31-2011
He may just have a low body temp (and is sick minus the actual fever part). I'm usually 97 degrees instead of 98.6. I'd check with the parents because some people just have lower regular temps than others. When I go to the doctor with 99 they know I'm sick

Good luck!
SandeeAR 10:08 AM 01-31-2011
My now, 29 y/o DD, normal is 97. Has been since she was little.
lvt77 10:10 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Not sure about the low body temp. But I had my own son puke on my carpet and I couldn't get the smell out and I got the spot wet with water and then sprinkled baking soda on it and left it sit for about 4 hrs. and vacumed it up and repeated it over night and it worked great. I had it happen one other time and we picked up the arm and hammer for pets and it has a great smell to it we left that sit just like the other and that was great too. Good luck
oh I am sooo on it... I am gagging trying not to vomit from the smell...lmao I have a weak tummy... thanks so much!!
DCMomOf3 10:17 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by newtodaycare22:
He may just have a low body temp (and is sick minus the actual fever part). I'm usually 97 degrees instead of 98.6. I'd check with the parents because some people just have lower regular temps than others. When I go to the doctor with 99 they know I'm sick

Good luck!
This is a lot like me. I'm normally 97.2/97.4 so when I hit 99 it's like 100 to others.
Cat Herder 11:26 AM 01-31-2011
This is also a pretty good indicator of a "dope and drop". If he spikes a temp anywhere in the 4-6 hour range, after drop-off for tylenol (6-8 hour for motrin), you will know for sure.
lvt77 11:34 AM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
This is also a pretty good indicator of a "dope and drop". If he spikes a temp anywhere in the 4-6 hour range, after drop-off for tylenol (6-8 hour for motrin), you will know for sure.
wow interesting! thanks for letting me know. I did not know this and it makes sense.
My Daycare 12:05 PM 01-31-2011
One of my kids and myself have low body temps (96.8-97.3). It's possible. It was not fun when I had to convince my mom that I was sick and couldn't go to school when I felt like crap at 98.6.
lvt77 12:15 PM 01-31-2011
Ihave a thyroid condition so I run very low, almost scary low... Lower than DCB, but I have never known this child to have such a low temp. He seems ok. I actually ended up talking to a NP and she said as long as there are no other symptoms that he should be fine. she had me check his temp with an arm pit thermometer and it was still low, but not so low that it was serious. She then went on to tell me that lack of sleep and food could lower your temp. which made a lot of sense since he had just thrown up and does not ever go to bed until after 11pm....
Greenshadow 01:14 PM 01-31-2011
Normal I think. My temperature has always been 96.8, which was always funny when normal is 98.6! I also have a low blood pressure number so Im cold alot. LOL.
pinkbunny85 03:59 PM 01-31-2011
here's my take on the low temp. ever since I was a kid I usually ran around 96* ...if I vomitted it would go love between 93-96. then it would spike overnight. maybe that's the case with this little one.
QualiTcare 06:43 PM 01-31-2011
maybe i missed something, but he could've just had an upset stomach and vomited without having a fever.
lvt77 06:49 PM 01-31-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
maybe i missed something, but he could've just had an upset stomach and vomited without having a fever.
He actually throws up a lot due to having gag reflex. I was told by our county NP that after a vomiting episode occurs that I need to take his temp to make sure that it is not accompanied by a fever, so I take his temp a lot. He vomits at least 3 times a week or more, but his temp. is always 98.5-99.0, so for him this was very low....I did not know if it was seriuos or not so I thought I would seek your ladies advice...
Tags:abnormal temperature, temperature
Reply Up