Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Dreaded Late Pick Up
Missani 12:46 PM 04-15-2011
My family handbook states that I charge $1/minute late fee after my closing time. However, I like to give parents the benefit of the doubt and felt in the past like they are making every effort to get here on time. For that reason, I have not enforced it (or needed to for that matter.)

Now, however, they are late every night and are not even calling/texting to say they will be late. I am supposed to close at 5:30 and have kids until 5:45 at least 4 nights a week. Furthermore, I have had 3 (out of 4 so far) days this week where ALL of my kids are still there at 5:30. Honestly, not even one has left yet. For this reason, I am going to start enforcing the late pick up fee.

I am sending this note home today, any changes or suggestions?

April 15, 2011

Dear Parents,

Summer is approaching and with the change in weather comes a change in evening activities for our family, and likely for many of you as well. Please remember that *name of child care* closes at 5:30pm. Although I want to make the afternoon commute and pick up as easy as possible for everyone, there has been an increasing amount of late pick-ups recently. While I would love to continue to be flexible in this matter, it is very difficult with changes in Spring/summer scheduling.

As a result, as per the family handbook, I will need to start enforcing the late pick up protocol, effective Monday, April 18th. A late pick up charge of $1/minute will be assessed after 5:30pm. I will purchase a clock to put next to the sign in sheets, which will become the “official timekeeper.” Late pick up fees must be paid in full before the following day’s drop off. Unpaid late fees will be billed to your account and subject to an additional late payment charge. As always, if you know in advance that you will have a day that you will need care later than 5:30pm, please let me know. I will continue to be flexible with this whenever possible and will be happy to accommodate these requests as schedules allow.
Thank you very much!

Sincerely,

"Missani"

Remember, I have great families so I don't feel like I have to "lay down the law" too hard. I just have to get the point accross. I was going to go with Catherder's approach of giving each kid a Mountain Dew and a puppy after 5:30pm!

Also, they are getting 2 copies. One that I am requiring them to sign today, and one for "their records" (to post on the fridge/their iPad/wherever it will get into their heads! I'M CLOSED-PICK UP YOUR KIDS!!)
missnikki 12:52 PM 04-15-2011
Last sentence just needs "with advanced notice."

Otherwise, that plus a brief reminder when you hand it off should do the trick.

Looks good, good luck!
daycare 12:58 PM 04-15-2011
One thing I had to add was regardless of notification anyone who arrives more than 20 minutes late will occur late fees.
I had one family that would show up 20-30 min late or early and then say but I called. It happened every week. Lol. I got a weekly raise from them
missnikki 01:01 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
One thing I had to add was regardless of notification anyone who arrives more than 20 minutes late will occur late fees.
I had one family that would show up 20-30 min late or early and then say but I called. It happened every week. Lol. I got a weekly raise from them
"Ah, glad you made it, bummer about that traffic, huh? Looks like your late fee comes to $23 for 23 minutes."
"But, but, but I called!"
"Fees are fees, and a phone call will not erase them, though it is appreciated."
Missani 02:40 PM 04-15-2011
I know what you mean. I will either have a much shortened work week (at least 20 minutes/day or 1 hr. 40 min./week) or will get a significant raise from enforcing this policy. This week I would have received over $70 in late fees. I would say, on average, late fees as of lately would total $60-100/week. That would give me an average raise of $320/month!
daycare 02:43 PM 04-15-2011
i has one family that abused the call me if your late thing that I started sending a text notification at 5:30 saying your late fees are now starting to accumulate please pick up your child as soon as possible to avoid large late fees...TY...
kidkair 02:56 PM 04-15-2011
I think you should give a reasonable time limit for calling and asking for a later time. Otherwise someone might call at say 5:15 and not get there in time regardless as to what your answer is. Also I wouldn't add the late fees to their bill if you want them to pay prior to care the next day. I would deny care until paid. I have turned them away at the door for non-payment. They don't like it but they learn very quickly.
Meyou 04:06 AM 04-16-2011
It says in my PH that I will waive late fees if there is a snow storm/major car accident/power line down that you encounter AFTER your communte has begun and you call before 5:25. I close at 5:30. I had one family that called several times at 5:29 about a "car accident" so I changed it. I also started calling them on their excuse. If they're calling from 20 minutes away at 5:29 and have just hit the "accident" they were going to be 15 minutes late anyway....I guess they assumed I was a moron as well as a pushover.
squareone 05:07 AM 04-18-2011
i has one family that abused the call me if your late thing that I started sending a text notification at 5:30 saying your late fees are now starting to accumulate please pick up your child as soon as possible to avoid large late fees...TY...
Late is late so I will charge a late fee regardless. However, the ones that notify me in advance get the benefit of a lower rate. If I have advanced notice, they pay $5/hr per child. If they are just a late pickup then it is $1/minute per child.

And by advanced notice I mean preapproved. As in they have requested a late pickup, I have had time to check my schedule and have approved the request. I don't mean call me at 5pm on the day of and say "oh I am running behind and will be 15 mins late today or telling me at drop of that oh, I'm goin to be late picking up today.
BentleysBands 05:24 AM 04-18-2011
sounds great ! wtg for sticking to your policy!!
Tags:late pickup, late pickup letter, letter samples
Reply Up