Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Noticed Children Who
Auntie 10:14 AM 07-20-2011
have HORRIBLE table manners? Most of my children in my class have decent table manners they are 33 months to Kindergarten age. But holy cow do we every so often get a child who has horrible manners.

One child ate his whole lunch in under five minutes. We tell him all the time to slow down. (I would like to serve one portion of the meal at a time to this child but was told we have to offer all at once.)
He puts food into both hands to eat. Oh and he will be 5 in sept.
He eats at though he has never been fed.

Drives me and my coworker nuts. We are constantly correcting this child. We have even gone as far as letting parents know on a take home sheet, that this week we will be talking about table manners during circle time.
Thinking ok maybe this family will get a hint. NOPE CLUELESS! If it is not enforced at home it is a loss cause I am afraid. LOL.

Just wondering if you have noticed this with any of your daycare kids.
Country Kids 10:18 AM 07-20-2011
The ones that drive me nuts are the ones that eat with their mouths open! What gets me is when adults do it! Please close it!
daycare 10:59 AM 07-20-2011
ugh I feel for you.

I have one kid who grunts and does not even know hes doing it. Super annoying. All of the kids are bothered by it and I don't know how to get him to stop.

Another child eats with her mouth open and there is more food on the floor that I think she eats.

We work on proper table manners all the time. I pick one person to who had the best manners to help stack chairs when eating time is over....
SilverSabre25 11:06 AM 07-20-2011
the two who chew with their mouths open and smack and chomp and slurp while they're eating.

Also, one of those is a pokey eater. She would seriously sit at the table all morning if I let her, taking that entire time to finish her food. When we have PM snack outside at the picnic table she sits there for 45 minutes sometimes, just slowly, slowly eating.

I am reminded sometimes of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle story "The Slow Eater, Tiny Bite Taker"
littlemommy 11:15 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
the two who chew with their mouths open and smack and chomp and slurp while they're eating.

Also, one of those is a pokey eater. She would seriously sit at the table all morning if I let her, taking that entire time to finish her food. When we have PM snack outside at the picnic table she sits there for 45 minutes sometimes, just slowly, slowly eating.

I am reminded sometimes of the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle story "The Slow Eater, Tiny Bite Taker"
I have two pokey eaters...that lack the eating part. One girl will pick at her food and eventually eat it after an hour or so. Then she gets to her meat. She puts it in her mouth and lets it sit in her cheek. Today she let it sit there for over an hour. She eventually chews and swallows it, after being told several times.

One boy I have won't try anything. He won't even look at the food. Just pushes his bowl away as soon as I set it down. He hasn't taken a bite of food in months!
daycare 11:20 AM 07-20-2011
my daughetr who was 3 at the time actually fell asleep eating an apple at the lunch table when she was in preschool.
She is still the worlds slowest eater...lol she takes at least 20-30min to eat a bowl of cereal its nuts......
Blackcat31 11:43 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
my daughetr who was 3 at the time actually fell asleep eating an apple at the lunch table when she was in preschool.
She is still the worlds slowest eater...lol she takes at least 20-30min to eat a bowl of cereal its nuts......
I have one who falls asleep on a regular basis while eating. I posted about her with a photo a while back but now it has become a frequent event. LOL!!
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24109
Auntie 01:27 PM 07-20-2011
that picture is so funny.
CheekyChick 01:41 PM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have one who falls asleep on a regular basis while eating. I posted about her with a photo a while back but now it has become a frequent event. LOL!!
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24109
That is HILARIOUS!!!

I've had babies fall asleep during meal time, but never toddlers. So cute...
Tags:table manners
Reply Up