Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would This Be A Good Idea To Give Out To Parents At The Interview?
Auntie 07:22 AM 07-27-2011
Would it work to include in a folder at an interview something called helpful topics that I am always asked about. Tell the parents these are some questions I have been asked about over the years and have printed off some copies that you may find interesting to read.
You don't have to but it is for your own enjoyment.
Include mile stones in developement, easing child/parent anxiety at drop offs, importance of sleep and behavior in the child, child nutrition, exercise and tv watching, discipliing a strong willed child, the importance of saying no.Etc.
When my children were young I loved reading stuff like this. Most parents do want to see where their child is developmentally. For example if I would have read something saying that a well rested child tends to have a higher IQ and tends to be well liked amongst his or her peers. I would make sure my child had the right amount of sleep.
Giving out this type of information at the beginning of doing business with them,providing they read it, may also give them an insight to how you feel as well on these topics and you don't have to say a word.
cheerfuldom 07:31 AM 07-27-2011
I have given out handouts or small bits of info in my newsletter mainly on car seats and things you mentioned. Some parents really are just ignorant of some topics and reading over a handout might be better than hearing it from you (which they may take as criticism)
MarinaVanessa 07:45 AM 07-27-2011
Yep I do it in my newsletter each month when they are small articles. If they are big articles (1 or more full pages) then I print them seperately and attach it to my newsletter. Potential clients get an opportunity to look through previous newsletters and new clients get a few of the most recent ones (2-3 months behind). I keep a copy of the newsletter and any attachments in sheet protectors and keep them in a binder. Every once in a while I go through them and repeat some handouts or articles that are important, rellevent to what's happening etc. For example right around October/November each year my flu, colds, over the counter medication, propper handwashing techniques etc. (handouts from the state) and my sick policy, symptoms for exclusion information etc. always make in into my newsletters just in time for the cold/winter season.
MommyMuffin 07:57 AM 07-27-2011
I have found that lots of parents dont read much of the information I give them. Some I know have used it as a reference in the future.

It is a nice thing to do, I would just be very selective about what you give. Especially if you are using your your printer, your ink, your paper and your time.
Reply Up