Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cell Phone Part 2 Kinda Sad
familyschoolcare 04:00 PM 09-27-2011
So now that my 7th grader has to sit at the kit table to use is phone that is all he does. He used to play cars and legos with the other children. I think it is sad.
Heidi 04:42 PM 09-27-2011
I dont know how long he's there everyday, but how about a compromise? Maybe 30 minutes max per day?
familyschoolcare 05:14 PM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
I dont know how long he's there everyday, but how about a compromise? Maybe 30 minutes max per day?
He can not have it during snack, or homework/quiet time.

So it get taken away when we get here at 3:15 he does not get it back until after snack 3:35 or later, then it get taken away again for homework/quiet time 4-5, so he only has it for less than 25 min. then after homework/quiet time he can have it back usually get picked up between 5:30 - 6:00.

I like the idea of a time limit. As a parent of teenagers I think it is sad that today most "young" people communicate mostly or entirely VIA texting. But that is a little off topic.

I will wait and see with DCB's cell phone use. Mom still has not signed the "new" policies page in regards to the cell phone so I am not sure how she fells about the subject.
permanentvacation 05:30 PM 09-27-2011
Sounds to me like this one child is creating issues for you in your own business. Maybe instead of letting a client try to make you go through extra headaches, worries, trying to change your rules to allow a child to do things that you don't really want done in your own daycare, maybe you should try to replace him with a younger child who would not be bringing a cell phone in and would be a better fit for your daycare the way you want to run it. You can start advertising, then once you get a new child lined up to start in a week or two, give this parent a week or two's notice. Just let them know that their child has really gotten too old to be in your childcare or that he is no longer happy with the toys/activities that you have for the children so it is no longer a good fit for him.

I just would not let a client try to tell me how to run my own business or try to make me make changes that I know I really don't want to make.
cheerfuldom 05:32 PM 09-27-2011
I considered after school kids and was going to have a no electronics policy. If it is here, it stays in the backpack or put up. Maybe I missed it but why do you have to let him have it at all? Even at a separate table, he can still access stuff (that you would then be liable for) or can still be taking pictures and such. Seems like extra work to try and supervise his use and keep the other kids away from the phone. I don't care if he is in junior high, I wouldn't add to the screen addiction. My nephew had all his electronics out on a family camping trip. It was ridiculous....why go camping at all if you are just going to let your kid sit on his bum and play videogames for 3 days?
cheerfuldom 05:35 PM 09-27-2011
also why have you not given a limit on when the new policies must be signed? I always give a one week limit to respond to any new paperwork.
permanentvacation 06:23 PM 09-27-2011
I posted this on the original page of this topic then just thought maybe I should have posted it here since this is the current page of this topic....

I do not allow anything to be brought from the home. If I watch school age children, they must leave everything in their bookbag which stays in their cubbies at all times while the child is in my daycare home.

I would not allow cell phone use in my daycare at all. I would probably rather them put their cell phones in a container (bucket or whatever) on the counter where they were out of the children's reach but I could check them initally to make sure they were not set to record anything.

Here are some potential problems

child takes pics of other children in daycare and place their pics on the internet - which that particular child would not have permission from the other children's parents to have done.

child pulls up ***** on the internet - most likely won't happen, but the provider really can not monitor what the child is doing on the cell phone - basically, the child's behavior on the phone is unsupervised. If found out that did happen, the daycare provider would be in all sorts of trouble with the child's parents, licensing, and the law!

child starts problems with other children through facebook or other internet sites - if found out that happened while under your supervision, you might have problems with the parents of both families and maybe the law - if things between the children get too out of control - afterall, you are supposed to be supervising the child's behavior, so if the child harrasses/bullies another person especially excessively while under your supervision, you might be responsible for allowing that to happen.

child records things said at daycare - which sometimes, things taken out of content can be misunderstood - the daycare provider, having really done nothing wrong might have to explain something that the child has recorded and has proof of that doesn't sound so good - even though the provider knows that it's only a portion of what was being said/happinging. Simply put, the provider does not need any extra worry by a child being able to record whatever bits and pieces they want.

Then of course simple things such as the phone being broken by another child and the parents trying to make the provider pay for a new phone, the unfairness to the other children ( there aren't additional phones for everyone to be able to have one and the one child won't share his one phone), it makes the child with the cell phone be withdrawn from the socialization of the others that are physically around him and he becomes personally anti-social, etc.
cheerfuldom 07:34 PM 09-27-2011
another thing to add to your list....kids racking up minutes or texts or accessing things that must be paid for and later, parents getting mad that you were not supervising use!
familyschoolcare 08:55 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
also why have you not given a limit on when the new policies must be signed? I always give a one week limit to respond to any new paperwork.
I did mom just has not brought the paper in, I will ask for it when I see mom next. New policy went into effect on Monday even tho they paper was not returned to me yet.
familyschoolcare 08:59 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by permanentvacation:
Sounds to me like this one child is creating issues for you in your own business. Maybe instead of letting a client try to make you go through extra headaches, worries, trying to change your rules to allow a child to do things that you don't really want done in your own daycare, maybe you should try to replace him with a younger child who would not be bringing a cell phone in and would be a better fit for your daycare the way you want to run it. You can start advertising, then once you get a new child lined up to start in a week or two, give this parent a week or two's notice. Just let them know that their child has really gotten too old to be in your childcare or that he is no longer happy with the toys/activities that you have for the children so it is no longer a good fit for him.

I just would not let a client try to tell me how to run my own business or try to make me make changes that I know I really don't want to make.
Thought of this and already started advertising not full now as it is. Mom was concerned that he would not be happy with all the "little" kids when she enrolled him but since he was my 2nd day care child she/we decided to see how it goes knowing that I might get more younger children or more older children.
wdmmom 09:32 AM 09-28-2011
Why is it that cell phones have taken over the world?! What happened to parents taking on the world?! We do everyday and guess what?! None of my children have a cell phone and my oldest is a sophomore in high school!

Children today are all about gimme, gimme, gimme. I'm restoring the please, the thank you, the yes maam, the no maam, and the fact that if you want it, you must EARN it!

My children all get the story about how I got my first car, how I rented for years, how I used savings and a settlement to buy a home, how I HAVE to work to provide them with food for their tummies and water to wash their clothes.

My kids know that EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY, NOTHING IS FREE, YOU MUST WORK, EARN AND SAVE FOR THE UNPREDICTABLE, AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WANT AND A NEED!

A cell phone is a want...it's never a need! Especially for a child!!!
familyschoolcare 09:38 AM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Why is it that cell phones have taken over the world?! What happened to parents taking on the world?! We do everyday and guess what?! None of my children have a cell phone and my oldest is a sophomore in high school!

Children today are all about gimme, gimme, gimme. I'm restoring the please, the thank you, the yes maam, the no maam, and the fact that if you want it, you must EARN it!

My children all get the story about how I got my first car, how I rented for years, how I used savings and a settlement to buy a home, how I HAVE to work to provide them with food for their tummies and water to wash their clothes.

My kids know that EVERYTHING COSTS MONEY, NOTHING IS FREE, YOU MUST WORK, EARN AND SAVE FOR THE UNPREDICTABLE, AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WANT AND A NEED!

I agree that is my my teenagers do not have a cell phone
sharlan 01:08 PM 09-28-2011
My granddaughter has had a cell for several years. She also goes to school 20 miles away from home. Mom drops her off 30 mins before school and someone picks her up 30 mins after school. That someone can be Mom, Aunt, Grandma, Grandpa, Dad, or Uncle. Different people pick her up at different spot because of the direction they're coming from.

As for your daycare boy, I'll repeat myself. The cell phone needs to be put away while he is in your home. You will find that it will cause you a lot of problems.

My 8 yo dcb has a cell phone that he keeps in his backpack, but I have never seen it. It does not come out in my home.
Crystal 01:22 PM 09-28-2011
I don't allow parents to use their cell phone in my home, I certainly wouldn't allow a child. What is wrong with READING? If he's bored tell him to read a book.
jen 02:30 PM 09-28-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:

No way in the world my child would be out in the world without a way to contact me at a moments notice. Its 9.95/month and worth every penny...especially once they start driving.
familyschoolcare 03:50 PM 09-28-2011
Update:

Today I have not seen the cell phone, I have not asked if he has it.
wdmmom 06:05 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
No way in the world my child would be out in the world without a way to contact me at a moments notice. Its 9.95/month and worth every penny...especially once they start driving.
I don't know where it's $9.95 a month but I've had my daughter on my plan through my carrier and she's had a Pay-As-You-Go phone and both are far from $10 bucks a month!

And, yes...maybe when she gets to driving, she will have a phone but I there again, it's against the law here for teens to use phones while driving. If they do, they lose their license until they are 18 years old.

When I see kids as young as 7 running around with a cell phone, it's sick! My 13 year old couldn't be trusted with a phone, what the heck makes me think ANY 7 year old can be trusted with a phone?! It's the new "IN" thing and that's all kids want. My 11 year old has been asking for a cell phone for Christmas. Nope. She can get a phone when she can be trusted and when she can pay for it.

I got my first phone at 18 and I had to pay for every penny it cost me every single month. My kids will do the same. It's a luxury...not a NEED!
Cat Herder 06:21 AM 09-29-2011
All 3 of my own kids have them. I get texts like "Mom, The bus just hit a car, we are going to be stuck here for a while and I have alot of homework. Can *** come get me?" "Mom, *** fell off the bus and her ankle looks broken, the driver doesn't believe her. Can you help???" (yes, it WAS fractured when I met the bus in my driveway ) or "Mom, I left my glasses on the counter, can someone drop them off, I have a math test in one hour." (all from the bus) They have been very useful.

But when I kept school agers I limited them to one phone call per day..." Mom/Dad, I am here. Love you." Then I collected them until pick-up (I did not want to be responsible for crazy charges the kids ran up. YES, someone tried to say I should be.)
wdmmom 06:40 AM 09-29-2011
All my children have access to a phone at school and the teachers prefer to communicate via email unless it's important, then they call home. My kids are also age 7-15. None of them have a phone and none of them will until they have the capability of paying for it. A simple phone isn't enough now-a-days. All of my kids want touch screens with internet capability and that's NOT gonna happen....
Auntie 06:40 AM 09-29-2011
My thought is why is a 7th grader in daycare?
mac60 06:43 AM 09-29-2011
A Trac Phone can be purchased with a $10 per month plan. You can "buy" a $20 card, get 60 minutes, and it will last 90 days.

Verizon has a pay as you go plan. I pay .75 per day/$23 per month for unlimited texts, free nights and weekends, .10 per minute for calls between 6 am and 9pm. Can't beat it for the price.

Or Walmart has the Straight Talk plans at $45 per month unlimited texts/talk and some internet useage. Also have a $30 plan with limited talk plan.

I agree that being said, I see no reason for young children to have a cell. They need supervision not a cell. My own kids who are now 20 and 22, my son got his when he was a junior in high school and he paid for it...the Verizon pay as you go plan. My daughter got one her senior year, also Verizon pay as you go plan which she also paid for. Cell phones are not a necessity, they are a want.
Country Kids 06:44 AM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Auntie:
My thought is why is a 7th grader in daycare?
My 7th grader would qualify for childcare because of her age. Not "old" enough to stay home by herself if I wasn't home.
Auntie 07:05 AM 09-29-2011
How old is 7th grade? isn't that like 12 and 13? In our state you can leave a child home alone by that age. HOWEVER, maturity does play a roll in that. It also depends on the amt of time. But after school for 2 hours should be ok to be left alone at that age. IN this state. Then again location of the home, and the type of influences that are around him after school is another thing to consider. Lots to consider I guess.
Times have changed. Kids have changed and started getting into things (such as making bad choices) at an earlier age too.

Maybe he sits there with his phone because he feels so out of place being the older one. There should be some sort of activity center or something set up for that age group so they have something to do after school with their peers. Daycare sounds like too young of a place for that age group that still needs supervision. I would sit with my phone too at that age if I had to go to daycare after school. Poor kid. (Nothing against your daycare meant by that comment just thinking about how this guy feels).
cheerfuldom 07:08 AM 09-29-2011
i wouldn't leave a 12 or 13 year old child home alone, don't care how responsible i think they are.
familyschoolcare 08:52 AM 09-29-2011
Alright rather than quote several people just thought I would respond.

My 7th grade DCB is 12 and yes legal he could be left home alone. However, apparently he is not ready for that. Just found out last night at pick up that he is not dong/turning in his homework. Which means that during homework time his is drawing and/or reading instead of doing his homework.

While my license only covers children until age 12 I can have anyone in my house on a constant bases I just have to count them in my numbers. Meaning that I do not have to follow all the regs. in regards to this child. I do because he not mature enough to handle more "freedom" than the other children other wise he would be going home to be alone.

Just to add to the opinions on wither or not a child should have constant contact with me as a parent. My children do not have a cell phone an very rarely are they somewhere that does not have one, I do have pay as you go phone I can give them when need usually summer time, when going to park ect. That is why my teen aged children do not have phone.

FYI - the DCB in question got his phone taken away for not doing/turning in his homework.
Tags:cell phones, toys from home
Reply Up