Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Apparently I Am A Hairdresser Too....
meganlavonnesmommy 10:32 AM 10-07-2011
DCM came in this morning asking if I could start "doing" her 2 year olds hair each morning because she "doesnt have the time to fight with her" in the mornings about it.

She handed me two rubber band hair things and a comb. I did the girls hair later in the morning, and she was fine, didnt mind that I was doing it at all.

Sure, I have nothing else to do with 7 kids in my house, so I would love to make the time to do her hair each morning. I'll do it right inbetween feeding them all breakfast, changing 3 diapers, packing lunches for the schoolagers, getting them all shoes and coats on and little ones in the stroller so we can get to school on time.

Seriously, it makes me wonder what parents think sometimes.
MyAngels 10:40 AM 10-07-2011
"Oh, that's okay. We don't need her hair done up. We don't have any fashion police here, and then I won't have to worry about anyone eating the bands or clips when she removes them." All while handing the items back to her.
laundrymom 10:53 AM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
"Oh, that's okay. We don't need her hair done up. We don't have any fashion police here, and then I won't have to worry about anyone eating the bands or clips when she removes them." All while handing the items back to her.
this or,....
sure, for an extra ten bucks a week
nannyde 11:02 AM 10-07-2011
This is very easy to solve.

Whatever they say to you ... you say back.

Parent: She wouldn't let me do it.

Provider: She wouldn't let me do it.

Parent: She's fighting me.

Provider: She's fighting me.

Parent: She's crying when I do her hair.

Provider: She's crying when I do her hair.

The root of this is the parent doesn't want to do it because the child gets upset. If you honor that the child gets upset and you don't want to upset her either then it gets put back into the parents lap.

It's "tag... your're it".
TBird 11:11 AM 10-07-2011
I had a DCM that would bring her daughter to daycare in FULL AFRO, expecting me to braid her hair. I was full at the time and there was NOOOO WAY that was EVER going to happen full or not!!!

She came to the door at pickup and said "Oh...I see her hair isn't done." I said "NOPE...I have a full house to care for...I can't just sit here and braid your daughter's hair. You'll have to bring her with her hair done as it states in my contract." She had the nerve to look dumbfounded as if I came out of a bag on her. UGH!!!! THA NERVE of some people!!!
childcarebytori 11:28 AM 10-07-2011
I may be in the minority, but I style/do the hair of my little dcg's every day. During snack in the afternoon, I go around the table while the kids are eating and the girls get their hair done in simple hairstyles (ponytails, pigtails, side ponies, parted with a clip or barrette). It doesn't take much effort on my part and I hate sending home my little girls with a huge mess of hair that they usually end up with after nap.

Thanksfully, though, my daycare parents appreciate it. I always get new clips, barrettes, hair ties, bows, headbands and flower clips to add to my hair accessory stash.

I especially enjoy it when my 'tough' daycare dads walk in and drop off a nice pretty pink set of butterfly clips for their daughter. LOVE IT!
Meeko 11:35 AM 10-07-2011
I have it in my handbook that girls are to come with their hair already done. And done simply.........NOT with a headful of choking hazards.

Little ones tend to pull out twisties, and bows and clips and barrettes etc. I don't want to be responsible for finding them...or have the nightmare of one of my crawlers picking them up and choking on them. Some of those hair accessories are teeny tiny.....
cheerfuldom 11:58 AM 10-07-2011
I did one little girl's hair recently (because the pony mom made came out at nap) and mom was not happy. you're darned if you do, darned if you don't.
sharlan 12:02 PM 10-07-2011
That's what I miss about having little boys. I loved doing the girls' hair up in french braids and pony tails.

My 5 yo's hair is obviously done by Mom before she goes to school in the morning.

I do do a quick spritz w/water and brush the 8 yo's hair in the morning before school.
BusyBee 12:11 PM 10-07-2011
It takes me literally less than a minute to fix my little dcg's hair in the morning. Big whoop. The dad really has no clue, so mom asked me to do it. She supplied the pony holders.
TBird 12:17 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I may be in the minority, but I style/do the hair of my little dcg's every day. During snack in the afternoon, I go around the table while the kids are eating and the girls get their hair done in simple hairstyles (ponytails, pigtails, side ponies, parted with a clip or barrette). It doesn't take much effort on my part and I hate sending home my little girls with a huge mess of hair that they usually end up with after nap.

Thanksfully, though, my daycare parents appreciate it. I always get new clips, barrettes, hair ties, bows, headbands and flower clips to add to my hair accessory stash.

I especially enjoy it when my 'tough' daycare dads walk in and drop off a nice pretty pink set of butterfly clips for their daughter. LOVE IT!
Although I refuse to do hair from scratch, I'm with you....I hate sending kids home a mess. I wash faces & hands and "tidy" hair with a brush or comb from their cubbies. But "tidy" is all I consider myself morally obligated to do....hair styles are a parent's job.
nannyde 12:29 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by BusyBee:
It takes me literally less than a minute to fix my little dcg's hair in the morning. Big whoop. The dad really has no clue, so mom asked me to do it. She supplied the pony holders.
See that's the part I don't get.

How is it that Dad can't have a clue about something you are able to do in less than a minute when he has supplied pony holders and a wife to show him how it's done ? Even if it took him ten times longer than you.... why wouldn't he be able to figure it out?

This isn't about time. It's about parents not wanting their kid to cry. That's where the problem is.
DCMom 12:35 PM 10-07-2011
I don't mind doing it once in awhile, but to have mom come in and expect me to do it every morning...that would bug me.

All my dcgs have a pack of ponies and comb in their cubbies, because like childcarebytori, I like to send them home in pretty much the same condition they came to me in. All the kids get tidied up after afternoon snack.
daycare 12:57 PM 10-07-2011
This would be easy for me.. I dont allow rubber bands, barettes, clips, NOTHING accept cloth headbands.

My son a year ago found a rubber band that fell out of one of the DCG hair. I didnt notice. My son attempted to try to fling it and it backfired and shot him in the eye. My husband was home at the time and had to rush him to the ER. He tore the lense of his eye, it was horrible. the doctor said we were lucky, he could have been blinded by it. He had to go on drops and wear an eye patch so that bacteria did not get in and build an infection. You guys know how much fun it is to put an eye patch and drops in kids eyes...it was such a disaster.

If a child walks in my door with any of the above items, I take them out and hand them bck to the parent or ask the parents to do it and take them home.
Country Kids 12:59 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

How is it that Dad can't have a clue about something you are able to do in less than a minute when he has supplied pony holders and a wife to show him how it's done ? Even if it took him ten times longer than you.... why wouldn't he be able to figure it out?

This isn't about time. It's about parents not wanting their kid to cry. That's where the problem is.

I actually saw a little girl onsie that said "My dad did my hair". My daughter looked at me and said "we needed those when we were little". My husband tried and tried but just couldn't get the hair think for more than a pony tail. I didn't blame him-something most men don't know how to do. Life went on and no big deal.
BusyBee 01:02 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

He has tried and failed. She doesn't cry when any of us do her hair. It is about his skill set. I would rather do it with one of those little ponies that stays in than have him try with a teeny barrette that someone could choke on... He can't even get those to stay in.

These are good parents, not lazy, not clueless. My husband was never able to do our daughter's hair either, so I did. Again--less than a minute. Not taking a big chunk of my day.
caligirl 01:21 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:

Seriously, it makes me wonder what parents think sometimes.
They DON'T
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:

Ok, it might just be me (I have a TON of hair) but eeewwwww! You do their hair WHILE they are eating?!?!

FWIW~ I think it is awesome that you do their hair since it is a wonderful way to bond and build a good relationship but to brush their hair WHILE eating kinda grosses me out. I think it is unsanitary.
mom2many 02:33 PM 10-07-2011
Reading this post made me laugh...my husband can fix anything and is capable of doing just about everything. However, one time when my daughter was 3, I was gone for the weekend. He took the kids to church and did my daughter's hair that morning. I came home later that day to find her pony tail pulled off to the side of her head looking rather peculiar! I know he would have gotten better in time...but that was the last time he was ever her hairdresser!

I've never had a problem fixing the little ones hair, if they need it done in the morning.
Kaddidle Care 02:47 PM 10-07-2011
If you have the time and ENJOY doing it fine. Otherwise.. "Um.. no... that's YOUR job."

I have boys so I love futsing with girl's hair - although I tend to be all thumbs. If I have a full classfull then it isn't happening.

The only time you see me really doing anything with hair would be checking for lice OR if they are just learning to cut and they have long hair - I like to pull it back away from the face in a pony tail so that they don't accidentally cut it.
awestbrook713 02:50 PM 10-07-2011
I am a mom of boys and don't put my own hair up in much more then a ponytail. How they come is how they leave, if mom or dad doesn't feel the need to brush/style their hair I don't either. They are here to play and learn not walk down the cat walk. I try to keep them as clean as possible thats what I think is important, and if a one of my girls says shes hot and would like her hair up I will put it up in a ponytail but thats the most I will do.
childcarebytori 04:55 PM 10-07-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Ok, it might just be me (I have a TON of hair) but eeewwwww! You do their hair WHILE they are eating?!?!

FWIW~ I think it is awesome that you do their hair since it is a wonderful way to bond and build a good relationship but to brush their hair WHILE eating kinda grosses me out. I think it is unsanitary.

Yes, I do their hair during snack. They're sitting, they're safe, they're supervised. I can get hair done on all 6/7 of my dcgs in 10 minutes.

With the exception of one of my dcgs, no one has an abundance of hair and I've never had a problem with any loose hair getting into food.
alysiav 10:34 AM 10-08-2011
I love doing their hair! I do my own daughters every morning so of course the other girls want it done too. Sometimes their hair is already done but they want it done like i did my childs and as long as we have time i do it. I treat these children like they are my own and wouldn't feel right telling them "i will do my daughters hair but your not mine so sorry". I do however ask the parents to supply me with hair ties to add to my stash.
AfterSchoolMom 04:36 PM 10-08-2011
My DH french braids better than I do. Dads can learn. Just saying.
MamaBear 05:50 PM 10-08-2011
I have all boys in my daycare and just one girl. So if I get the opportunity to do her hair, I love it Plus I have 3 sons - no daughters - so I love it the girly time. I need to get more girls here! lol
hoopinglady 08:48 PM 10-08-2011
helper would always make an effort to do the girls' hair in the morning and I always thought that was really sweet...I thought it was a nice time to sit and bond with the girls. It's really not my thing though. I rarely do my own daughter's hair (or mine!)

I thought it was a really nice touch on my employee's part but I think it would be off putting to be asked to do it.
MamaJ 04:56 AM 10-09-2011
Originally Posted by :
Eh, I do my daughter's hair (she's 2) while she's eating all the time. She's occupied, staying still, and in a chair at a level I can easily get to all sides I never thought of it as unsanitary at all. Just thought I'd post that so the OP doesn't think she's strange
Unregistered 06:56 AM 10-09-2011
I pull the girls hair into a pony or a simple braid if it is necessary because I don't mind doing it but I'm not a very good hairdresser so there aren't any french braids or elaborate styles from me...LOL!

I have always kept my hair very short because I don't like long hair on my face or neck but my sisters both had hair to their waists (one still does and it was THEIR choice to keep it long) and I remember my mom brushing their hair every morning and the screaming and bawling from them so that probably also convinced me to keep mine short...LOL! My dad used to feel sorry for them and sit for ages trying to untangle their hair so my mom could get the brush through it easier...she wasn't being mean but she had too much else to do since we had a huge farm and 5 kids ...
Blackcat31 03:18 PM 10-09-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
Eh, I do my daughter's hair (she's 2) while she's eating all the time. She's occupied, staying still, and in a chair at a level I can easily get to all sides I never thought of it as unsanitary at all. Just thought I'd post that so the OP doesn't think she's strange
What you do with your own DD's hair in her own home is a completely different thing versus doing 3 or 4 kids' hair at a table with several other children who are eating.

I, myself, used breakfast time to do my own DD hair as well. However, I wouldn't be ok walking into my child's daycare and seeing the provider going from child to child fixing hair while all the kids were eating.

I never said the OP was strange....I said being a hair dresser during a meal or snack was unsanitary IMO.
Tags:multitasking
Reply Up