Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interesting Experiment....Now What?
cheerfuldom 01:34 PM 03-09-2012
I noticed my group getting more wild and out of control and just couldnt put my finger on what was happening here. I thought it would get better once the weather changed and was just cabin fever, however, it actually started getting worse. THEN one of my 2 year olds happened to come with an early drop off and early pickup. Because she still needs two naps a day, she ended up sleeping when the other kids were up and then she was up when the other kids were napping. This day went so smoothly that I tried it for a few more days. Now that I have some perspective on the situation, I can see that this one child was the instigator for probably 90% of the rowdiness issues. Everytime I tried to re-introduce her back into the group, they would all get ramped up even if she wasn't necessarily doing anything to start it.....some vibe she was putting off? and I started to notice subtle things she was doing to get the kids running, spinning in circles, jumping or hollering. I have also tried seeing what would happen when just her and one other child (taking turns trying with different other children) and the two-some, no matter the combo with her, would start getting rowdy almost immediately. Right now, like I said, the days are back to running very smoothly but that is because the kids are on one schedule, she is on the opposite. She is up when they are napping and stays in the living room with me doing quiet activities. Not an ideal option but MUCH better than all the fighting and craziness that was going on before. Anyone have any ideas about how to handle this other than separating her constantly? She's not bad (as in hitting, screaming or anything) but for some reason, her presence gets the other kids amped up and she spends her time with the other kids trying to get them to run around....she's also the one that is usually the first hurt, will cry if the game does not go her way, will hang her head down and get teary for random reasons. I should add that she is almost 3 (so, not the usually toddler excuse) and has had better behavior in the past....I don't know what could be triggering this.
grandmom 02:26 PM 03-09-2012
I don't have any suggestions, but know your pain. I have a family of 2 who do the same thing to all my kiddos. Completely changes they dynamics here. I'm constantly reminding them to walk, or asking them to find something to do, or go read a book. Anything to get them to break the cycle.
Heidi 06:38 PM 03-09-2012
oh yeah...well 4 of my 5 kids are from one family!
WImom 04:47 AM 03-10-2012
Yep, I have two DCG's too like this. I have had a few Thursday's that they were both not here and those days are so easy going. I have one day where they are both here every week (two different families) and I HATE that day!! Irroniclly they are the same age and have the same name. I told DH I wont' enroll another child named _____ again...lol.
Meyou 05:57 AM 03-10-2012
I just termed my two like this because I couldn't fix it and I was so very, very tired of the drama on days they attended.
Hunni Bee 08:50 AM 03-11-2012
I know what you mean. I have a formerly drop in DCG who has recently become full time. She went from 2 days a week 7 to 3, to 5 days 7 to 6. She was a pretty mellow kid, but always a little socially behind and has a speech thing going on. Well, after this schedule change, she's become a ball of chaos just like your girl. Just always running, talking very loudly, leaving toys scattered everywhere, and just taking the energy level of the room way over. She's 3.5, but more on the level of a new three.

She doesn't cry or tantrum, but she definitely does with her mother, so I see it on the horizon
cheerfuldom 11:41 AM 03-11-2012
chaos is a good way to describe it and since you mentioned it PP, my DCG is also a bit behind in speech and physical skills. maybe this is just pent up energy that is trying to find a release. she is much more whiny and crazy for her mom.
Reply Up