Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Have You Ever Termed a Toddler for Hitting You
Valerie928 09:27 AM 10-29-2019
Dcg 2 lashes out at me a bit. If she is angry because I ask her not to do something ect. She tries to hit me. I have been providing childcare for years and this is a first for me. I have had plenty of toddlers go at each other. I have seen this child hit her mother several times. How do I curb this behavior, when do you decide enough is enough? She is only 2, I get that. However, I am not into it at all. My own children never tried to hit me.
Blackcat31 09:45 AM 10-29-2019
Originally Posted by Valerie928:
Dcg 2 lashes out at me a bit. If she is angry because I ask her not to do something ect. She tries to hit me. I have been providing childcare for years and this is a first for me. I have had plenty of toddlers go at each other. I have seen this child hit her mother several times. How do I curb this behavior, when do you decide enough is enough? She is only 2, I get that. However, I am not into it at all. My own children never tried to hit me.
Yep.

Any child that is comfortable hitting an adult says alot.

Also indicates that it's more than I am willing to deal with.
Cat Herder 10:27 AM 10-29-2019
I did not terminate the child, it was the parent that had to go. Their reaction to the conference to discuss the effects on the other children of violent behavior in group childcare and my expectations of their involvement going forward went very badly. They not only refused to help resolve the problem, but they also seemed to encourage it while denying it was a problem. It was crazy-making.
Snowmom 11:59 AM 10-29-2019
I have not.
But I wouldn't hesitate doing so.
Violence is not tolerated towards me or others. Any child who hits another child with malice is on immediate probation. Any child who thought they could hit me would be gone effective immediately.
DaveA 12:17 PM 10-29-2019
My one immediate term of a child for behavior involved a kid throwing a block at a kid's head then more at me. DCPs saw no issue with his behavior. Even if I hadn't been terming for what DCK did their reactions sealed it.
Ariana 12:47 PM 10-29-2019
In this situation I wouldn’t term right away but you need to do what is right for you. For me there would be a clear consequence for hitting like putting them in a pack and play in the room to calm down. I have had success with hitters by ignoring them if they lash out at me during a tantrum or putting them in a time out in a pack and play while ignoring them. Before they go in the pack and play I say a firm “stop hitting”. Once they have calmed down they rejoin. I do this over and over for a couple of days and it usually works.

Kids like this have never had anyone tell them NO or give consequences for actions so I like to be that person. It’s my little contribution to society! If it continued I would term.
Ms.Kay 02:39 PM 10-29-2019
Yes. Child was constantly hitting and scratching other kids...went in pack n play...after 2 wks and speaking to parents (she did hit mom several times in front of me)....it was still happening....last straw was when kid tried tohit me in the face and I grabbed her hand and said in very stern voice no....mom said she wasnt comfortable with me doing that. I said I dont allow children to hit me....EVER. Bye..bye.
MelissaP 03:16 PM 10-29-2019
I had a four year old kick my husband for turning down the volume on the television over the summer. Had she not been leaving in about 3 weeks after that, I would have termed immediately. She knew exactly what she was doing and I do not tolerate physical assaulting anyone. She was super afraid of not only her husband (she had never heard him raise his voice before) but also of her parents after that outburst (her parents were awesome, I miss them a lot. I do not miss her at all).
I also do not put up with repeated assault on children either and that goes for biting too. I have some pretty strict rules on all of that and if a child knows better and continues to do anything like that, this is not the right place for them.
littlefriends 10:26 AM 10-30-2019
I haven’t had that yet but totally would if it happened and wasn’t being addressed. Not going to be smacked by a kiddo, no way!
Tags:behavior plan, behavioral observation form, home environment, milestones - speech, violent behaviour, violent child
Reply Up